Quantcast
M7CL Vocal Doubler? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
M7CL Vocal Doubler?
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
M7CL Vocal Doubler?

Is there a vocal doubler in the effects of the M7? I don't have one in front of me to look at...and Yamaha's site didn't have a list of included effects The band is doing a Foo Fighters tune so I wanna play with the infamous Dave Grohl double vocal sound
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I am not sure either, but if not, a fall back is to set up a pitch effect with a slight detune and pitch up with a little pre delay. This will get a reasonable outcome for what you are wanting. Alternately, the Yamaha has one of the best inbuilt chorus FX of any digital console. Just dial up some vocal chorus. A little delay and modulation, and you will get there.
Old 15th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Chorus is a common solution although I have never liked the sound of chorus. I use a stereo pitch shifter, about 10 cents up on one side and ten cents down on the other side. I don't like the delay either but add to taste.
Old 15th March 2014

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Live or studio? If studio, why not just record real double tracks. It's quite hard to nail doubling artificially, because the ear picks up on modulation and spots a fake. Even the famous Abbey Road ADT used by Lennon had a lot of randomness in it due to slippage in the tape machines, and possibly some manual tweaking of the speed controller - they used to ride the tape power supply oscillator frequency like playing an instrument.

TC Voice FX have a reasonably good doubler algorithm that is based on their pitch correction algorithm, and you can use any other pitch correction in a similar way. Your slightly out of tune real vocal is mixed with a slightly corrected vocal, together with some delay and a few other humanising tweaks. With the VoiceLives this algorithm is deeply tweakable so you can get something to your taste.

You could experiment with a mixture of pitch shift and very slow vibrato and another slightly faster vibrato. The end result would wobble all over the place in a pseudo random way that your ear would never pickup up the pattern. Especially if you use prime numbers so the LFO's don't have common factors that align up regularly.
Old 15th March 2014
I think you can assume its live as the m7 is a live desk and this is the live sound subforum
Old 17th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Couldn't you also use a mono delay and set the feedback to repeat only once, and delay it SUPER short?
Old 17th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit143 ➑️
Couldn't you also use a mono delay and set the feedback to repeat only once, and delay it SUPER short?
You COULD although delay times under 30ms will generally just sound like a comb filter (because it is a comb filter) whereas delays longer than 30ms will just sound like delays. YMMV though.
Old 17th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Thanks for the thoughts! Yes it is for a live gig. I will probably start with the modulated delay and layer on other effects as needed.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…