Onstage mixer for dual Trumpet&Vocal fx - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Onstage mixer for dual Trumpet&Vocal fx
Old 11th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Onstage mixer for dual Trumpet&Vocal fx

Hey. First time slut so be kind!
So for years I've done vocal & trumpet effects & loops live on gigs. Now I want to set it up more professionally, and with a seperate mic for trumpet.
I am thinking best for me to run a mixer with aux sends, voc & trumpet panned seperately. With a few line channels to run fx into which could be tweaked, and possibly run as a seperate channel alt 3/4 out. I'm demoing it at home on a 12 year old behringer mixer my dad bought me and it's working well.
Going on the face of my needs (3 mic preamps, a few line channels, alt34, possibly an internal reverb?, 2 aux sends, xlr out, an insert on the trumpet channel for a compressor, small enough to be boxed up with pedals and go on a keyboard stand, poss mid swept eq), the Behringer xenyx 1622 fx is the only thing that ticks all those boxes- even though I'd be happy paying 2 or 3 (or 4?) times that amount for better sounds.
Is there a small mixer brand I haven't thought of?? A&H, Alesis, yamaha, mackie...

Or is there a MOD I could get done on the Behr to fix any weak points?

(I do all sizes of gigs, with and without sound guys, and play soul/world/reggae vibes with good musos who can control their dynamics)

If you read all this you are a champ. Thanks
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
why not use the mixer you currently have for your gigs? too bulky? what's the model?
Old 11th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Yeah it's an old 1604 eurorack and needs some fixing and not sure whether it's worth spending money on.
Seems you can get something better, with more options, and smaller now. And you hear a lot of people on here say behringer's not the best.
I guess I was also testing whether this set up sounds like a good one to live mixers or whether I'd scare them running lead vocals and trumpet L and R out of a small mixer.
And whether there's any small brands I haven't thought of with only 3 or so mic inputs but all the features of larger mixers.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
I guess with gigs where there's no sound guy, a small mixer would the the obvious choice to go, in your case something like the ZED10FX would do nicely along with a pair of powered speakers.

With sound guys, don't feed them the signal from your mixer; go direct to theirs/let them mix your vox, trumpet and loops.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Are you looking to do some complex looping using auxiliary feeds to the loop pedal from different sources, or will you be able to hand the engineer your various outputs?

If the latter, then don't worry - any decent engineer will have DIs (if needed) and also will have compression available via outboard or the desk, which is best adjusted from FOH.

If the former then it's all about setting/agreeing levels, but I've seen it work fine assuming all parties know what to expect!
Old 12th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
You're both right, maybe I'm a control freak trying to do too much from the stage (eq, comp, reverb), but for looping and other fx, it's impractical to give them to a sound guy unless he's a rehearsed part of the band.

mojo- I was hoping to do all of the above - make simple loops from different sources and run 3 seperate xlr out - Voc, Tpt, Loops/Fx. Is that so bad or am I breaking some sound rule?

Maybe I need really long leads coming from the house desk aux send and back.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
It sounds like you need to get a desk with pre-fade aux(es) to send your vox and trumpet into the looper pedal, assuming you plan to use the same loop pedal for both.

What makes your questions so hard is that you haven't been specific enough. You mention vox, trumpet, loops and fx - but not exactly how these are implemented.

Are the loops pre-recorded, made live, or a mix of both?
Is the source of the loops a computer, sampler, pedal, or more than one source?
Are you saying the fx are something that will be set and forget, or do you need to adjust them a lot during what you envisage will be your performance?

There are a load more questions I can't be bothered to type. And if you just answer "yes" to this I don't know what exactly you are saying yes too.

Can you give full details of what you have, what you plan to do with it, and what you are hoping to achieve?

Without details this is impossible to give you help with. When I read back on the thread I find I'm having to parse everything you write and make guesses at what you are actually asking. I understand you seem very wary of using technical terminology - but if you at least fully describe everything people answering will have a better chance of helping. Without proper details I can't help further as I keep having to guess and make ASSumptions, which is getting this nowhere.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…