Quantcast
Anybody tried/used the FBT Vertus system? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anybody tried/used the FBT Vertus system?
Old 11th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Anybody tried/used the FBT Vertus system?

Just wondering if anyone has used the FBT Vertus? I'm looking for a system to use mainly for vocals with backing track but also to play some tunes at weddings etc up to 150 people.

Anyone heard this system or the HK Audio Elements?

Many thanks,

Neil.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
New portable "line array" from FBT (Vertus) - Forums

I think there is a happy FBT Vertus user on the thread linked to above.
Old 12th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo filters ➡️
New portable "line array" from FBT (Vertus) - Forums

I think there is a happy FBT Vertus user on the thread linked to above.
Hello. That would be me. I got the first set in January of last year and then another 2 subs and 2 tops later in the year. I've been mostly happy with the system, but it's not perfect. In a nutshell

PROS
- size and weight
- looks
- best highs I've ever heard in a live speaker period
- The subs sound great for their size and are comparable output to the subs I was using that were 2X the size, but still small (RCF 705-AS and Yorkville LS700P). And the FBT subs sound better than those subs. 2 per side and you get some nice low end out of a very small footprint
- They do throw the highs better than any conventional box I've used
- Coverage is wide for spoken word applications (see cons for live music)

CONS
- Blow-back from the mains is considerable
- Needs more EQ than I'm used to using with the 2K-4K range needing to be knocked back quite a bit
- Tops not as "meaty" as my RCF 522A mains
- the way they connect to each other and to the subs is just plain silly and a poor design
- The vertical dispersion of the highs is extremely narrow at 15 degrees making it hard to deploy when the audience is right up on you
- The tops being so thin and one of the horns low when used in multiples per side, the sound can be blocked by someone standing right in front of the speaker, which happens surprisingly more often than you'd think.
- Coverage is great to 5K, so spoken word is fine, but then narrows horizontally pretty drastically above that so live music has a "sweet spot" that's smaller than the total coverage area.

At the end of the day I've moved back to my 522A's over the FBT subs for bar gigs and use the FBT mains for weddings and corporate gigs, which is about 1/2 of our bookings. I've also moved back to an external crossover over the last month as the slope of the Vertus is more gradual than I care for. I'm assuming it was done to take some burden of the low mids off the small 4" drivers. With an external crossover I can get tighter bass and a fuller sound out of the FBT tops at the expense of a few dB's of output. Basically, I get better results with the crossover than I do trying to fix it with EQ.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
FWIW, here's the Vertus with just 1 top and sub per side in a smallish room used for a wedding reception for around 150. Almost all sound is coming from the FOH as we use e-drums and no amps on stage except for a small kickback bass amp.

Next Exit - Play That Funky Music - YouTube

Here's some covert video from another reception with 2 per side. I was singing and holding the camera while people were dancing into me so it's not great, but gives you the idea.

http://youtu.be/a7Yne_tz8Hc
Old 12th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks Absurd, that's really helpful. I think from what I've heard they will more than do the job. I don't really want to be carrying big 15/18inch subs around, I don't have a great back and I travel solo. From what you've said about the tops I'm guessing they're good for vocals and the subs sound pretty powerful. I can only just afford 2 x subs and 2 x tops at the moment. They're nearly £3000 here in the UK so not cheap.
I think I'm gonna hear them on the 29th so I will let you know how I get on. I'm trying the HK Elements too that day although I don't think they'll be powerful enough.

Thanks for you help :-)

Neil.

Last edited by NeilKristopher; 12th March 2014 at 08:00 PM.. Reason: SPelling
Old 5th February 2017
Here for the gear

Here's my Review of the superb FBT Vertus CS1000 Speaker System: http://www.stevebriers.co.uk/blog/re...-fbt-vertus-40
Old 5th February 2017
Here for the gear

Rich Clean Bass & Crisp Mid range & Top End, A Compact Powerful System.

Here's my Review of the superb FBT Vertus CS1000 Speaker System:
Steve Briers Disco Roadshow - Pembrokeshire
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…