Quantcast
Audience microphones on stage? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Audience microphones on stage?
Old 26th January 2013
Audience microphones on stage?

I'm recording a tribute concert on Wednesday and was wondering what ya'all thoughts on "audience" microphones on the end of the stage, pointed out to the crowd? I believe there was going to be some microphones out in the audience (I don't know all the details to be honest, I'm not running sound just getting a split from the stage) but is it worth putting some out in front? If so, what do you guys recommend?
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Hi Sean. On the one occation that I didn't use any audience mics I really regreted it. I have put audience mics in front of the stage sometimes and it worked fine. It's not always the best solution but it's always gonna be better than not using audience mics at all IMHO. I'd suggest cardioids as you'd want to avoid some of the direct PA but it really depends on where you'll put them in rellation with the PA. Usualy sdc's have much tighter polar pattern than ldc's and would be a better choice for directivity control. You should try and gather as much info about the PA system and the venue as you can and plan ahead.

Sent from my GT-I9300
Old 27th January 2013
NJS
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
See if you can get a pair of shotguns like AKG C747 or such and just put one either side of the stage
Old 27th January 2013
I have access to some shotguns, that would be simple. Does placement matter much, or just one of each side of the stage, pointed straight ahead?
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Shotguns have a tendency to pick up one or two people in the crowd. Bands I've worked with who use in-ear monitors use some pencil condensers in a x/y stereo formation center stage to hear the audience. Works nice.
Old 27th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I feel like I almost always see boundary mics (look like paddles) used for this purpose at any kind of big show
Old 27th January 2013
NJS
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Are you inside? You might be able to hang something from the ceiling...
Old 27th January 2013
It's an indoor event; but I don't think the ceiling are an option.

It sounds like a pair of cardioid microphones on the stage is the way to go
Old 27th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by enhues ➑️
I feel like I almost always see boundary mics (look like paddles) used for this purpose at any kind of big show
What you are seeing are wireless receivers in most cases.

I like cardioids aimed from the stage. Sometimes I use omnis if the PA isn't ground stacked. Either way, they're at opposite sides of the stage for very high de-correlation. If it's a larger room, I'll put more out in the space (wings, balcony, etc.).
Old 27th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by enhues ➑️
The paddles you see are antenna for wireless systems. IEMs. mics, guitars.
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Sullivan ➑️
I'm recording a tribute concert on Wednesday and was wondering what ya'all thoughts on "audience" microphones on the end of the stage, pointed out to the crowd? I believe there was going to be some microphones out in the audience (I don't know all the details to be honest, I'm not running sound just getting a split from the stage) but is it worth putting some out in front? If so, what do you guys recommend?
Is the band using IEM's, and if so are they using ambient mics?
I have on occasion taken ambient IEM mics and used them in live multi track recordings. Not as good as having a pair of mics at FOH, but it is better than nothing and gives you some audience sound to track.
Old 27th January 2013
No in ears, just stage wedges.
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Sullivan ➑️
I usually put out (at least) two pair. I pair, usually Front of Stage L&R pointing at the audience, these I would use for the audience reaction. The second pair usually end up at FOH (but that's seldom the ideal place) and I'd use them for blending in a mix of the PA room sound. Obviously without prior knowledge and experimentation the latter may well be little more than a lottery, but it's worth a try, depending on the circumstances.

Good luck
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…