Quantcast
Cerwin Vega P-Series active portable pa's? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cerwin Vega P-Series active portable pa's?
Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cerwin Vega P-Series active portable pa's?

Hi,

I noticed that Cerwin Vega has launched new portable active pa speakers here :-

CERWIN-VEGA P-SERIES

Has anyone had a go with these yet or are they too new?

Would love to know how they compare to the Yamaha DXR and FBT ProMaxx range!?
Old 19th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
DRX is based partly on NEXO, which sounds impressive for the price, but mostly is built like a tank.

I've never even heard of Cerwin Vega...
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Crewing vega are well known for making badass efficient home speakers but are not really a player in the pro audio world. Earlier designs were crappy dj horn loaded subs. The new offerings are getting lots of praise from reviewers but are still rather rare.
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yes DXR's are partly based on Nexos but they certainly sound the business! I compared them to a few similarly priced speakers ( Turbosound Milan Mi5's, JBL EON 515XT, Mackie SRM450, JBL EON 15G2's and briefly RCF 715a's).

Everyone that listened to these with me all preferred the DXR15's.

The only speakers I wish I could have compared to the DXR15's is the FBT Promaxx 14a's + subs but I couldn't get a pair here to try.

Whilst I love my DXR15's, technology is changing very quickly and the price bar for high quality gear is continuously being lowered.
I am keen to hear how the Cerwin Vega rig compares to the Yamaha DXR and FBT ProMaxx rig's just to keep in touch with what's available.
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Shift ➑️
DRX is based partly on NEXO, which sounds impressive for the price, but mostly is built like a tank.

I've never even heard of Cerwin Vega...
Cerwin-Vega goes way back, probably 40 years or so. Back in my days as a DJ, we used a wide variety of their portable cabinets (all were passive). Much smoother sound than Peavey, Yamaha, EV, etc. They had some rather innovative designs back then, such as dual-driver cast-iron mid horns where the driver output crossed just ahead of the mount, to help encourage horizontal coverage. Six piezo tweeters weren't the finest high-end, but they worked well atop the cast mid horn, and with a ported 18" below them in a 2'x2'x3' 125 pound cabinet on two wheels. I often scour Ebay looking for a pair of their "SSM-200", aka Single Spruce Moose mid horn: 2' high by 3' wide spruce-wood mid horn, with a 4.5" compression driver into a 2" throat. If I remember correctly, it had a range of 250hz-5khz, so it kept both crossover points out of the key vocal ranges. They still have their Stroker series of low-end drivers; they run a metal rod out through the center of the 18" or 21" driver, and provide a secondary anchoring point at the center of the cone. This keeps the driver centered under high excursion.

I haven't heard any of the new stuff, but I'd buy it in a heartbeat if I was doing any live sound work today. They got their start in pro audio, and added home/car audio to diversify many years later.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Avoid. Their stuff is in the lower echelon with Carvin, Samson and others. Better to buy good stuff used or save up until you can afford better.
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

I don't know who's still left in their engineering department. But, the CVA series sounded great and had well-controlled coverage.

They were just a bit on the heavy side for skinny DJ's/Sound Dudes to move around and set-up...

Anyone who says all C-V speakers sound like crap probably has their hat on the wrong end. Certainly some of their product lines are taylored to folk with less musical ears and thin wallets. So what?

But then, I thought Carvin made some great basses over the years... I just like a wider nut.

-tINY

Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thinner wallets - In many cases you can get much better used, whether you're a DJ or live sound by either saving up or buying used. That was my point. Yes, they are designed to a price point, but there are other options vs. buying and then having to buy better later on. Buy once, cry once is what I have learned.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…