Quantcast
Behringer to compete DL1608 market - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Behringer to compete DL1608 market
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Behringer to compete DL1608 market

just noticed this in the NAMM forum, suggested retail price is $1000.. it looks pretty interesting.. I do love the Mackie board.. but to be honest, recallable Midas pres is the biggy for me.. no need to be tied to the docking station for any controls.. does not appear to be available in stores yet, but here's some marketing info on this product:

Ultra-Compact 16-Input, 8-Bus DigitalMixer for iPad* with 16 ProgrammableMIDAS Preamps and USB Audio Interface

You want freedom, and not just a little… but, total freedom. The iX16 Digital Mixer gives you the freedom to workwirelessly from anywhere in the venue using basically any device you have—be it iPad or iPad mini, tablet PC, laptop or Mac computer. Our public OSC protocol will even allow developers to work on their own apps for Android devices.

With the iX16 you have the freedom to roam about and experience all elements of the mainmix from any vantage point—just grab your iPad and get moving. And you can mix monitors where they’ll do the most good,right in the sweet spot on stage. Better yet,since iX16 supports being controlled by several remote devices concurrently,why not give each band member control over their own monitor mix?!

The iX16 inherits the X32’s remarkable processing as well as the fully programmable mic preamps you’llfind inside. But don’t be afraid, it alsocommends itself to the rather lessexperienced user, by focusing on a simple,streamlined workflow that can easilybe grasped. The iX16 provides seriousconnectivity, including a bi-directional18-channel USB audio interface forlive recording, home or project studioenthusiasts looking for a major stepup in quality.

Add to this a 40-bit digital mix engine that will take your music toa wholenew level of sonic clarity, ULTRANET connectivity for our P16 Personal Monitoring System, and we’ve just scratched the surface of theiX16’s amazing feature set. Perfect for permanent installations, just connectyour mics and speakers, grab your iPad—and fly! Professional gear—professional solutions—the iX16 Digital Mixerfrom BEHRINGER!

Product Features:
  • iPad* controlled 16-input, 8-bus digital mixer for studio and live application
  • 16 MIDAS-designed, fully programmable mic preamps for audiophile sound quality
  • 6 TRS aux sends and 2 XLR main outputs plus phones connector
  • 18 x 18 channel USB 2.0 audio interface
  • iPad* and PC apps available for remote operation via Ethernet, LAN or Wifi**
  • 8 buses each featuring inserts, 6-band parametric EQ's and full dynamics processing
  • Virtual FX rack featuring 4 true-stereo FX slots including high-end simulations such as Lexicon 480L* and PCM70*, EMT250* and Quantec QRS* etc.
  • 40-Bit floating-point DSP features "unlimited" dynamic range with no internal overload and near-zero overall latency (0.8 msec)
  • Scene management allows full storage and total recall of your setups
  • USB type-A connector providing file storage and uncompressed stereo recordings plus show presets and system updates
  • Integrated ULTRANET connectivity for BEHRINGER's P-16 Personal Monitoring System**
  • MIDI In/Out for remote scene recall or controlling other MIDI equipment
  • Future firmware updates downloadable from behringer.com free of charge
  • Conceived and designed by BEHRINGER Germany

Link : http://www.behringer.com/EN/products/iX16.aspx
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboatguy ➡️
just noticed this in the NAMM forum, suggested retail price is $1000.. it looks pretty interesting.. I do love the Mackie board.. but to be honest, recallable Midas pres is the biggy for me..
The Behringer X32 and iX16 mixers do not have Midas preamps, they have preamps that are based on a Midas design and that have input from Midas designers but they are not the same preamps used in Midas products. Their being recallable is a significant difference compared to the DL1608, along with a number other differences.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by museAV ➡️
The Behringer X32 and iX16 mixers do not have Midas preamps, they have preamps that are based on a Midas design and that have input from Midas designers but they are not the same preamps used in Midas products. Their being recallable is a significant difference compared to the DL1608, along with a number other differences.
hmm.. if the mic pres are inferior sounding to the Onyx, I would consider it a deal breaker for sure.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
If you can use a PC tablet for remote control, that opens up potential sales quite a bit.

Not sure about their choice of $1,000 as the price point unless B thinks buyers will see their quality at the same level as Mackie. edit: B may see their 18x18 recording channels via USB as competitive to the StudioLive line. Maybe they are thinking it's a less expensive competitor to the 16.4.2?

Another GS here posted in another thread his thought that there will be a lot more competition among digital mixer products over the next 6 months and not to buy anything yet.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks ➡️
edit: B may see their 18x18 recording channels via USB as competitive to the StudioLive line. Maybe they are thinking it's a less expensive competitor to the 16.4.2?
this may sound like a stupid question but,
when they say 18x18 recording channels, what exactly is that referring to ?
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
That's a good question. The link you posted said it's "bi-directional 18x 18." My uninformed guess is 16 channels of preamps and then maybe they are counting the two main outputs, too?

I didn't see an operators manual listed at the link yet.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
That's a good question. The link you posted said it's "bi-directional 18x 18." My uninformed guess is 16 channels of preamps and then maybe they are counting the two main outputs, too?

I didn't see an operators manual listed at the link yet.
I see.. so it basically records any 18 audio sources from inside the console.. and the other 18 is described bi-directional, I'm assuming that means playback of the 18 tracks you've recorded.. is this a fair assumption ?
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I suspect it would be 16 tracks plus L&R master - could be wrong though! heh
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
so, I've been poking around with the Xi-control app for the iPad
Behringer made it available as a free download.. offline mode that is

It's pretty confusing.. trying to assign graphic EQ's to the outputs is pretty time consuming

one would really need to make a template of sorts before venturing into a gig with it,
there's a ton of hidden parameters for routing.. and the app appears to be also designed to service the X32 consoles.

plus side,
seems to be lots of different fx plugins available
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
X16 Preview - Page 4

So here we have a tidbit from B about what the X16 is about. Half the X32, but using a Ipad as a control surface.

Er.... edit, since it relies on an external control surface (Ipad), it's the iX16 so not exactly half the X32 with all its controls.

edit no. 2: looking at the PC control app, it seems to be designed for the X32 as noted above. It loads very quickly, but is there a global screen somewhere for the X32 that shows all the settings for each channel like the VSL control panel for the Studiolive series? With the Presonus, to the best of my knowledge, everything on all channels can be adjusted from one screen. Does the Behringer software have this feature hidden somewhere?

Last edited by 2manyrocks; 1st February 2013 at 05:50 PM.. Reason: clarify model no.--further question about control app
Old 5th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
[url=http://soundforums.net/junior-varsity/5455-x16-preview-4.html#post38763]... is there a global screen somewhere for the X32 that shows all the settings for each channel like the VSL control panel for the Studiolive series? With the Presonus, to the best of my knowledge, everything on all channels can be adjusted from one screen. Does the Behringer software have this feature hidden somewhere?
Not on the iPad app right now. On the "Detail" page, there are tabs for all of the parts (preamp/gate/comp/eq/etc.), but nothing where they're all put together. I don't see that as a big difficulty, though.

But if you're looking at the PC version, just click to the "Home" page and choose a channel or bus:
Behringer to compete DL1608 market-x32-home.png
Old 6th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Not sure about their choice of $1,000 as the price point unless B thinks buyers will see their quality at the same level as Mackie. edit: B may see their 18x18 recording channels via USB as competitive to the StudioLive line. Maybe they are thinking it's a less expensive competitor to the 16.4.2?
The iX16 seems to have numerous potential advantages over the DL1608 for pretty much the same MAP and is possibly also more likely to be seen as an alternative to the 16.0.2 rather than the 16.4.2.

Quote:
Another GS here posted in another thread his thought that there will be a lot more competition among digital mixer products over the next 6 months and not to buy anything yet.
And probably more the 6 months after that and more the following 6 months and so on. If you wait for the next new, improved product you may always be waiting.

Like many other electronics, I think you are going to see an ongoing evolution where keeping up with the latest and greatest is going to mean planning on short useful lifetimes. But how many applications for digital mixers will having the latest and greatest be the issue versus the mixer simply working for the application and still being supported?
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
For me, the primary question is whether the product will be reliable for several years or not. Behringer's rep is what it is.
Old 18th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
This is the issue....

Quote:
For me, the primary question is whether the product will be reliable for several years or not. Behringer's rep is what it is.
We just acquired a DL1608, and even with all the limitations observed already on these and other forums (routing limitations, so-so reverbs, no multitrack recording, no remote controllable preamp gains, etc.), I could not bring myself to purchase a Behringer product, no matter how much bling promised. We are working pros that do multiple shows per day, and I simply cannot afford to stress about potential breakdowns in mission critical situations. Behringer's reputation for ghastly QC is not a myth...I had a graveyard of their mixers that died prematurely, and had to deal with their impossible customer support. Folks, there is a reason their products are so inexpensive: they have in the past thrown quality on the sacrificial altar, making truly professional dependence on their product next to impossible. Now, I have a few of their active DI's floating around the bag, but that's easy to carry multiples of...but mixers? I do realize that the introduction of the X32 range of gear is an attempt to exorcise the reputation they have accrued, but I simply can't afford to be the guinea pig. The DL1608 is proving to be a stable, reliable platform, both in terms of hardware and software, and is discharging it's duties in no-sweat fashion. We set up a trios worth of instrumentation and vocals in 45 minutes the other evening at a major hotel ballroom. I drum and run PA simultaneously....the layout of Master Fader allows me to easily navigate in real time all the controls I need to access. Yes, I am a touch frustrated with some things that could have been so much better, but at the end of the day, I am happy with the devil I know...
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…