The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mackie CR3 vs Presonus Eris E4.5 as second set of monitors to complement Eris E8
Old 3rd December 2015
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Mackie CR3 vs Presonus Eris E4.5 as second set of monitors to complement Eris E8

Hello, fellow gearslutz!

I hope to hear some thoughts and advice on the subject, preferrably from experience.

Backstory (beware of TL;DR):

A year ago I got myself M-Audio AV40 as a pair of first monitors to complement Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro in terms of space and panorama adjustment. Therefore I was OK with not so ideal frequensy response. Room treatment wasn't (and isn't) an option beacause my home studio is in a rented apartment. Hopefully I'll be able to move to my own place in a year or two.

It was smooth sailing since then, but decided recently to replace my desk with bigger one, and it led to change of speaker position. I could set speakers further from walls and wider (equilateral triangle). The change was huge. So I went on and bought Ultimate Support speaker stands. It became even cooler. But uneven low end (deficit from 4 inch woofer and excess from from back port facing corner) set me on a quest for bigger front ported speakers.

I ended up with Presonus E8. At first I was worried with them being to big for my room (4x5 m) but since I got same price for them as for KRK Rokit RP6 I thought what the heck and went for it.

E8 are really good. I could get more done without retreating to headphones.

So AV40s were put up for sale and got picked up for a good price surprisingly quickly and without bargaining. So I got funds to buy a new set with just a small addition.

Now I'm in a kind of seller's remorse. I liked them, despite overheating and loud pop they produced every time I turned them on and off.

So I wonder what would I gain using 2nd pair of cheapo speakers. The sale went so fast I couldn't get the scheme tested by myself.

The questions are:
- Would one benefit from second pair? Is it useful? I like my gearslutting frugal so I need a sound reason for a cash splash.
- If yes, what would be better option? I chose a bunch:
-- Mackie CR3. Pros - cheapest of the pack, smallest footprint, pads included, front power switch. Cons - 80hz-ish limited bass response, back port.
-- Mackie CR4. Pros - same as CR3 switch + 4 inch woofer. Cons - back port.
-- Eris E4.5. Pros - biggest woofer. Plenty of acoustic adjustment options. I can get same price as for CR4. Cons - back port. Biggest footprint on a desk.
-- Behringer MS40. Pros - front port. Cons - I dunno, Behringer? Also ugly as hell.
-- Presonus Ceres 4.5 and 3.5.
- Should I stop feeding my GAS monster and use the money elsewhere?

I auditioned CR3 and CR4 in local store and liked them both. Of course CR4 gives more bass, but I found high end better on CR3. Mayby because CR4 were defective (passive speaker had 1/4 of volume). I can audition Behringer same store.

I can buy online and return all of these. They are basically same price more or less.

Please let me know what you think of it.
Old 4th December 2015
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 5 years
No one has anything to say? Hm... This can't be true
Old 4th December 2015
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Not that I'm an expert in anything here, but I would just simply buy a set of cheap logitech computer speakers or something and use those as a set of generic speakers to test your mixes in. It's what "most" people have anyways, so if you can test your mix in them. Just my .02
๐Ÿ“ Reply