4 ohm vs 8 ohm coil length - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
4 ohm vs 8 ohm coil length
Old 21st January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
4 ohm vs 8 ohm coil length

Not sure if this the right place to post this but here’s the problem:

I’m building some new top boxes using double 12” speakers for the mids. I selected the Peavey 1208-4 sps because it’s relatively inexpensive and I like the replaceable basket feature. I’ve worked out the port dimensions and have good flat response down past the lower crossover point (on paper at least). I chose the 4 ohm version over the 8 ohm so that I can get the most out of the power amp I’m using. According to the specs from Peavey, the 4 ohm version has half the Xmax of the 8 ohm version. They have the same basic TS parameters other than the impedance and Xmax. They have the same power handling and the same sensitivity as well. Could that just be a misprint? Could the 4 ohm voice coil be shorter than the 8 ohm voice coil?
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
What specs are you using? I found these on Peavey's website:

Peavey.com

but they don't list a 1208. The models they do list in 4 and 8? versions, seem to have the same Xmax. Is it possible that one lists just the peak travel and the other is peak to peak?

I have some old 1202-4s that came out of some monster mid horns, and I'm pretty sure they have the same length VCs as a regular 1201-8, although I'd have to check to know for sure.

Geoff
Old 22nd January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I sent an email to Peavey about it. Still waiting for a response.
Old 7th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The Xmax is the same. The difference between a 4 and 8 ohm voice coil is mostly the gauge of the wire. The number of windings will be near the same, but 4 ohm coils have to be able to handle more current, so they're thicker, which also lowers resistance. The downside is that coils with thicker wire can't form as dense a magnetic field, so often the efficiency suffers a bit.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…