Thanking the sound guy publicly - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Thanking the sound guy publicly
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Thanking the sound guy publicly

I do sound around town for a lot of amateur/semi-pro bands, and I want to ask others how they feel about something that I've got an opinion on.

I don't make a big deal about it, but I'd rather that bands didn't thank me during their set, on microphone.

I do appreciate a personal thank-you after the set, and maybe some chit-chat if we've got a rapport.

But the public thanking makes me cringe a little. As a technician I'd rather be an invisible part of the show. The audience didn't come to see me, and the less attention I draw the better!

Anyway, when it happens I smile and maybe give a bit of a wave.

Do others feel this way?

Are any of you offended if you aren't thanked?
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'm not fussed either way personally.

Some artists do it at the end of a gig publicly, some do it personally. Most venues I work at, I'm hardly closeted away in a little booth that punters can't see, I'm generally pretty visible, so bands pointing me out doesn't really phase me.

If they were giving my full name, phone number, and date if birth, then I'd probably be a little more concerned.
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

90 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
IMO there's room for a range of opinion - from 'the sound guy is invisible' to 'the sound guy is part of the performance' - depending on the gig and circumstances.

Personally I like to get some feedback after a gig so that's probably more important than a thank you. I don't mind a mention but prefer to remain out of the spotlight.
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It needs to be choreographed properly.. the follow-spot operators need to be briefed before the show.. and I like to plan early enough in between two specific songs on the set list , as I can prepare myself to put on my aviator sunglasses and make sure the brill cream in my hair is fresh.. also, I can make sure that the thunder rumble sound fx is cued up right before the announcement.. once the fan fair is over, I can take my cape off and get back to bizness and relax..
Old 29th January 2013
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4-10 ➑️
I do sound around town for a lot of amateur/semi-pro bands, and I want to ask others how they feel about something that I've got an opinion on.

I don't make a big deal about it, but I'd rather that bands didn't thank me during their set, on microphone.

I do appreciate a personal thank-you after the set, and maybe some chit-chat if we've got a rapport.

But the public thanking makes me cringe a little. As a technician I'd rather be an invisible part of the show. The audience didn't come to see me, and the less attention I draw the better!

Anyway, when it happens I smile and maybe give a bit of a wave.

Do others feel this way?

Are any of you offended if you aren't thanked?
I actually appreciate it, as a signal that I have done a good job for them. But what I do not appreciate is audience and random people coming up to my board to chat with me, while I'm trying to do my job. That really pisses me off severely.
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I've been doing this long enough that i've decided i'll take the thanks anyway I can get it. I agree that being thanked at a festival in front of 10,000 people is strange. It seems more appropriate for a bantery club. Being thanked in person is always great to.

I guess the only time it really urks me is when you have been dealt a ****ty hand at a gig, and for reasons which are likely beyond my control - a mix can hardly be pulled together. If the band thanks you and and the sound has been ****. Its just kind of embarassing.

And yeah doc...about people in the audience approaching the booth and giving their opinion i've got a few responses. Its rare I have to discuss anything with the audience. But when I do get approached my responses are tailored to how polite they are.

1) " what are you talking about? I'm the lighting guy"
2) " do you want to help me wrap cables at the end of the night too.?"

Those are my nice responses . My ruder responses ( and oh boy I have some beauties) would have people hitting the 'report' button.
Old 29th January 2013
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
need one of these to wear while i'm working...

Apparently my "Staff Get the F$ck out of my way" sweatshirt has lost its potency
Attached Thumbnails
Thanking the sound guy publicly-imageuploadedbygearslutz1359469728.548502.jpg  
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Being thanked on mic sure beats the hell out of being dissed in front of a room full of people.
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

13 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Or repeatedly being asked to fix the monitor mix when your only FOH.
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

26 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Or when they thank the monitor guy for the FOH mix yes, happens to me, more than once.
Seriously, thanks are nice, but how about a monetary gratuity (tip) people?!?! Forty years in the biz, I have been tipped exactly twice. That's damn sad, and inconsiderate IMHO, especially with "artists" who are getting six figures for some shows.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've never been tipped at the FOH; plenty of thank-you's, which I don't mind.

I, however, always tip the FOH; for a good night, it's either a Jackson ($20 USD), or...

If the sound was lousy, I just offer to buy a round, unless the FOH and crew were clearly not to blame (I'm good at 'Who's the Moron?', cause usually, it's me!).
Old 30th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

26 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boschen ➑️
I've never been tipped at the FOH; plenty of thank-you's, which I don't mind.

I, however, always tip the FOH; for a good night, it's either a Jackson ($20 USD), or...

If the sound was lousy, I just offer to buy a round, unless the FOH and crew were clearly not to blame (I'm good at 'Who's the Moron?', cause usually, it's me!).
You are a good man, and there will be a special place for you in heaven.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
If you guys don't like them thanking you, then why not turn their mics down when they start?!
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Here in Colorado this is considered legal tender.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Sadly, it probably retains more of its value than the US dollar, too.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yep, and the FOH almost always takes the doob.

Admittedly, I'm always holding top shelf.
Old 30th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell ➑️
I actually appreciate it, as a signal that I have done a good job for them. But what I do not appreciate is audience and random people coming up to my board to chat with me, while I'm trying to do my job. That really pisses me off severely.

my exact feelings on it too.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I enjoy being thanked for the great sound. I normally get big audience applause after comments like that.

Hard work and doing a good job should be recognized.
Old 30th January 2013
come on, deep down we are all just failed rock stars who love this stuff
Old 31st January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinvanda ➑️
come on, deep down we are all just failed rock stars who love this stuff
After 50 years of playing rock and roll, I don't consider myself a failed rock star..just an old rock star.
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Most of the time I am doing FOH and Monitors and a large percentage will mention me during the show(a lot of solo and duo artists) which makes a cringe slightly when everyone turns around to look at me because I don't really like the attention but at the same time I really appreciate it.
Old 7th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I do monitors, so I'm fine not getting any credit on-mic, but I do enjoy getting a nod or two. My favorite is catching the eye of the drummer, and he sticks his tongue out at me and makes the \m/ with one hand, without missing a beat. That's usually all the recognition I need
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…