Quantcast
Midrange Problems - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Midrange Problems
Old 28th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Midrange Problems

Im a modern country singer.. the biggest complaint i get from sound guys when we play live is that i have virtually no mid range in my voice. have good boomy bass and decent highs but the mids just arent there. is there a mic out there to use live to help boost my mids?

thanks!
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
what kind of mic are you currently using ?
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Hard to boost something that isn't there.

Having said that though, if the sound guy knows what the problem is, he/she should at least try to fix it with EQ and clean it up a bit.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
proximity effect might also play a part in bass tip up on a given vocal mic.

one particular mic that is built to minimize proximity effect is the Shure SM7.. great sounding mic, but not really designed as a handheld.. though I have seen a few singers that remove the mic stand hardware and hold it as a handheld irregardless of it's initial design.. which appears to be voice over or broadcast type mic
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I usually like to boost as much db of 4k into the vocals as possible with beautiful hardware Eq. then it usually mellows out because I push about 20 db extra gain at the end into my ad/da it sounds mean! DO
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Are you using your own mic or are you using the club standard sm58? I can't imagine anyone having a problem with 58 mids....I'm usually taking some out to clear things up....
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you play your acoustic and sing along with it, without a mic or anything how does it sound? Do you think your voice has no mids? Do you have some kind of recording so we can hear what you sound like?
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

26 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
The Heils have a strong mid-range. Charlie Daniels used and loved it on a show I worked with him. Might work for you.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…