Quantcast
NAMM: PreSonus StudioLive AI-series Active Integration Loudspeakers - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NAMM: PreSonus StudioLive AI-series Active Integration Loudspeakers
Old 22nd January 2013
Manufacturer contact @ GS

🎧 10 years
NAMM: PreSonus StudioLive AI-series Active Integration Loudspeakers

via FOH.....

At this month’s NAMM show, PreSonus is unveiling the results of one of the largest R&D projects in the company’s 18-year history.
It’s called Active Integration, and this technology is incorporated into the newest generation StudioLive 32.4.2AI 32-channel mixer (spotlighted on page 23) and PreSonus’ new advanced StudioLive AI-series live sound speakers.
But rather than a another “me-too” speaker-on-stick design, the new AI series grabs the industry by the horns and teaches it a few new tricks along the way.

The line consists of three 3-way top cabinets and a subwoofer.
The StudioLive 328AI has two 8-inch woofers flanking an 8-inch coaxial driver with a 1.75-inch titanium compression driver.
That same coaxial is used for MF/HF reproduction in the 312AI (with a 12-inch LF section) and the 315AI with its 15-inch woofer.
Each top model has onboard Class-D amplification for a combined 2,000 watts of power; the companion 18sAI 18-inch subwoofer has 1,000 watts.

Links to follow.....
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
New AI series loud speakers from Presonus

Holy smokes, these could be huge.. The only question, how do they sound? Any one at NAMM want to stop by the booth and fill us in? I watched the live stream and was impressed, I've got high hopes for these.

FOH online | PreSonus StudioLive AI-series Active Integration Loudspeakers
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
the article claims that the class-D amps are Scandinavian.. only one name comes to mind - Lab Gruppen

this alone will make this product insanely expensive.. ??
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
1,499 US for the 328AI which is really not bad. The SL room control looks as cool as the speaker itself. Come on Presonus, let these sound good!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Given that general understanding says that you need way more power in the low-end, how does this square..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH article
Each top model has onboard Class-D amplification for a combined 2,000 watts of power; the companion 18sAI 18-inch subwoofer has 1,000 watts.
Deleted User
Quote:"the article claims that the class-D amps are Scandinavian.. only one name comes to mind - Lab Gruppen"

But they are a TC Group company, along with Tannoy...is it possible that they are joining forces?
Old 21st February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Cant wait to get a pair of 328's and 18's when they are released
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'd wait until results from the field come back - not much to be gained from buying a company's first foray into speakers, much less a new technology for the MI market. I'd wait at least for an unbiased report from folks like the Sound on Sound in terms of sound quality and ease of use.

Great that Dave Gunness "consulted" on some things, but it's unclear how much his input was used, or what compromises had to be made to hit the lower price points that they're trying to get to for the MI market. Considering his UX8800 box that offers Gunness Focusing for EAW retails for $4100, unclear what he brought to the party.

Given how Line 6's speakers have had to be cut in price dramatically to spur sales, I'd say if you wait, the pricing on the Presonus may follow.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboatguy ➡️
the article claims that the class-D amps are Scandinavian.. only one name comes to mind - Lab Gruppen
Don't count on it. There are several OEM manufacturers over there.
Old 22nd February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
The amp modules are not Lab Gruppen. I was told what they were last week but can't remember. It was not a manufacturer I have heard of before.

While this may be Presonus' first foray into speaker manufacturing, it is not Fulcrum Acoustic's. I heard some of the speakers the other day at the Fulcrum shop and was pretty impressed.
Old 22nd February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
But Fulcrum's not building the speakers - Presonus is. Dave consulted for Presonus, but unclear to what extent or how much of his advice they could use given their price points.

Once we start seeing real world shootouts, road tests and reliability reports, then would be a time to consider them. I just don't personally think there's any need to be part of Presonus' beta testers by being first to buy the product.
Old 23rd February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedorama ➡️
But Fulcrum's not building the speakers - Presonus is. Dave consulted for Presonus, but unclear to what extent or how much of his advice they could use given their price points.

Once we start seeing real world shootouts, road tests and reliability reports, then would be a time to consider them. I just don't personally think there's any need to be part of Presonus' beta testers by being first to buy the product.
Agreed on both points. PreSonus has become very good at trying to make the most of the relationships with both Fulcrum Acoustic and Rational Acoustics and you may have to read what is said carefully or even read what is not said to get an accurate picture of the relationships and the associated products. Looking at some of PreSonus's own literature and responses in their own forums, it is not clear what involvement Fulcrum really has with the AI speakers beyond providing TQ tunings to PreSonus's designers.

It also seems that the AI speakers shown at NAMM are prototypes and are still being tweaked and modified before becoming production versions. That is also why detailed technical information is limited as it would make little sense to spend the money for full testing or publish anything until you have the final product.

Someone who has heard both the PreSonus and roughly comparable Fulcrum offerings summed it up by saying that FA's products are designed and built with a focus on performance while the focus for the PreSonus AI speakers was a defined price point. Their comments were that they were clearly not the same and to not think they were but that you had to consider the cost and the intended applications when comparing them.

I was also told by someone representing Lab Gruppen that it is not Lab Gruppen amps being used in the PreSonus products, however there are several other Scandinavian manufacturers of amp modules. It probably should be noted that amp modules have been a challenge for other powered speaker manufacturers as amps that may work fine in one box sometimes experience unexpected issues in others, so that will be a long term aspect I will be watching.
Old 24th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
B&O comes to mind.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…