Quantcast
I may have a solution to the Chinese ribbon mics! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I may have a solution to the Chinese ribbon mics!
Old 20th January 2016
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I may have a solution to the Chinese ribbon mics!

So over recent months I have been designing and building these capsules for ribbon microphones. Obviously they aren't a Royer, but they sound pretty damn good. Check out this sound sample:
https://soundcloud.com/gus-turner-54...ne-motor-demos

So along with this capsule all you need is a transformer and a housing. Most people seem to either use an old/broken LDC housing or fashion something out of some copper pipe but the results so far have been awesome!

I cant insert images for some reason but theres one here: Maintenance | Photobucket

The whole concept behind this project was that I couldn't afford a decent ribbon mic so decided to build one rather than buy a cheap tbone one! With that spirit I'm offering these capsules for sale for £30 (approximately $45). The current capsules differ very slightly from the image as they have a little tag on one screw on each end pre tinned for soldering to to make assembly even easier.

If you are interested drop me a PM! Or this link will take you to them: Ribbon Microphone Motor Element Capsule for Custom/DIY Mic 3D PRINTED | eBay
Old 21st January 2016
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
This may be best for the geekslutz thread!
Old 30th January 2021
Here for the gear

interested in your ribbon motor elements-
[email protected]
Old 30th January 2021
Lives for gear
So you're hoping to buy from somebody who only posted to Gearslutz once five years ago to spam the place and didn't even understand that ribbon mics don't have "capsules"... as you said they are called ribbon motors.

Good luck with this one.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLast ➡️
So you're hoping to buy from somebody who only posted to Gearslutz once five years ago to spam the place and didn't even understand that ribbon mics don't have "capsules"... as you said they are called ribbon motors.

Good luck with this one.
Spam the place? What are you talking about?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Spamming as a generic term for trying to sell stuff where it's not allowed.

Glad I wasn't holding my breath for your response.

So did you ever find the 3D printed ribbon "capsules" ???

Not sure what parts were 3D printed but I can't imagine that would be a good thing if it involved the ribbon itself. Maybe some of the mounting parts of it were 3D printed or maybe the OP just thought it sounded cool to throw 3D in because it sounded cool and high tech???

Anyway no surprise, but it seems the five year old ebay link continues to be long dead.

I would imagine you could find somebody selling a ribbon motor for fairly cheap if you look around. I know I've seen some ribbon mic kits around.

Unless you are looking for the experience of soldering a couple of parts together there are plenty of cheap ribbons around. I got my MXL 860 for $80 brand new in the box and my Recording Tools MRP-01 for around the same used.
📝 Reply