Quantcast
If you had to do it all over again... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
If you had to do it all over again...
Old 9th October 2002
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Question If you had to do it all over again...

Would you have bought the same gear now that you did when you first setup your studio? Or would you try to get something different and cooler, maybe go in another direction?
Old 9th October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Taking into consideration my ears are better, I have more experience with a much wider selection of goodies, the purpose of the studio has changed, and I'm a wee bit wiser (I said 'wee' bit! )... No, I wouldn't get the same stuff I started with. Actually, I only have one piece of kit left in the rack from the original incarnation of the studio... a DA30 mkII. As it stands I'm pretty pleased with the direction I've gone, the sounds I get, and the rig I have, but the search for diversity and improvement continues. Now if I can only score a better space (and maybe a Radar)!
Old 9th October 2002
Founder

Touch wood, the big choices have been ok

Pro Tools - still popular

Apogee AD8000's - lasted a LONG time as a product

ProControl - Still cutting edge in the Digidesign product range

It seems to have been a good survival package...... so far.

yuktyy
Old 9th October 2002
There is only one

🎧 15 years
man, i LOVE my digitech multiplay. and i like my alesis Q2 a lot too... not for verb or anything but its EFFECTS are pretty cool and its super easy to program new patches. i want a couple more Q2's.

i would do nothing different studio wise...
Old 9th October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I would do it solo.
Fortunately Dave Fridmann told me to only buy stuff that I'd use in 10 years. It's about ten years later... I haven't sold anything.
Old 9th October 2002
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
That's good advice. I really don't have much left from the first incarnation of the studio. Just a DA-30MkII, a Behringer Composer (by default, it's not worth enough to sell), the SM57s, D112, 58 and my Meek VC6.

If I was going to do it over again I'd probably start with a 1/2" 8 track and buy less gear better higher quality pieces. Working on less tracks probably would've made me a better engineer in the long run. Some of the first things I did in high school on a 4-track don't sound that bad.
Old 10th October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah I wouldnt have bought so much crap just to be able to be up and running. Instead I would have bought a couple really good mics and good pres and done something pretty minimal until i collected more gear. Cause now I'm going to sell a bunch of crap thats been replaced by better equipment.
Old 10th October 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If I knew then what I know now...

Started out with what I thought of as 'studio' gear with a Mackie 24|4, some audio technica mics, a couple of SM57s, and an Otari MKIII 1/2" 8 track. Before that I struggled with a boombox with a mic in it and then my friend's 4 track and a mic which he never used.

I wouldn't trade the way I learned to use that stuff for the knowledge of recording that I have now. Most of all, because it made me develop a way of working that I still use today. Obvious lessons but:

1) at least play something worth hearing
2) make the instrument you're playing sound good
3) help out #2 by setting up the mic in the spot where it sounds best

Learning to mix was secondary to the above. The raw practice of recording is what I would not trade for what I know now, nor can the two be separated.

And no offense to Steve Remote, but I surely wouldn't have tried gearing up for remote work like I did. For a time, I thought that was what I wanted to do, until I realized I knew very little about it compared to working in the studio (or rehearsal room.. way back when).
Old 10th October 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Oh yeah, can't forget when I got my VS-880 and added it to the Mackie rig. That thing was cool, and it was probably the best neanderthal introduction to a Pro Tools like world that I could have learned from. That got me stuck on hard disk recording even though I hated the sound of it at first.
Old 12th October 2002
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I'm kind of lucky in terms of this topic. I had been an employee for about five years. I spent the boss’s money to upgrade the studio. We took the "old" gear and put together a B-studio. When he decided to get out I was able to buy only but the pieces I liked and skip the ones I didn't (ie.dbx silver series, ADATs). I did buy the composer because in a pinch it can be useful. There were a couple pieces he didn't want to give up, but he has lent me these items indefinitely.
Old 12th October 2002
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
You know, most of what I bought 10 years ago is still in use. The 1604's were sold a few years ago, but they did what they needed to do at the time. The only gear that I ended up using very little (though I still have them) are a pair of DBX 160A's.

The DA-88's, the Drawmer gear, (and a little later, the Manley stuff) that I bought kind of because I didn't know better still works just fine.
Old 21st October 2004
Company Rep

🎧 15 years
bump
Old 21st October 2004
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
I cannot image doing anything else...

But, if I could go back and change something it would be my first truck's first design. I started my business and built my first truck when I was 19 years old. I thought I had a clue... I was a bit off the mark.

I spent plenty of bread building that truck but, I knew I had to do something about it so it can work for me. I redesigned then ripped out the first build and rebuilt it the following year. By the time I was 21 my second shot at building a real truck took. I went on to record and broadcast many major label bands... I haven't looked back since.
Old 21st October 2004
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I dunno, sometimes I think if I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have bothered. There's something to be said for the illusion of security at a corporate hell...

But those are evil thoughts, and I shouldn't be thinking them. Besides, I've already started, then quit, then started over, so I guess I sorta already knew then what I know now...

...and there's something to be said for *not* having to deal with a corporate hell, security bedammed!!

-GRW
Old 22nd October 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Here's what I have now:
Tascam DM-24
Alesis HD24
Lexicon PCM91
2 Tascam DA88
Tascam CDRW5000
a bunch of DIY preamps and compressors
a bunch of mics

What would I do different? Plenty.
Maybe a reasonable Soundcraft or that sort of analog board, used, skip the DM-24
choose one of a HD24 or three DA88
More mics

I still probably would pick a digital recorder but not Protools or that sort of thing.

-Dale
Old 22nd October 2004
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I wouldn't really change anything either. 10 years ago I put my first semi-pro studio together to record my CDs. The only things I no longer have are the 3 Adats and Mackie 8/24 board. I bought 8 channels of Millennia so I never used the pres in the Mackie. Just used it for monitoring. Got rid of it and the Adats 6 years ago. Got more Pres (mainly Millennia), mics, compressors, went the DP route. Then the Metric Halo route. I still havbe a Motu 1224 I can't get rid of though . . .
Old 22nd October 2004
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by dale116dot7

What would I do different? Plenty.
Maybe a reasonable Soundcraft or that sort of analog board, used, skip the DM-24
choose one of a HD24 or three DA88

-Dale
I'll make you a deal on three DA88's...
Old 22nd October 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Bought a Tascam DA60 mkII when I started, I thought I needed the TC options, but instead I found myself not needing any DAT at all..
Sold it, lost some solid money.

During startup I also bought the TubeTech Lca2b, if only I've
known that I would like Cl1b much better...

But we learn from experience, and it's a bit unfair to judge my
rookie days

ruudman
Old 22nd October 2004
I would have been way more selective in the talent I worked with.
Some music should be further then a room away!

I also would have never opened my place for buisness.
Those years were by far the bottom of my musical life.
To much thinking about money and not enough about music.

D
Old 23rd October 2004
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
I would've bought high end pres/ channel strips, tossed most of my plug-ins, got a nice tape machine, but kept pro tools for editing.

Thats what i would do if i could do it again

Oh yes, and bought some slutty ass, warm, vintage, tube mic

lol
Old 25th October 2004
Han
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Back in the early nineties the ADAT and DA88 machines came. That time I decided to buy a brand new Tascam MSR24S which I'd never regret. It has given me nothing but good sound and it never let me down.

Everybody knows the horror stories about ADAT.

In 1996 I was thinking about ProTools, but didn't care for the sound, so I bought a used DDA-AMR board and an Otari two inch machine, no regrets either.

The board had some minor problems like dirty connectors and the Otari had a capacitor blown and that's all.

If I had gone the PT route I would have to update every two year, my gear is payed for and the studio is booked more than reasonable.
Old 26th October 2004
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Yeah.............What every body else said!thumbsup
Old 2nd November 2004
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Re: If you had to do it all over again...

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
Would you have bought the same gear now that you did when you first setup your studio? Or would you try to get something different and cooler, maybe go in another direction?

i wish i could turn back the clock and start over.

Here's what I'd choose.

Yamaha 02R 96 AND Yamaha 02R96V2K Version 2 Upgrade Kit.

Apogee Mini-MP AND Apogee Mini-DAC

Avalon AD2044 AND Drawmer DL251

yummy
Old 3rd November 2004
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I would have kept my C3, Rhodes, Clavinet, Moog and Super Jupiter. I would have bought a Soundcraft board instead of the Mackie which is on its way out. But those instruments predated any interest in the engineer side of the console and the Mackie postdates on sitting at the keyboard.

But no matter what I have bought and sold, lost or kept, wanted or didn't want, loved or hated, I have through it all always put the highest premium on musicianship and musicality and what I learned is priceless and can never be taken from me.

Of course I would do things different if I had it to do again but I would not be who I am and I would not have the abilities I have.

The only thing left is to paint my masterpiece. No piece of gear will make any difference however, the invention of sampling and digital recording has certainly expanded my pallete.
Old 3rd November 2004
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
If I had to do it all over again, I'd stay away from that blonde singer.
πŸ“ Reply