The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Soundcraft Signature MTK's status
Old 5th February 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface ➡️
I just bought a PSU off an authorized reseller and installed it and it's working again.

I was going to sell as an analog board only, but figured I could recoup if I fixed it, and for ~$100 USD, at least it's not going in the landfill.

Shoddy work inside though. Just looks like it was assembled by toddlers.

Notice this though:

That's an additional cap on the top (new) one.
The missing / additional parts may not (probably don't) mean anything. Sometimes when a circuit is designed, extra component footprints are included in anticipation of possible future design modifications. It's easier and cheaper to say "do not populate" on a bill-of-materials than it is to redo the layout of a PCB.

I'm not saying that this particular PSU isn't failure-prone -- I think its track record speaks for itself there -- but it likely has nothing to do with the presence or absence of those parts, and more to do with the use of cheap electrolytic caps in the DC output filter.
Old 9th February 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Is there a way to just deactivate the USB part? I love the sound of this mixer and pretty much never use the audio interface portion, but the 8k whine just makes it unusable for recording.
Old 10th February 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I have severe 8 and 16 kHz spikes on my 22MTK but only when the mixer is connected to pc via usb. When I disconnect the usb-cable the spikes disappear. Do you have the 8 kHz even when you have no usb connection?
Old 13th February 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
If you want to completely deactivate the usb part, you can just open the mixer and disconnect the power supply cable from the usb port. It's a quick and easy fix (ok, maybe not so quick because you have to remove a lot of screws to access the inside, but then you have direct access to the board and then you just pull the power connector from it and you hang it to a safe place with some tape or hot glue) and it's also a completely reversible mod (just re-connect the power connector).
The noise floor on the main out is lowered after this mod (but it's still slightly noisier than the groups).

I actually did this mod on my Signature 22 MTK last summer.

I even thought to repurpose the usb buttons as insert buttons or monitor buttons, I think I would have to replace the usb board with a board full of buffers, but I didn't go as far as tracing the connections and designing the board (I'm not trained in electronics, so it's not a quick and easy task for me and I thought that I can live without this feature...).
Old 9th March 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjarne ➡️
I have severe 8 and 16 kHz spikes on my 22MTK but only when the mixer is connected to pc via usb. When I disconnect the usb-cable the spikes disappear. Do you have the 8 kHz even when you have no usb connection?
Hi, Just wondering... How old is your 22MTK?

Did Soundcraft ever fix the (spikes) problem in newer production runs?

I'm asking because I'm thinking of buying a 22MTK (new)...

Much thanks for any advice.
Old 9th March 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I bought my 22MTK in may 2018.
I haven't heard that Soundcraft should have fixet the problem in newer production. But there has been posts on the web telling that Soundcraft service people have informed customers, that they could not solve the problem. They said, that you just have to live with the problem. I think there might be many MTK's that have the spikes in the same degree as mine, without their owners are aware of it, because they haven't payed it attention. Normally I only use my 22MTK for multitracking and never listen to the master out after recording. (I mix on a Si Impact). But when I a year ago recorded a choir and played the master track back on PA-loudspeakers to the choir on location, I heard the 8 kHz spike clearly. (Not the 16 kHz as my ears are 71 years old)
My advice is, that if you buy the 22mtk be sure to make some tests at once and go back to your dealer, if the spikes are a problem.
Old 10th March 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjarne ➡️
I bought my 22MTK in may 2018.
I haven't heard that Soundcraft should have fixet the problem in newer production. But there has been posts on the web telling that Soundcraft service people have informed customers, that they could not solve the problem. They said, that you just have to live with the problem. I think there might be many MTK's that have the spikes in the same degree as mine, without their owners are aware of it, because they haven't payed it attention. Normally I only use my 22MTK for multitracking and never listen to the master out after recording. (I mix on a Si Impact). But when I a year ago recorded a choir and played the master track back on PA-loudspeakers to the choir on location, I heard the 8 kHz spike clearly. (Not the 16 kHz as my ears are 71 years old)
My advice is, that if you buy the 22mtk be sure to make some tests at once and go back to your dealer, if the spikes are a problem.
Good advice - Thanks very much.
Old 11th March 2021
Here for the gear

Hi everyone, I desperately need some help here... is there any way to use headphone monitoring on a 22 MTK with the speakers muted?? I just can't seem to do it. I am trying to monitor the output from Logic whilst recording vocals etc, but when I mute the speakers, I lose the headphones too. Unmute the speakers and the headphone output comes back, mute them and it's gone again.
I've tried toggling the USB RTN for the computer output, if it's off I obviously don't hear anything, if it's on it doesn't matter if I try to mute the speakers because it keeps 21/22 live for intervals. Tried changing the output from Logic to 19/20, same thing - can hear through speakers and headphones unmuted, neither muted.
This is crucial for me to be able to record in my studio so if this isn't possible I may have to return the mixer! Is there a way round this?!
Old 11th March 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

I should say that I've tried routing the Logic output via aux busses and plugged them into a headphone box, but everything comes out one legged. I've used both a mono and stereo quarter inch cable but it's the same with both. Tried plugging the headphone direct into the aux outs too, all one legged. Am I doing something really stupid??
Old 15th March 2021 | Show parent
dix
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I just picked up a MTK 22. Is it just my unit, or do these mixers forget their FX settings when they're powered down (or 'unplugged' may be more accurate since they have no on/off switch)
Old 17th March 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Are you using the 'interval mute' mate? That's not a master mute, that mute's 1-20. You're missing a few fundamentals here I think. You cannot mute the master out. Where you're looking to lower the volume of your monitors, you employ a monitor controller. Your master fader is not a volume control, it controls the level of input 23/24. USB RTN only changes the channel from an input to an output. More help on FB in the SignatureMTK Users Group

Last edited by Bill Dwyer; 18th March 2021 at 12:00 PM.. Reason: url
Here for the gear

Like an electronic circuit... if you cut the power, it resets.
dix
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Dwyer ➡️
Like an electronic circuit... if you cut the power, it resets.
Thanks! Just wanted to make sure I didn't get a lemon. ...rather uncommon for a piece of modern gear not to retain it's patches though.
Old 5th April 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I have a Soundcraft 12 MTK and find it excellent so far, no issues to date.

However, one limitation I am finding is that I now have two outboard stereo effects units that I want to use simultaneously.

Both are stereo in/stereo out effects units, but can be used as mono in / stereo out, and that is how I am having to use them because the MTK 12 only has three aux channels, one of which appears to be dedicated the on-board effects.

I really want to use both effects units as stereo in / stereo out, so I am considering buying a 22 MTK, as this has five aux channels, so I thought I could use four aux channels as two stereo pair sends, leaving the remaining aux for the on-board effects.

However, checking the manual, the 22 MTK has two on-board effects that use aux 4 and aux 5.

Can an owner of a 22 MTK please let me know if I can do what I want to achieve by using aux 4 as the right-side channel (along with aux 3 as the left channel) with my second effects unit, or is aux 4 hard-wired to the on-board effects#1, meaning I cannot use it how I intend?

I use stereo mixer channels for the returns from the effects units.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 9th April 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iambaunch ➡️
I really like my board, it allows me to do a lot with an affordable price tag... lately my mixes have me thinking I might want better converters though.
Sorry, to put my question on this place. You seem to be someone who knows his Signature 12 MTK and I can't find out how to make a new Thread (searching and searching but there just isn't a button New Thread on my site)

I am running out of inputs and since the Brochure states the Sign 12 MTK is 14 in 12 out I figure I could use input 11-12 AT THE SAME TIME as routing back the computer audio (via USB). But I can't find out how. Do you have any idea?

Help would be much appreciated.
Old 10th April 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kareldejong ➡️
Sorry, to put my question on this place. You seem to be someone who knows his Signature 12 MTK and I can't find out how to make a new Thread (searching and searching but there just isn't a button New Thread on my site)

I am running out of inputs and since the Brochure states the Sign 12 MTK is 14 in 12 out I figure I could use input 11-12 AT THE SAME TIME as routing back the computer audio (via USB). But I can't find out how. Do you have any idea?

Help would be much appreciated.
I'm not an expert on the Signature 12 MTK by any means, but I am successfully using channels 11 & 12 at the same time as bringing the Master audio back to my PC (running Ableton) via USB on channels 13 & 14, which are dedicated to the Master Return.

Make sure you have the USB Return button deselected (pressed out) on Channels 11 & 12 and use the phono inputs at the top of the mixer adjacent to the USB socket.

I was also able to record the audio on channels 11 & 12 back to the PC and play that recorded channel audio back out to channels 11 & 12 with the USB Return button selected (pressed in).

Cheers,
Steve
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

signature 22

hello everyone
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

signature 22

i need soundcraft signature 22 schematic daigram please help me
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Hello,

Long thread...thought of posting here instead of starting a new one.

Looking into the 22MTK. I like the one knob compressor on my xenyx mixer though, and the MTK has limiters but not compressors. Can this limiter emulate a one-knob compressor in any way? Maybe by driving the gain of the channel and engaging the limiter? Anyone with experience with both could chime in?

It is mainly for drums from an analog drum machine: kick, snare, hihats, and maybe a synth...Thanks.
📝 Reply