Quantcast
foh in ear monitors - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
foh in ear monitors
Old 8th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
foh in ear monitors

i've just started getting into foh, and have been using some shure in ear headhphones, the the se215s i think. trouble is they are a monumental pain in the arse to get settled properly in my ear, and i'm looking for something similar that incorporates a headband. i was thinking that might well help with fast placing in and out of the ear.
budget is about 100 quid, any suggestions gratefully received.
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
is this for pfl'ing?
Old 8th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Aside from cue'ing, I am not sure IEMs for FOH is a good idea but to each his own, I suppose. I am not aware of anything like what you describe.
Old 8th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
yeah pfl duties mainly. i don't mean the full on moulded iems - just something like those shures that block out just enough sound so you don't have to crank voume excessively. i tried the ubiquitous sennheiser hd25s, but didn't fancy them.

anyone got any suggestions?
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
the trouble with in ears for pfl'ing duties is the speed in which to adorn them, unlike headphones which are quick.

I have had for years Beyerdynamic DT-770M (M for monitor not the studio version) I would recommend them as better isolation than most on the 'isolated' market, but still not 100% on the low end isolation as the this will always be the challenge.
If your state side these High isolation headphones, video drum lessons, drum methods, at GK-Music.com are the best recommended. I have the old style 3M -39dB ear defenders that these are built into and they have excellent isolation so I see the GK being really good.

moulded plugs will give the best seal and best attenuation, you would have to get quick at the turning screw method. normal earphones even shure 215 or similar I don't know the level of attenuation offered. you would have to research manufactures or user experiences.

or go with your idea with earphones but also use the new style extremely slim 3M Peltor X4 Ear Defenders over the top for peace and quiet.
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
IEM's don't seal properly until they warm up which takes a few minutes. Constant in-out probably won't feel very comfortable. In my experience it's also pretty strenuous on the ear canal after a while. Also you will get a light coating of earwax on your fingertips.
noise cancelling or isolating headphones recommended instead.
Old 9th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by monocluster ➑️
IEM's don't seal properly until they warm up which takes a few minutes.
Where did you hear or read this?

I have worked for years with a prominent IEM manufacturer and they would never use materials that would be affected by the heat generated in the ear canal for some very obvious technical reasons.

This would affect fit obviously and of course the fit would affect the sound. Plus the constant expansion and retraction of the mold would probably affect the internal components. Since everyone does not have the same body temperature, how would they manufacture for perfect fit for everybody?
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc ➑️
Where did you hear or read this?

I have worked for years with a prominent IEM manufacturer and they would never use materials that would be affected by the heat generated in the ear canal for some very obvious technical reasons.

This would affect fit obviously and of course the fit would affect the sound. Plus the constant expansion and retraction of the mold would probably affect the internal components. Since everyone does not have the same body temperature, how would they manufacture for perfect fit for everybody?
Westone makes custom molds that specifically state in the documentation to let them warm up for optimal fit, which was also echoed by the local audiologist who did the impressions. I believe it is mentioned on their site as well.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by monocluster ➑️
Westone makes custom molds that specifically state in the documentation to let them warm up for optimal fit, which was also echoed by the local audiologist who did the impressions. I believe it is mentioned on their site as well.
Interesting, one of the reasons the company I test for use only medical grade Acrylic and Silicone to make their ear pieces is to avoid expansion and retraction. I'll try to check why the Westone ear pieces are different.

I currently have about 5 or 6 different pairs of IEMs and have never noticed this but I'll dig deeper.
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
From the Westone site:

Quote:
Flex Canal
A body temperature-reactive, semisoft earpiece canal additive, flex canal's unique properties allow the canal portion of the earpiece to remain firm at room temperature for ease of insertion and then soften at body temperature, allowing increased comfort and acoustic seal for incredible noise isolation.
I think this is what you're referring to…it's a proprietary piece that's added to the tip that goes into the ear canal and apparently used on only four models.
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
thanks for all the replies everyone. i'm liking the look of the beyer 770 option, as i already own the 880 for studio use and love the sound.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The Beyer 770s are great headphones. I really advise against using IEMs for anything FOH related. Wearing only 1 will skew the volume levels and may result in a mix that is way too loud, or monitoring too loud in your ear. Wearing both ears closes you off from the PA too much IMO, and using them for PFL can wreak havoc on your ear canals (inserting/removing constantly)
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…