Quantcast
Best quality portable PA for travelling electronic musician. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best quality portable PA for travelling electronic musician.
Old 27th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years

Hello all,

I'm at a quandary.

I am an electronic/singer songwriting musician. I cue samples much like a DJ, but also trigger samples. Everything including my vocals is going through my computer and out via my Duet (even for live). I want the quality of sound to be very exact with a nice low end.

I'm looking for a portable PA system that's going to have enough bass (I can't afford a sub at this stage) to play to around 100 people, sometimes a little more. I would like it to be portable - as in, I can shove them in a car and off I go.

I'm looking at the Turbosound Milan MI5. This would usually be out of my price range, but I have a friend of a friend that's selling a pair for just above Β£1100. Would you say this is a fair price for these? Are these even practical for my purpose? The friend lives quite a way away so I won't be able to hear them for a bit. I want to know if it's worth making the trip.

Are there any alternatives that won't break the bank? I'm looking to spend about Β£1k. Something tells me this might be overkill for the amount of people I am playing to.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Over there I'd also look at RCF (maybe their NX series) and FBT to see what they have in your price range. I'd buy used as your budget will go further. Powered 12's will still be punchy for bass, although not as much as with a sub. You'd have to decide with your own program music if 12's work for you vs. 15's. I like my QSCs but don't know about their pricing/availability in Europe.
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
get a pair of jbl jrx 15s I cannot believe how massive these things sounded. a venue I played at once had these installed and they sounded so loud and clear. the bass was like a stereo.
Old 27th January 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanndau5 ➑️
get a pair of jbl jrx 15s I cannot believe how massive these things sounded. a venue I played at once had these installed and they sounded so loud and clear. the bass was like a stereo.
Have you heard these compared to the Turbosound Milan MI5s? I've had a bit of a search and this model has an unfortunate review on this site. Other than that, people seem to like it . . . but compared to the Turbosounds? Although the Turbosounds are double the price second hand, it seems they would future proof me, which is what I am looking to do.

Is there anybody else with experience of these models?
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Might be worth waiting to see what the latest Behringer/Turbosound/Klark Teknik offerings sound like...I'm told they are excellent, but I have no idea price or availability...
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Having owned a set of jRX115's, they are not good. At all. Yes they are cheap but you are better off saving your money. And they are not a portable choice in size or weight compared to what you're looking for.

I found the Mackie SRM were far better and the QsC way better. Save your money, buy used, but I would not recommend the JRX series to anyone.
Old 27th January 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedorama ➑️
Having owned a set of jRX115's, they are not good. At all. Yes they are cheap but you are better off saving your money. And they are not a portable choice in size or weight compared to what you're looking for.

I found the Mackie SRM were far better and the QsC way better. Save your money, buy used, but I would not recommend the JRX series to anyone.
Thanks for your input! I hear a lot about the QSC K series, but when compared with the Turbosound, people tend to prefer the latter.

I hear the Mackie SRM gets pretty hot. As I put before, futureproofing (until I play places with their own PA's more often) is a priority.

Have you heard the QsC compared to others in that price range?
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Have heard the older HPR which I liked, but given you are in Europe, I would focus on local brands for price as well as service as part of your consideration.
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I am from the UK, so yes, Europe. Are there any UK specific brands that have a good rep? Turns out I can get the Turbosound's for a grand (Β£) now . . .

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedorama ➑️
Have heard the older HPR which I liked, but given you are in Europe, I would focus on local brands for price as well as service as part of your consideration.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'd give these turbo sound boxes a look and a listen, i never heard a bad sounding turbosound rig.
Old 7th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Those Turbos will serve you as well as any pair of boxes will, but you should really have a subwoofer for your act. I don't want to have to carry my 4x10 bass cab around but I play bass. You play electronica. If you don't bring the right gear someone else will. IMO you'd be better off with cheap tops and a decent subwoofer.
Old 7th February 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I agree you should avoid JBL JRX series speakers. Junk.

Since you are in Europe, check out Wharfedale Titans. They make a powered 12" speaker that sounds fantastic. I had an opportunity to hear them at a local county fair and they really worked well.

As with any 12" speaker, if a lot of bass is a requirement, you'll need a sub.
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Dynacord rocks. Uses 1 20 amp circuit. Bangs! Light. Easy setup.

*didnt see budget til later
Old 14th February 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Have heard the older HPR which I prefered,we need to focus on quality and cost both so we have to do this.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…