Recommend budget but good drum mics? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recommend budget but good drum mics?
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Recommend budget but good drum mics?

Hi,

Could anyone recommend some budget drum mics that actually sound good!?

I would like :-

1x Kick Drum mic

1x Snare Mic - must be clip on

3x Tom Mics - must be clip on

Thanks
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Kick - Seneheiser MD 421
Snare - SM-57
High toms - EV-408
Floor tom - Seneheiser MD-421

You can use "The Claw" by Latin Percussion to clip the mics to the rims.
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk ➡️
Hi,

Could anyone recommend some budget drum mics that actually sound good!?

I would like :-

1x Kick Drum mic

1x Snare Mic - must be clip on

3x Tom Mics - must be clip on

Thanks
A buddy of mine likes these guys!
Audix DP5A
Old 19th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter Trash ➡️
Kick - Seneheiser MD 421
Snare - SM-57
High toms - EV-408
Floor tom - Seneheiser MD-421

You can use "The Claw" by Latin Percussion to clip the mics to the rims.
Well I would love some Senheisser MD421's etc but this is a different budget to what I'm talking about!

I'm looking to spend around £40 per mic including clip preferrably!

These are the type of clip on mics I'm considering :-

Samson Q-Snare

Samson — Q Snare

Thomann CD-65 beta

the t.bone CD 56 beta - Thomann UK Cyberstore

Proel DM1

Proel | DM1

iSK TDM-1

iSK TDM-1 Snare / Tom Drum Microphone

iSK TDM-2

iSK TDM-2 Snare / Tom Microphone

As for kick drum mics, I'm not sure yet. I'll have a look around a see what's available. I've been borrowing an Audix D6 but can't really justify a lot of money on drum mics as I use them rarely.
Old 19th January 2013
Dont get the samson ones. The clips fall apart too quickly and the mics dont last much longer

Sent from my XOOM 2
Old 19th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Sennheiser makes a really nice one, the E604. It has a very durable fiberglass body, they sound great, and have a high SPL ratings.(I think it's something ridiculous like up to 150db or so) Use em on snare, and any tom; they hit down to 40Hz.You can find them used for $50-80 US dollars on Ebay, highly recommend them!

As far as kick, Audix D6 is the best thing I've heard on a kick for under 300.

hope this helps

D
Lives for gear

26 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkk ➡️
Sennheiser makes a really nice one, the E604. It has a very durable fiberglass body, they sound great, and have a high SPL ratings.(I think it's something ridiculous like up to 150db or so) Use em on snare, and any tom; they hit down to 40Hz.You can find them used for $50-80 US dollars on Ebay, highly recommend them!

As far as kick, Audix D6 is the best thing I've heard on a kick for under 300.

hope this helps

D
+1000 on the 604's, last tom mics you will ever need to by.
On kik, I'm liking EV868.
Old 19th January 2013
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
yeah check out the 604's... you might be able to find a good deal on some used mics. A 602 or even a 902 is a decent choice for kick
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by edva ➡️
On kik, I'm liking EV868.
I have a Beta 52, D6, and an EV868. I consistently mic a 3 ply maple, Ludwig Legacy set; over time I've found that the D6 just needs little to no EQ for a great start up sound. I do, however, like the EV, the response on it(see attached) is likable for me as well. It will make a good addition to the mic locker.

D
Attached Images
File Type: png EV 868 Frequency Response.png (113.2 KB, 4969 views)
Old 20th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
If you are in the UK and trying to keep the budget down I would say that my favourite cheap mics are the Red5 ones. A lot of people really like them for cheap drum mics particularly the kick drum mic. Unlike the Samson mics, the rim clips can be unscrewed from the snare / tom mics, which means that:
a) If a drummer breaks a clip, you can ring Red5 and buy another
b) You can also stick them on stands and use them for guitar amps etc.

They do various options depending on whether you want small or large diaphragm condensors, or none at all. Pricing from £100 for the whole set. And believe me they sound surprisingly good for that money. A lot of cost is cut out by the manufacturer selling directly rather than going through a distributor and dealer.

Red5 Audio Ltd Drum Microphones
Old 20th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheeda ➡️
yeah check out the 604's... you might be able to find a good deal on some used mics. A 602 or even a 902 is a decent choice for kick
+ 1 on the 902
Old 20th January 2013
yes a lot of people used to always mention the red5 set for a good cheap drum mic set, never used them myself. I bought a set of beyerdynamic opus drum mics a few years ago that i really like, although a bit out of the price range here i guess
Old 7th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The best cheap mic set is the CAD Pro-7 pack. The snare/tom mics clip on, and sound like SM57's but with more bottom end. The condensers are good electrets, great for hats and hand drums, not the best overheads but a decent start. The kick mic is atrocious, you can literally throw it out as I have. But 6 good mics for $199 or less is pretty sweet.

For kick I love my Audix D6, but I should point out that my friend's Audix Fusion F14 sounds identical and was obtained much cheaper. The current Fusion model is the F6, haven't tried it, but I bet it's the same. All the Fusion mics I've tried seem like repackaged D-series mics, if you can find a set of them cheap you're laughing, though the D-Vice clip systems haven't held up to house tech punishment in two venues I know.
Old 9th February 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
The Samson mics don't sound too bad but the build quality is terrible. Got a set of them and every single clip is broken, though you can fit them on sm58 style mic holders. For the price they're hard to beat soundwise.
The Audix fusion set is good but I wouldn't say they sound the same as the D series. I a/b'd them in a recording session and the fusions are very muddy, switching to the D6 sounds like a blanket was lifted off the mic. The D vice system indeed doesn't last- I've broken all mine and have had repair some of them multiple times. Same with the small holders, they break very easily.
I've heard great things about the CAD's. A good friend of mine swears by them and he's a gear snob!
The cheap Tbone mics are alright, the shure style ones I've used for a couple of gigs and they seemed pretty good. Though I didn't try the bass drum mic.
The cheaper line of Shure mics are decent,( PG series I think) I wouldn't be upset if I arrived at a gig without my own mics and they were there.

If I were you I'd go for a decent kick mic and budget tom mics. A 57 or even a 58 will do well on snare if you happen to have one spare. A kick mic will impact the overall sound tons more than a snare or tom mic will, especially in a small venue.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…