The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RNC Compressors Still Cool??
Old 29th January 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I still have a RNC. I bought it for one reason, to tame higher blips on acoustic guitar recordings. After futzing with it for a whole weekend, I decided it wasnt good for this.

Running inline after the Hardy, it always seemed to impart a thin sound to the recording, especially on the highs. I ran side by side tests with one Hardy channel not using the RNC, so I really gave it a fair shot IMO.

Having said this, I did some vocals with it, in both modes. It sounded very good, and I dont think there is anything in the price range that can touch it, for that use anyway.

It just didnt work for what I wanted it for, but neither did the Avensons.

Great comp for some things, and I can see its worth is "WORTH" every penny, and some.
Old 31st January 2007 | Show parent
1m1
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
RNC Compressors - how do you connect?

I have an RNC, but I've hardly used it. My pre amp is +4 balanced out, and the other place I could insert it is on the analog ins/outs on my Digidesign 192, but that's not very easy to set up cable-wise.

I'm wondering how you are integrating the RNC into your set ups... maybe it'll give me an idea I haven't thought of yet.

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
buy some 1:1 transformers (jensen or something like that). put these together with the RNC or RNLA in a 19" box, e voila, a balanced compressor.
Lives for gear

Its easy just make the 2 or 4 cables you need. i just soldered mine. Out of my pacifica to 1/4 mono into the rnc the 1/4 mono to xlr male.

you need to get cables that are xlr pin 2 to 1/4 tip is hot and xlr pin 3 and 1 are soldered to the sleeve of the 1/4 connecter
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1m1 ➡️
I have an RNC, but I've hardly used it. My pre amp is +4 balanced out, and the other place I could insert it is on the analog ins/outs on my Digidesign 192, but that's not very easy to set up cable-wise.

I'm wondering how you are integrating the RNC into your set ups... maybe it'll give me an idea I haven't thought of yet.
I use a TRS 1/4" patch bay. All pres, lunchbox, and comps and eq hooked up, so is the DMX R100. Works great!!
Old 1st February 2007 | Show parent
1m1
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the ideas, guys. Maybe my RNC isn't just doomed to sit in my rack forever.
📝 Reply