Yes it can be done - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Yes it can be done
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Yes it can be done

1026.15 USD, that is what you have to pay for a Tim McGraw and Faith Hill Soul2Soul concert in Vegas right now if you want the best seating. I find it fascinating that artists can do something like that and get away with it. They have multiple concerts every Friday and Saturday. Last night I spent 277 USD on this concert for a less ideal seating however perfectly fine for me, that amount of money I still find to be a lot for a concert ticket. Oh yes, the expensive seatings were fully occupied. The venue houses 1815 seats. Many of their shows are almost fully booked. Just imagine the amount of money they make on these concerts. Who said you cannot become extremely rich on music today...

Oh. BTW. The concert was pretty good too... It was the first concert I have attended where the artist gives away his guitar to a fan in the middle of the concert. I would give away many for this cashflow...
Old 8th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
It is not all going to the artist, and the artist has very little to do with ticket prices in most cases. "Promoters" like Livenation / Ticketmaster can take up to 50% off the top, venue fees, taxes, even more. Most mid-level artists have a good deal if they see 30% of the price.
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Very true Monocluster. Promoter, ticketing, Merch company, Production, Management, Road crew. So many mouths to feed.
Old 9th March 2014
thats still a boatload of cash for an 1800 capacity room when tickets are $200-$1000 a head. Im sure the artist will be getting a pretty good deal, especially if its a residency for a few shows so there are no travel costs really
Old 9th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinvanda ➡️
thats still a boatload of cash for an 1800 capacity room when tickets are $200-$1000 a head. Im sure the artist will be getting a pretty good deal, especially if its a residency for a few shows so there are no travel costs really
Tim McGraw and Faith Hill are two of the industry's highest selling artists... I think FH might be WB's highest selling artist ever. Not a good example to use as proof that "musicians can make a living." You need to look at the small guys, the singer songwriters, the post-internet Jonathan Coulton-model guys, the YouTube model guys, all the music school grads who move down to Nashville every year. All the new rock bands in LA and Boston. The truth is it's very very hard out there to become established and to make a living off of original music these days.
When an artist first starts touring, they can't expect more than a few hundred dollars from a sold-out show of maybe a hundred heads or so. This is not a lot of money. To have money left over after the night's hotel stay and travel expenses is a great situation. I toured full time for about three years as a musician after college. The margins are extremely tight. Yes, it is possible, but citing Vegas spectacular's highest prices is not a good proof of concept.
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I usually go $500 $600 for a pair of decent floor tix. The most I ever paid was $1500 for 2 McCartney tix.
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothVibe ➡️
I find it fascinating that some very popular and well established artists can do something like that and get away with it.
There...I fixed it.

If it was so simple and that easy to do a lot more people would be doing it.
Old 9th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc ➡️
There...I fixed it.

If it was so simple and that easy to do a lot more people would be doing it.
To the OP:
Ticket prices are dictated by economics, with the final judge being the consumer. Nobody is forcing people to spend $1000.00+ on tickets. They are making that choice by themselves. Personally, I wouldn't have even paid the $277.00 for that show. Value is in the eyes of the beholder.

-JP
Old 10th March 2014 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by monocluster ➡️
Tim McGraw and Faith Hill are two of the industry's highest selling artists... I think FH might be WB's highest selling artist ever. Not a good example to use as proof that "musicians can make a living." You need to look at the small guys, the singer songwriters, the post-internet Jonathan Coulton-model guys, the YouTube model guys, all the music school grads who move down to Nashville every year. All the new rock bands in LA and Boston. The truth is it's very very hard out there to become established and to make a living off of original music these days.
When an artist first starts touring, they can't expect more than a few hundred dollars from a sold-out show of maybe a hundred heads or so. This is not a lot of money. To have money left over after the night's hotel stay and travel expenses is a great situation. I toured full time for about three years as a musician after college. The margins are extremely tight. Yes, it is possible, but citing Vegas spectacular's highest prices is not a good proof of concept.
I wasnt in any way saying that this is an accurate example of the industry as a whole, just that in this specific example the people involved were probably doing pretty well out of it
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Advice: Never begrudge someone else for making money (honestly).
How do they "get away with it?" What exactly are they getting away with? Being paid for having worked hard and gotten to the top? Nothing underhanded or sneaky—they are not getting away with anything. Just performing and making a ton of cash.
Old 13th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicJesus ➡️
Advice: Never begrudge someone else for making money (honestly).
How do they "get away with it?"
I meant that it is incredible that people are ready to spend that amount of money on a single concert and even more incredible to sell out those seats on two concerts on the same night, incredible, as you know 1000 USD for a concert is relatively speaking very expensive. There are also political aspects to this, of which the artist is not to blame of course, but generally speaking this means that the richest artists accelerate in competition/market position for every concert they make. Not bad for those artists, but for everyone else it is a negative spiral towards throwing in the towel.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I don't know a lot about Vegas, apart from it being quite different to the regular US touring circuit. However I never quite understood how the economics of it worked, in terms of these headline acts who apparently earn millions from residencies.

I certainly didn't realise folks payed premium concert ticket prices for artists playing long-running shows.

I recall seeing a documentary on the BBC about Elvis beginning his long-running Vegas residency - for some reason (and I may have been mistaken) I got the impression his show was part of the overall entertainment/hospitality package guests had already paid for, and that the various big establishments paid big names for residencies to attract tourists to that particular hotel complex.

Of course things may have changed a lot since then, and I may well have made a mistaken assumption. The only thing I have close to experiencing Vegas is some family who visited and complained the complimentary cocktails were absurdly weak and the place itself seemed tacky - but to be fair they were probably not the usual target market for that type of resort, they just happened to be passing through.

But having seen other documentaries (eg Louis Theroux) I got the impression the non-gambling attractions were perks for guests staying in that specific hotel. As I said I may have got things wrong and mis-interpreted some stuff, hence this thread piqued my curiosity!

Last edited by mojo filters; 15th March 2014 at 02:24 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Penn and Teller @ the Rio = 2 million a year each.
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Both of these artists work for labels and make a vary small amount of the take from anything they do (but they are rich). I'm not sure about Hill but McGraw hasn't written any of the songs he's recorded/sang. Not that there's anything wrong with big labels or just being a Recording Artist.... The Recording Artists just don't make the big money that the label & songwriter does.

https://www.harryfox.com/public/Roya...Calculator.jsp
Old 16th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by robare99 ➡️
I usually go $500 $600 for a pair of decent floor tix. The most I ever paid was $1500 for 2 McCartney tix.
wtf is this? the highest price I have ever paid was for Guns'n'Roses and this was €120 in Germany 1,75 years ago. and this is considered in Europe in a normal venue (not Las Vegas - like, of course) as "near the upper end".

so what is going on in the USA? is there a war-on-anything-tax of 500% on tickets?
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…