The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Shure PGA181
Old 3rd August 2015
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Shure PGA181

Can't find any reviews for this thing. I'm curious about how it sounds for speech/voice over. lol
Old 7th March 2016
bee
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Anyone get one yet?
Old 21st June 2022
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechacaseal ➡️
Can't find any reviews for this thing. I'm curious about how it sounds for speech/voice over. lol
Super old post...I use 1 for vocals live with a serious shelf at 450hz but it’s amazing and silky. Brilliant mic but need to spend some time learning it
Old 30th June 2022
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
There’s some videos on YouTube with people using it for vocals. It sounds fine for that purpose. Try it out. I have one but use it for drum mono overhead. Sounds great!
Old 30th June 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I haven't heard one but you got me a bit interested so I started poking around and found that oddly there is no self noise spec listed for this mic almost anywhere including the Shure user guide for it.

Finally I found it answered in a question posted to the FAQ on the Shure site.

The answer is 22dba which is a bit high for a modern mic so I guess maybe they don't want to draw too much attention to this.

Kind of lousy in my opinion for Shure to choose to omit this as self noise is usually a pretty regular microphone spec to list.

Certainly plenty usable on loud things like drums but getting a little into questionable territory for quiet sources if noise really matters to you.

Just for comparison the AT2020 (also $99) has a self noise of 20dba and the Chessparov cheapie favorite, AKG P120 is 19dba.

There are some quiet mics for cheap though. The Mackie EM-91c has a self noise of 16dba and goes for only $49. Whether it sounds warm or dull is your call but at least it's not harsh and bright and really all of these mics are $99 or less so how much can you complain really?
📝 Reply