mic splitter from JDX? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
mic splitter from JDX?
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Maniac
Dewdman42's Avatar
๐ŸŽง 10 years
mic splitter from JDX?

I need some advice or recommendations about the right way to split the signal coming from Radial JDX, in order to send one to FOH and one to my own personal monitor mixer.

Radial JDX is a DI, for those that don't know it. It outputs mic level XLR. I need to split this signal.

Some people seem to recommend an actual mic splitter with transformer inside. Besides the cost, these also have a transformer inside, which will isolate the signals, perhaps avoid ground loop, but also change the sound. Do you guys think that is really necessary or could I get by with a Y cable, or perhaps a Y cable with ground lift, something like that?
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Addict
๐ŸŽง 5 years
This thing requires an external wall wart, not phantom power, correct? In that case a simple XLR Y-cord, with the ground lifted on the feed to your personal mixer should be fine. As long as your stage power (what feeds your personal mixer) and FOH are on the same ground, there should be no issues. Even if FOH sends phantom down the line by mistake, your mixer can probably handle it (if it has the option of phantom power itself).

Transformer splitters offer the certainty that things will be quiet in the most adverse conditions, but aren't really needed in situations where you have control over how things are plugged in.

What else is going into your monitor mixer? How is it being split?

Old 31st January 2013
Gear Maniac
Dewdman42's Avatar
๐ŸŽง 10 years
yep the JDX uses wall wart, not phantom power. The personal mixer does have phantom power but I would normally have it off unless needed. The personal mixer is a MOTU traveler, which does not have 3 prong power. Plugged into the traveler are a few mics and potentially a monitor feed from the FOH, and the JDX. Only one other mic is split off to FOH, my vocal mic, but it goes through a processor which I believe is converting to digital first before creating two mic outs, one of which goes to FOH and the other to my personal mixer.
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear
S21's Avatar
๐ŸŽง 5 years
As long as you have a relatively lower source impedance and are driving devices with relatively higher input impedances then all you need is a Y-cable splitter.

In general Y-splitters are fine and Y-combiners are bad.
๐Ÿ“ Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump