Quantcast
XLR shootout: Pro Co vs. GLS - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
XLR shootout: Pro Co vs. GLS
Old 24th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
XLR shootout: Pro Co vs. GLS

I am not particulary interested in paying more than $15 a cable, and need a bunch of 25ish foot xlrs to rig up a PA system.

If you had to choose between the following two cables, which would you choose:

Pro Co Sound Excellines (30')
Pro Co Sound Excellines XLR Male to XLR Female Microphone EXM-30
$13.50 ea

or

Bulk GLS cables (20')
Amazon.com: GLS Audio 25ft Mic Cable Patch Cords - XLR Male to XLR Female Black Microphone Cables - 25' Balanced Mike Snake Cord - 10 PACK: Musical Instruments
$10 ea

Thanks,
Baron
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
would you consider making your own cables? by buying cable and connectors in bulk, you would probably get much more for your money

i just saw a 500' spool for 70 bucks on ebay
that's 20 mic cables right there

if i had to choose, i'd pick the proco... they seem to have neutrik xlr's... the GLS are very similar, but not actually neutrik
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Canare L-4E6S Star Quad can be found for about .50 a foot. Less if you buy in bulk.
XLR connectors are in the $3.00 per end price range, which not factoring in your labor, gives you a 30 foot cable for around $21.00 This will rival anything you can buy and you will have the satisfaction of having made it yourself.

If you don't want to go down that route, as Maheeda said, I would choose the Proco simply because they have Neutrik connectors.
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elharley ➡️
Canare L-4E6S Star Quad
Any specific reason why you'd recommend 4-core..?
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover'd ➡️
Any specific reason why you'd recommend 4-core..?
I only mention Canare star quad because it is what I have been using for the past few years in various live-studio environments. I can can speak highly of its durability, excellent emi rejection.

There are certainly other excellent cables out there that are 2 core.
Belden 8412 for example.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I don't buy cables that don't have Switchcraft or Neutrik connectors anymore. Too many failures over the years.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GZsound ➡️
I don't buy cables that don't have Switchcraft or Neutrik connectors anymore. Too many failures over the years.

What part in the connector has failed?
What connector have you found success with? Cannon, Amphenol?

Personally I have never had a Neutrik XLR fail. Set screws have always been the weak link in Switchcraft and Cannon connectors.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
What part in the connector has failed?
What connector have you found success with? Cannon, Amphenol?

Personally I have never had a Neutrik XLR fail. Set screws have always been the weak link in Switchcraft and Cannon connectors.
I have had the most success with Switchcraft connectors. I have mic cables I made in 1974 that are still working perfectly. Neutrik also works great although most of my Neutrik connectors are ten years old or less.

The biggest problem I have had with other connectors is the holes expand and stop making contact. I haven't used a lot of Cannon or Amphenol connectors, just several of the inexpensive "Musicians Buy" type single screw connectors. I now just throw them away and put Switchcraft or Neutrik connectors on the cables.
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I have a bunch of Switchcraft bits in my bins which I use to make new cables, shorties or re-purposed adat snakes. I use canare star quad or mogami mic cable specifically and empirically since I've had no "leakages" from power cables/transformers, dimmers since about 1998.

All the single screw pot-metal xlrs are junk; I replaced the ends with Swcrft for a while until I noticed the shields were shyte as well so now I don't bother. As soon as a cheap cable pulls itself out of its solder. I donate it to the local repair guy, who re-heats them and sells them cheap to kids without rich parents.

There's nothing wrong with the older "soviet submarine" neutriks but I don't like the newer plasticy ones, the twisty chuck passes strain through the jacket onto the soldered connections. Their Speakons are best-of-class.

The only problem with Switchcraft grub screws is operator error. How often is the curved pressure plate lost or missing and the grub screw tightened so as to penetrate the rubber but not hold the strain chuck any tighter? If the reverse thread is a challenge then it's time for another line of work.

Cannon and amphenol are a bit heavy-duty but very well constructed. I have a rack inputs panel with 32 cannon xlrfs that hasn't ever failed since the 80s. What other piece of kit causes you to drop what you're doing and have someone run and replace it pronto? Cable maintenance can't be done on cheap cables.
good luck
WalterT
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Audiopile.net. Their connectors are fine; most also offered with Neutrik for additional charge. I haven't had problems with them for live use.
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Canare L-4E6S Star Quad can be found for about .50 a foot. Less if you buy in bulk.
XLR connectors are in the $3.00 per end price range, which not factoring in your labor, gives you a 30 foot cable for around $21.00 This will rival anything you can buy and you will have the satisfaction of having made it yourself.

If you don't want to go down that route, as Maheeda said, I would choose the Proco simply because they have Neutrik connectors.
Couldn't agree more...I have found that the Canare Neutrik marriage is about as durable as it gets even under the most abusive of environments.

The bit of extra money and the investment in fabrication time is well worth it in the long run.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…