Quantcast
Preamping an amp - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Preamping an amp
Old 26th February 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Preamping an amp

I have a little solid state practice amp from the 80s that has the craziest tone ever. I have lots of 'high end' amplifiers but for whatever reason I love the sound I get out of this one and would like to use it in one of my bands. The issue I'll have is playing at venues with no sound system (other that vocals). How would I go about amplifying this signal, if possible? I have limited knowledge, but would a preamp into a larger cab work?
Old 26th February 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
If your practice amp has a preamp output, you can run that into the power-amp in on a larger amp combo.
Old 27th February 2014
Deleted 2d43ac6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilliam ➡️
I have a little solid state practice amp from the 80s that has the craziest tone ever. I have lots of 'high end' amplifiers but for whatever reason I love the sound I get out of this one and would like to use it in one of my bands. The issue I'll have is playing at venues with no sound system (other that vocals). How would I go about amplifying this signal, if possible? I have limited knowledge, but would a preamp into a larger cab work?
Surely if a venue has an input for vocals, they`ll have at least one more input available to patch your signal into??
Old 2nd March 2014

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Are your sure that the tone is all that without the speaker? I would put a mic in front of the speaker ... there are DI boxes that can connect across the speaker terminals and drop the level down to mic level. The Radial JDI is a classic, but there are a few others that have Speaker level input. However - they don't replace the speaker, so it's still going to be heard.

Any audio guru could tap into the preamp and give you a line out socket. Franky, I find it hard to believe you couldn't find a DI tone that you love as much out of one of the Sansamp Character pedals - they have a lot of amp flavors to choose from, and each one is highly variable to get a range of amps out of each pedal. But tone is highly subjective, and there might be some particular mojo in what you've got there, so it's quite possible you could find a way to use it.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…