The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Altomusic.com - Good, Bad, or...... ???
Old 5th June 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Altomusic.com - Good, Bad, or...... ???

I've seen Altomusic's ebay store, but not until today did I realize they also had real brick and mortar stores in New York. I don't find much in a Google search for opinions on good, bad, or otherwise. It seems like they've got a decent selection of gear at reasonable prices, but sometimes decent prices come at a cost of customer service not being too great. Any opinions y'all could share?
http://www.altomusic.com/

Thanks!!

Last edited by MarkF48; 6th June 2015 at 12:18 AM..
Old 6th June 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
They're superb. I've bought lots of gear from them. Good prices, fast shipping and good customer services. I've had to return something once and they were very prompt with issuing a refund.
Old 6th June 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarboy94 ➡️
They're superb. I've bought lots of gear from them. Good prices, fast shipping and good customer services. I've had to return something once and they were very prompt with issuing a refund.
Same here
Old 6th June 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I bought a refurb GAP EQ from them with no issues.
Old 6th June 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF48 ➡️
I've seen Altomusic's ebay store, but not until today did I realize they also had real brick and mortar stores in New York. I don't find much in a Google search for opinions on good, bad, or otherwise. It seems like they've got a decent selection of gear at reasonable prices, but sometimes decent prices come at a cost of customer service not being too great. Any opinions y'all could share?
Alto Music | AltoMusic.com | (845) 692-6922

Thanks!!
Been dealing with them for over a decade, they are terrific.

TH
Old 6th June 2015
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Hey Oceantracks...what do you think about Alto Music?
L.
Old 6th June 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've had nothing but great service from them for almost 15 years, I would recommend them also.
Old 6th June 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Bought Kurzweils -- back 20 years ago .. Fair & reliable ~!
Old 6th June 2015
Lives for gear

31 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I've bought from them as well. Great customer service.
Old 6th June 2015
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
A special order item was taking a long time to ship from the manufacturer and they stayed on top of it for me and communicated regularly. Worked out fine in the end and great customer service. They also frequently offer 5 or 10 percent sales that are good for just about any product unlike those musician friend sales that exclude most of the major brands. I subscribe to their mailing list and if there is something i know I'm going to pick up i just wait for one of the sales. Free shipping must of the time too.
Old 6th June 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Some other top notch places to buy gear: Zen Pro Audio, Unique Squared, BH Photo, Pro Audiostar. Have had great experience with all of those places. Sometimes they'll even hook you up with an unpublished discount if you contact them and ask. One time I went onto the Pro Audiostar website and asked somebody through their IM if they could get me a better price on a certain mic. The guy said, sure, how about another 15 percent off? I said "sold!"
Old 6th June 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
All sounds good and I did order a manufacturer refurbished set of Audio-Technica ATH-M50x Professional Monitor Headphones last night, so seeing all the positive responses gives me some confidence of them being a reputable dealer. Not seeing them on the radar like Sweetwater and a few others that get mentioned frequently, just wasn't sure about them.
Thanks.........
Old 6th June 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I got my Warm Audio TB12 from them demo unit $500 it was a no brainer.
Old 7th June 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF48 ➡️
Alto Music | AltoMusic.com | (845) 692-6922

Thanks!!
Another vote of approval for Altomusic. I bought an interface from them a while back and they were a total pleasure to deal with.
Old 7th June 2015
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Alto was my hometown music store growing up (I've since left town and miss them horribly, even though I'm in Nashville and have Vintage King and Gruhn's) and I can't say enough good things about the people who work there and their customer service. Really really great place all around, I wouldn't hesitate to buy through them online.
Old 8th June 2015
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
The only thing I'd ever bought from them was a hardshell case for an Epi Les Paul, but it was a painless transaction end to end & I wouldn't hesitate to purchase anything from them again. I say go for it, they won't dissapoint. Hope this helps.
Old 9th June 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
No issues the times I've used them... They seems great
Old 10th June 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I bought some Digisnakes and some other accessories when I did my big upgrade a few months ago. Super quick shipping, better price then anyone and exactly as described.

After banging my head against the wall with the new sales kid Sweetwater has given me Alto will be getting a lot more of my business.
Old 10th June 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Alto is superb. One of the best out there
Old 11th June 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I received the headphones I had ordered and they arrived within a few days of when I placed the order . The only problem I encountered upon opening the box was the wife asking where "her" package of candy was .

I can't believe after many years of ordering music gear online that I never had come across Alto Music other than seeing their site on ebay. I never thought about looking to see if they had a normal online store. They are added to my "go to" list along with B&H Photo and Sweetwater.

Regarding the headphones I bought, they may be factory repacks, but the only difference is the box they came in which is plain white. All accessories and documentation was included. Good deal considering the normal new price. They do sound good too .
Audio Technica ATH-M50X Factory Repacks | AltoMusic.com
Old 11th June 2015
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Awesome; I've been dealing with them for approx. 20 years. BTW -some of the same people still work there - shows how well they must treat their employees.
Old 30th July 2020
Here for the gear

alto music problem

purchased a new gibson acoustic and after 5 days it wont play the high e string. I called alto and they blamed it on the weather and wouldnt help. They didnt mention they shipped it drop trailer fedex and it sat in a phoenix drop yard in 115 heat. Thats probably 140 in the trailer. But now its the humidity in my a/c home. same thing happened a gc years ago, they paid return shipping and sent a new one.
Old 30th July 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
In my experience they are what Sweetwater pretends to be. Great place.
Old 30th July 2020
Lives for gear
Good experiences, no bad experiences
Old 31st July 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by harveydog ➡️
purchased a new gibson acoustic and after 5 days it wont play the high e string. I called alto and they blamed it on the weather and wouldnt help. They didnt mention they shipped it drop trailer fedex and it sat in a phoenix drop yard in 115 heat. Thats probably 140 in the trailer. But now its the humidity in my a/c home. same thing happened a gc years ago, they paid return shipping and sent a new one.
Wait, so it was fine for the first few days and on day five there was a problem?

Been going to ALTO for 20 years, they are as good as it gets.

TH
Old 31st July 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Got a “b-stock” m88 from their reverb store for about $250 (mic is usually $399 new). I don’t know what’s b-stock about it it’s cosmetically flawless and functions perfectly.
Old 31st July 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I am the original poster of this thread. I have bought a few things from them since the original post and all but one (a used looper pedal that was intermittently faulty) has been a good purchase. They issued an RMA for the faulty looper pedal and return shipping label and a few days after receiving it back they verified the problem with it and issued a refund. Recently got a Zoom A1X Four acoustic pedal and it was shipped super fast via Fedex.
Old 12th September 2020
Here for the gear

I was sent the wrong piece of gear and 3 months after I returned their mistake, they are now “sending me to collections.” Just stick with Sweetwater bud. This place is a garbage can.
Old 12th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gage L ➡️
I was sent the wrong piece of gear and 3 months after I returned their mistake, they are now “sending me to collections.” Just stick with Sweetwater bud. This place is a garbage can.
Kind of sounds like there is more to the story that you aren't including.
Old 13th September 2020 | Show parent
Deleted 6833614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gage L ➡️
Did you trash it, return it, get a refund before they could test it, once they found out it's not in the "original condition", they tried to charge you, you refused to pay (maybe even cancelled the card) and now they're trying to recoup their losses by trying to collect?

Of course it could be something else...

I personally had nothing but great experiences with them.
📝 Reply