Quantcast
Ableton LIVE: Session vs Arrange View with Launch-style Performance - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ableton LIVE: Session vs Arrange View with Launch-style Performance
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Ableton LIVE: Session vs Arrange View with Launch-style Performance

So Gotye and his band use the Ableton Live for their live set up. Just about everything is pretty standard as far as stems, launch pads, midi clock, video streams, etc. The one thing that I find very interesting is their decision to use the Arrange view to navigate through the playback songs, as oppose to the commonly used session view.

What are everyone's opinions, experiences, recommendations on this? Below is an awesome video of Tim Shiel going into great depth of the Gotye live set up with Ableton. It's really cool how they worked the parameters to perfect their preference. Does anyone have any similar/good tutorials/walkthroughs on using the Arrange view for live performing?

Tim Shiel Ableton Liveschool:
Ableton Liveschool Presents INPUT: Tim Shiel (Faux Pas/Gotye Collaborator) - YouTube

Launch Pad Routing described:
@13:30

Additional Question on it:
@34:54

Last edited by Psylem; 2nd March 2014 at 12:21 AM.. Reason: stupid youtube embedding didn't work
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
"Gear is like clothing. You wear what's comfortable." - Victor Wooten

While I don't have extensive experience with Ableton, I think someone looking over my shoulder when I'm working with Logic X would find my workflow a bit unconventional. It works. The brilliant stuff about pro-level software of any time (Photoshop, Final Cut, etc) is that it presents TOOLS for the user to do what they need to do. There are almost always multiple ways to accomplish something, not one "right" way. Whatever they're doing works for them. There's probably some advantages and disadvantages, but I personally try not to read too much into stuff like that.

Cheers
m
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…