Quantcast
Sampler instead of band? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sampler instead of band?
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Sampler instead of band?

Hey, I really don't know much about samplers and how they work. I've noticed artists like Grimes, Panda Bear, Animal Collective, Julianna Barwick etc. using samplers. They all tend to use a Roland SP 404, dunno if that matters much... Anyways, I write my own music and unfortunately I do not have a band; however, everything I writer and record is "band" music, featuring guitars, vocal with occasional harmonies, drums, bass, organ, piano, the occasional wind instrument and string instrument etc. Anyways, I was wondering if there's some way that I'd be able to perform live on my own using just samplers? I guess what I'm wondering, is that, is there a way that I can make using samplers more interesting. I mean, to my knowledge (even though it's limited) you could just put an entire song into one sample and have it as a backing track right? the only thing about that though, is that would be super lame and i'd pretty much just be doing karaoke. I was thinking it it might be possible to break things up a bit and sorta throw certain instruments from different sections in a song together, so that i could to a little bit more on stage or something, i dunno, i'm just thinking out loud... I figured I could remove the rhythm guitar or something and actually play that part live. The thing is, there will definitely be some songs that I wouldn't be able to push any samples in between if I'm playing the guitar and singing simultaneously. I don't know if I'm making a whole lot of sense, seeing as I don't really know what I'm talking about, cos samplers are quite foreign to me. I'm just hoping that there's is a cool way that I could perform one my own singing, playing guitar and using a sampler. I want to get something to work so that I can perform on my own to not only have people hear my music, but to get used to performing and possibly find other people who are into the style of music I make and would want to join up with me. Pretty much my ultimate goal is to eventually form a band by meeting people who're interested in the same music. I hope someone has been in a similar situation before and can give me a few tips. Thanks
Old 23rd January 2013
yes you can do all that and a whole lot more. a simple way to do it is to play a stereo track from the sampler or laptop or ipad/ipod/phone whatever and one channel is the rest of your song for the audience to hear, with gaps where it is just silent that you fill in with your guitar and vocals. the other channel is more a click track that goes to a stage monitor/headphones or whatever you want so you can keep time even when there is a gap in the backing track thats going to the audience

or you can do this
Tim Exile - PROMO - live in session on Rob Da Bank, BBC Radio 1 - YouTube
Old 23rd January 2013

11 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
you should bring your laptop computer with a soundcard that can ouput more then 4 channels. get a patchbay.

send out groups of your computer => drums, guitars, bg vox, keys to the patchbay and then go from the patchbay to the stagebox.

that opens more possibility to a FOH/mixing guy and make you (probably) sound better.

if you are doing a concert on your own a 2 track is enough.

cheers
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Sounds as though you are describing a multitrack recording that you can edit out portions in advance or simply mute individual tracks during playback in order to perform that part live.

I wonder if any mixers allow inverse linking where bringing up one channel lowers the level of the linked channel, that would be an interesting way to associate related live and playback channels to one another such that turning up/unmuting the live sound also turns down/mutes the related playback track and vice versa.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Prob be best to use a laptop with interface that has multiple outputs to a FOH snake box.

That way the sound tech can adjust mix levels and EQ each element to sound the best for the given system.

Doing a 2 track limits what the sound man can do. What if you send a stereo track and the sound system is mono not stereo. If it needs EQ to sound good in the FOH system then then sound man is limited.

Your mixed 2 track may sound great when you mixed it in stereo on 5" monitors at home, but be way off when played thru a large FOH system in a Hugh resonant venue with 18" subwoofers.
Old 27th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manfrensengensen โžก๏ธ
Prob be best to use a laptop with interface that has multiple outputs to a FOH snake box.

That way the sound tech can adjust mix levels and EQ each element to sound the best for the given system.

Doing a 2 track limits what the sound man can do. What if you send a stereo track and the sound system is mono not stereo. If it needs EQ to sound good in the FOH system then then sound man is limited.

Your mixed 2 track may sound great when you mixed it in stereo on 5" monitors at home, but be way off when played thru a large FOH system in a Hugh resonant venue with 18" subwoofers.
that's a very good point. i wonder how other musicians do it with samplers though... i mean, i wouldn't think they would settle for a crappy sound. Just for an example of some people using samplers

Grimes - Full Performance (Live on KEXP) - YouTube

Lockett Pundt (aka Lotus Plaza) Interview - p2 - YouTube

Panda Bear- "Slow Motion" live at Governers Island 9/11/2010 - YouTube

The reason I thought it would be cool to use a sampler live, is due to the fact that can use effects and I can run my guitar and mic through it. So I figured it'd help me use less gear. On top of that, feel like psychologically for the audience, it would seem much more lame if I was sitting there playing songs from my laptop and just playing guitar and singing over it. I know they're pretty much the same thing, but I feel like some people might view it that way.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
A sample is a recording, With any software DAW on a laptop with an interface you can do the same thing as a sampler does and more.
๐Ÿ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…