The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Microphone for Trombone?
Old 29th January 2016
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Microphone for Trombone?

What microphones have you used that work well for recording Trombone under $500.00?
The Telefunken M82 and Shure SM7B have been recommended by their respective representatives via email.
Any other suggestions from y'all would be great! Thanks. BG
Old 29th January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Last time I tracked a 'bone I used a Sennheiser MD421 as a close mic and a C414 BULS in omni mode farther back. I was really happy with the sound.

Ribbon mics are good choices too - something like the Cascade Fathead or the Vin-Jet would be great I think.

Cheers!
-Mike
Old 29th January 2016
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I'm a fan of ribbons for my trombones... and brass/woodwinds in general.
Old 29th January 2016
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Akg d112
Old 29th January 2016
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
+1 on the Fathead…I have an inexpensive pair I skip for most things (too dark for my taste) but they sound great on horns so I can't bring myself to sell them yet. Trombones can be surprisingly aggressive in a mic; ribbons seem to tame that a bit.
Old 29th January 2016
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I have used the MXL R40 ribbon on trumpets, off axis. Sounded fine to me. They used to sell for $99. Now I see them priced at $159 with occasional sales for less.

There are some threads on the R40 here if you want to use the search feature to read more about what others have said about them.
Old 29th January 2016
JAT
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've gotten some good ole fashion tone w/ the R40 too. Smooth.
Old 30th January 2016
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
RE20 has worked well.
Old 1st February 2016
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
The sE and TOMB ribbons both have worked well for me. Gimme a call and I'll let you borrow both.
Old 5th February 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sennheiser MD421, and Electro-Voice RE20 have long been my go-to mics for 'bone, and they're both <$500. The times I've used a ribbon mic it worked pretty well also, but none of the ribbons mics I've used were <$500 so that doesn't really help OP.

You should be able to get a 2nd-hand Sennheiser MD441 for <$500 and that would be a swell choice too.

(^^^Obscure trombone geek joke: "swell" Steve Swell.)
Old 5th February 2016
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
+1 to RE20 if ribbons not in budget. That's an extremely versatile mic. I've used it for kick, upright bass, baritone saxophone, and it's the mic I use the most for the VO work on the demos I produce for the TV show.
Old 6th February 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Good and inexpensive ribbon mics

Since this is the low end there are a bunch of great budget ribbon mics in the sub $200 range. MXL-R40, Cascade Fathead, Apex 205, RSM5 lollipop. Have used all of them on horns at some point and they all sound great. Vin-jet is around $300 and I hear it's superb. Never used it personally but have mixed files tracked with one on several occasions. The Apex and fathead are my fav on a budget. Check the Cascade website they have several recordings on there with the Fathead that sound superb. One is a brass trio miked in blumlein. Tasty.
Old 6th February 2016
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Brass? Ribbons ribbons ribbons. Cascade, NoHype, Apex, Golden Age Projects. If you want to splurge: AEA, Samar, Willow River Studio, Shure.

If it has to be a dynamic, I'd choose a Beyerdynamic M88 over a EV RE-20 or a Sennheiser 421, any day. More open and natural-sounding.
Old 7th February 2016
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
RE20
Old 23rd February 2016
Lives for gear

Cascade Fatheads will do you well on trombone as mains or spots.

Old 25th February 2016
Telefunken Elektroakustik

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by homestudioguy ➑️
What microphones have you used that work well for recording Trombone under $500.00?
The Telefunken M82 and Shure SM7B have been recommended by their respective representatives via email.
Any other suggestions from y'all would be great! Thanks. BG
Hi Bob.

Here are some sessions recorded at our facility to hear the M82 in action on trombone as well as baritone sax.

Big Mean Sound Machine live multi-tracks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PejBOoEDT8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMuK4nFZo4U
Old 13th February 2018
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
I posted this link in another thread as well, but I thought it would be appropriate to share it here as well:
I was reading this thread last night and got some good mic suggestions for the trombone session I had this morning. For fun, I put up for different mics in a tight cluster and tracked the trombone on all four simultaneously. I used a Neumann TLM103 through a Universal Audio 6176, a Sennheiser MD421 II through a CAPI VP26, A Beyerdynamic M88 through a Vintech X73, and a Beyerdynamic M160 through another X73. The recordings are dry with no EQ or compression. Before anyone asks, yes, I'm aware that the Sennheiser is a front-address microphone, although it sounds in the record like it was positioned incorrectly (maybe as side address). It wasn't. That's how it actually sounds. And yes, it was set to the 'music' setting on the mic. Hope this helps someone else in the future. :-)

Trombone Mic Shootout by Sam Ecoff | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Old 13th February 2018 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
another vote for the beyer m88: has a narrow pickup pattern, yet goes very low!
Old 13th February 2018
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
RE20 has worked well.
RE20 is real nice. Takes the intensity nicely.
I tend to prefer dynamics on brass.
Old 13th February 2018 | Show parent
Lives for snowflakes

🎧 10 years
In no particular order:
Beyer M88

EV 666

EV RE20

EV 635A

RCA 44

Sennheiser 441

Neuman U47

PZM (taped to a music stand)
Old 15th February 2018
Lives for gear

19 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Doesn't the air mass coming out of a trombone cause risk of blowing the ribbon on a ribbon mic?
Old 22nd February 2018 | Show parent
Lives for snowflakes

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Coates ➑️
Doesn't the air mass coming out of a trombone cause risk of blowing the ribbon on a ribbon mic?
There's nowhere NEAR the velocity of air coming out of a brass instrument necessary to harm a ribbon.

You have much more to be worried about around singers who 'p-pop'.
Old 5th March 2018
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I got beyerdynamic M 201 for trumpet influenced by these Gearslutz comments and have been really happy with it.

Microphone: Live Stage Trumpet.

Best clip-on trumpet mic for live use?

Beyerdynamic m201

If a mic works well for trumpet then I see no reason why it should not work just as well for trombone.
Old 5th March 2018
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
MD 421 is always good, but I do like the coles 4038 to make it a bit warmer. Be careful to not to put the coles too much in front of the bell tho.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

After reading through this & other threads, I became very curious about using a ribbon mic to record my tenor trombone.

Right now I use an AT2035 into a Focusrite 6i6. I put the AT right at my bell for full mellow tone, and pull it back up to 18 inches to thin it out a bit when needed.

Both the Cascade & the Golden Age reps cautioned against putting a ribbon mic too close to a trombone because the air coming out could damage the ribbon. The GA rep thought 1 foot away with a pop screen would offer enough protection.

I ended up trying a Golden Age R1 MKII because it had a higher SPL rating than the Cascade Fathead.

The result -- my AT2035 sounded better both in close & further back vs. the R1 MKII stationed at 12 inches (the closest it could get). Fuller tone and the same clarity. There might have been a passage or two where the MKII sounded a bit better, but it wasn't worth $200 expense, especially since anyone can adjust EQ & compression during production to further enhance sound quality.

The bottom line that I've found for both music hardware & software: try before you buy. Almost everything out there has its fans, but the only way to find out for yourself is testing.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for snowflakes

🎧 10 years
I love an RE20 on Trombone.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
421 is a good bet. Any ribbon, or about any kick drum mic will do in a pinch.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Sennheiser 421-II always wins for me!
πŸ“ Reply