Quantcast
Need some advice... Setting up EV Elx215 with crown xLi 3500 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Need some advice... Setting up EV Elx215 with crown xLi 3500
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Question Need some advice... Setting up EV Elx215 with crown xLi 3500

I am slowly assembling a PA set to rent to medium size events. The mains will be Electro Voice ELX215 of which I ordered two (two in a while more if things go well)

I paired that with a Crown XLI 3500 series amp, with 1300 x channel at 4 ohms, the elx215's being 600 rms 2400 watt peak seemed a good match.

First of all, has any of you had any experience with either of these gear and have any tips?

I am looking into DSP and power conditioning options. The XLi series doesn't have a crossover so I need some suggestions on that (thinking DBX or JBL)

Am I headed in the right track? (I have subs)

Thanks sluts!
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Also, limiting is a must, but what about compression? Is there an all in one DSP crossover limiter compressor that I should looking into (like dbx)

Maybe I should add the subs are bass-tech 7's. I plan on matching them with a macrotech 2400.
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I really like the Ashly stuff for system processing / crossovers.
My advice: Do not start messing with compression until you can honestly get a good clear sounding mix with just EQ (and proper mic placement and gain structure etc). If you do not understand these things, compression will shoot you in the foot.
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I am familiar with using compression in the box, and you can easily ruin a sound with it I am aware. I have no experience using it in a live setting, and would only as an afterthought. Most applications may not require it.

I will take a look at the ashley stuff, I had forgotten about them. I have some learning to do.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Yuck, sorry OP but 2x15's are WAY muddy. You can do better with a 12 top and 18 sub.

Here's another suggestion:

- 2x Yamaha S112V on QSC GX5
- 2x Yamaha SW118V on QSC GX7
- dbx 223xs crossover

OR you can go powered tops and sub which eliminate the external crossover since it's done in the subs already.

For power conditioner, the real stuff is the Furman AR1215, all others are the equivalent of cheap power strips.
Old 11th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixer mixer ➑️
Yuck, sorry OP but 2x15's are WAY muddy. You can do better with a 12 top and 18 sub.

- dbx 223xs crossover

OR you can go powered tops and sub which eliminate the external crossover since it's done in the subs already.

For power conditioner, the real stuff is the Furman AR1215, all others are the equivalent of cheap power strips.
Have you used the ev's in particular, or you just aren't a fan of the 2 x 15 configuration? Is it true 12's offer more clarity ?? what about a few satellite 12's along side the dual 15's and subs? I could only bring along the second sub and 15's if the gig required it.

Well, what I have on the way is a start. I intend to learn as I build. Some people seem to like 15 loaded cabs with subs for sheer "loud" ness, though I hope they aren't too muddy if run with a good amp and takencare of.... I already have these subs that are a reaaaal hassle to relocate but supposed to have mean output. I'm looking at furman, how high of a priority IS power conditioning? I know nasty unregulated power can fry your equipment, so i guess that makes it high priority

Here's the subs. Although in the future likely opt for something more modern, I'd like to use these momentarily and for occasions that require

ServoDrive, Inc. - Products - BassTech 7
Old 11th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixer mixer ➑️

- dbx 223xs crossover

Ive heard good things about the monster power conditioner. Furman seems more classy
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Here's why all others are glorified power strips. Especially NO to monster.

Regarding 2x15's, here's a thread that discusses how 2x15's are inefficient and are a bad compromise. The 2x15's discussion starts with post #42 but you're welcome to read the whole thread.
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
They might be inefficient for small audiences. I can imagine a lot of circumstances that would make a 2 x 15 sound muddy, but I am going to try it anyhow. 2x 2x15's and 2x dual 15 horn loaded subs, 137 and 136 db spl rated respectively
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I opted for the crown xls2500 to power both elx215's, has limiting crossover and output to chain more than one amp. Will get another amp to power my subs. Let you know how it goes.

-edit another advantage of using 15 inch tops is that my subs are of the very low variety, and with 15's I can set my crossover lower and attribute more of the mid-low-bass to my mains. It works especially well for my setup
Old 30th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Just to update, Qsc 1850hd amp on the way for the subs, plus a driverack PA+ and pair elx 112p.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…