Quantcast
Wharfedale or Mackie PA? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Wharfedale or Mackie PA?
Old 19th September 2012
  #1
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Wharfedale or Mackie PA?

I am wanting to upgrade my current cheapo PA system. Something that is going to fill a room of about 150 people. Just vocals and an iPod.

Which system out of the following quotes:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1662989/Oth...uotesFinal.PNG

What I am looking at getting, since playing around with the quotes:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1662989/Oth...uoteFinal2.PNG

Your opinion would be appreciated!
PS. Prices are in NZD
Old 19th September 2012
  #2
Lives for gear
 
5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Wow, that just seems like a LOT of money for decent but not exceptional gear. Still, I guess stuff is pretty expensive in NZ? Is there any chance of going used? If you're young and you don't mind schlepping stuff that's a bit heavy, used speakers are WAY cheaper. If I were specing a beginner's PA here I'd go with:

Used 15 and horn passive mains by Yamaha, Peavey etc $300
Reconditioned IPR 1600 Peavey amp $250
MF Speaker stand package $100
Used Mackie 1604 VLZ3 $400
Used effects processor, whatever you can find $100

For a total of $1150. When you move up, you can use the speakers as side fills, monitors, or sell them to another new band for most of what you have in them. Same with the Mackie.

If I really wanted to spend $2k around here, I'd probably go with the Yamaha 2016CF mixer/effects/power amp (B stock or used at $750), speaker stands as above and put the remainder into whatever speakers I could find. That or an unpowered Allen and Heath MW3z and a pair of used QSC 122i speakers.
Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent
  #3
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbob1 ➑️
Wow, that just seems like a LOT of money for decent but not exceptional gear. Still, I guess stuff is pretty expensive in NZ? Is there any chance of going used? If you're young and you don't mind schlepping stuff that's a bit heavy, used speakers are WAY cheaper. If I were specing a beginner's PA here I'd go with:

Used 15 and horn passive mains by Yamaha, Peavey etc $300
Reconditioned IPR 1600 Peavey amp $250
MF Speaker stand package $100
Used Mackie 1604 VLZ3 $400
Used effects processor, whatever you can find $100

For a total of $1150. When you move up, you can use the speakers as side fills, monitors, or sell them to another new band for most of what you have in them. Same with the Mackie.

If I really wanted to spend $2k around here, I'd probably go with the Yamaha 2016CF mixer/effects/power amp (B stock or used at $750), speaker stands as above and put the remainder into whatever speakers I could find. That or an unpowered Allen and Heath MW3z and a pair of used QSC 122i speakers.
Thanks for your reply. You're right, things are expensive in NZ, especially when it comes to electronics (generally). But that's all we have. Argh. Do you have specific models for your suggested speaker brands that I can google? Also, if you had to pick out of the systems I listed above, which one would you got for?

Remember though that the prices are in NZ dollars. So $2000NZD is currently $1654USD.
Old 19th September 2012
  #4
113568
Guest
i would take mackie over wharfedale in general, and would try and get JBL rather than mackie. this is just a general rule though. ideally you want to go to a dealer and listen to and see what you are getting, maybe rent them both for a gig and see what is more practical to carry around and setup, as well as what sounds better in the places you would use them.
Old 19th September 2012
  #5
Lives for gear
 
5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I've had good experiences with the Peavey SP5s. They've been in continuous production for more than 2 decades. They're hell for strong, and hell for heavy. Around here the oldest versions sell for around $200 per pair, the newer, lighter ones for $300-350. Yamaha makes a number of different lines, I don't think you'd be disappointed with any of them but I don't know model names. I also like EV, my current setup is 4 Sx200s (12/horn, plastic, 30# each, 128 dB RMS output at the rated 200w) but I got a super good deal on them.

As to JBL, the EON powered speakers have a pretty good rep, but I think the Mackie's are just as good. And their unpowered speakers seem to me overpriced for performance. In the day, JBL was THE best but I think they've been sold a few times since then...

I should ask, how many channels does your mixer need?
Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent
  #6
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinvanda ➑️
i would take mackie over wharfedale in general, and would try and get JBL rather than mackie. this is just a general rule though. ideally you want to go to a dealer and listen to and see what you are getting, maybe rent them both for a gig and see what is more practical to carry around and setup, as well as what sounds better in the places you would use them.
Yeah true true, try before you buy. Why Mackie over Wharfedale though? The retired musician at the store said he's tried multiple speakers but he likes the one he recommended me the best and uses it himself (Quote 1).
Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent
  #7
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbob1 ➑️
I've had good experiences with the Peavey SP5s. They've been in continuous production for more than 2 decades. They're hell for strong, and hell for heavy. Around here the oldest versions sell for around $200 per pair, the newer, lighter ones for $300-350. Yamaha makes a number of different lines, I don't think you'd be disappointed with any of them but I don't know model names. I also like EV, my current setup is 4 Sx200s (12/horn, plastic, 30# each, 128 dB RMS output at the rated 200w) but I got a super good deal on them.

As to JBL, the EON powered speakers have a pretty good rep, but I think the Mackie's are just as good. And their unpowered speakers seem to me overpriced for performance. In the day, JBL was THE best but I think they've been sold a few times since then...

I should ask, how many channels does your mixer need?
I had a Google, but it doesn't look as though the PV5's are sourcable down here. But I did spot a few EON's on a second hand NZ site, but they looked quite beaten up. Re channels, well I only need two; mic and iPod. I know the mixers I've been suggested appear as overkill, but they are the cheapest mixers which have reverb.
Old 29th September 2012
  #8
Gear Nut
 
faderc's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Hi, sorry I didn't look at your actual quotes, but for an audience of 150, I'd recommend a pair of QSC K12, and for a small mixer a mackie profx 8 or 12.

Avoid the wharfdale at all costs, all of the pro/sumer audio speakers I've heard and unfortunately sometimes used, are not good.

Mackie speakers are more acceptable sounding, but have a low resale value and average at best build quality.

Of course in NZ we pay double what they would pay in the states for a lot of stuff...So in the end budget wins.

Cheers
Craig
Old 29th September 2012
  #9
Lives for gear
 
dickiefunk's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
For FOH speakers for 150 people I would personally forget both the Mackie's and Wharfdale's.
I know the Mackies very well and have done sound for some smallish events where there was two stages. Stage 1 used my JBL EON system and Stage 2 used the Mackies. Everytime people kept saying how the EON's sounded better.

Now if you can afford it I whole heartily recommend the Yamaha DXR15's! I recently felt it was time to upgrade my EON's and I tried the Turbosound Milan MI5's and Yamaha DXR15s. The Yamaha's completely blew the EON's away by a lot! The Turbosounds were also very nice my not as clear as the Yamaha's. Also, the Turbosounds didn't cope with higher SPL's as well as the Yamaha's!

The Yamaha's were Β£1049 when I bought them in the UK and I can't think of any pa speakers that some close to them within the same budget. Highly recommended!!
Old 29th September 2012
  #10
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
RCF?
Old 29th September 2012
  #11
Lives for gear
 
hbphotoav's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Absolutely RCF. I make a significant part of my freelance monthly nut by doing small-form PA and AV support, and I own six of the ART322As and have used them for audiences ranging 100 to 800. The sound is as hi-fi as a lightweight 800w/128dB (max SPL) box is going to get. If I was buying new today, I'd give the QSC K12s a hard look... they're a bit heavier, but otherwise, very much in the same league. I greatly prefer 12" woofers... 15s, as a rule, beam way too much as they approach the crossover point in a 2-way system, making vocals pretty harsh on-axis, and thin off-axis... and if you're after LF thump, adding a pair of powered subs is far better than pushing 15s in a small box into overexcursion and/or the amp into clipping.

As to old, ugly JBL EONs... they work. Plain and simple. I own 4 15/2 G1s and four 10/2 G2s. Use them for wedge monitors, mostly, but also for secondary and tertiary rooms in a conference setup. The 15s were 10 years old when I got hold of them, 5 years ago, and are scarred up and ugly as sin... but they work. I can't seem to kill them. Buy new if you gotta have "pretty"... but how the box looks usually (unless there is structural damage) has nothing to do with how they sound. And they go (EONs) for 1/2 to 1/4 the street cost of new, around here.
Old 30th September 2012 | Show parent
  #12
Gear Nut
 
faderc's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartb ➑️
RCF?
At the moment RCF is not as common here in NZ, A few used JBL eons around but while it's favored by some, not my cup of tea.

In NZ we have a lot of QSC, Mackie, Peavey, Wharfdale and down further to ever more horrible cack that does no one any favours.

Oh, there's a bit of Yamaha around as well...

We aren't a big enough country, moving enough stock, to have the range you gentle men and women of the US have.

Cool.
Cx
Old 1st October 2012
  #13
Lives for gear
 
GZsound's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I am a big fan of Wharfedale Titans and not such a big fan of Mackie stuff, especially the Tapco Thump line, which is their very bottom line.

I personally agree with the suggestion to go with Peavey SP5 speakers and a used, or even new Peavey IPR 1600. But if you need smaller lighter speakers, the Wharfedale Titans really sound good and seem to hold up well.
Old 3rd October 2012
  #14
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
I've never heard/seen these QSC actives, but i've always been a big fan of the power amps. Yeah i've always been a bit Meh! when it comes to Eons. If you could go passive, a PV2600 is a good cheap power amp.

Or peavey impulses for active?
Old 11th October 2012
  #15
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Agree
Old 12th October 2012
  #16
Lives for gear
 
johnnyv's Avatar
 
13 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Yamaha! what ever model at the price point you can afford.
Our High School band teacher got talked into the wharfedale's, not sure which model,, have 2x15",, He wanted to "upgrade" from the bagged out looking 12 year old Yamaha's clubs he had, ( 2" horn driver and 15" ) We had them all wired up in the auditorium and the wharfedale's sounded like pure mud.
12 years in the hands of high school kids is pretty good testimony to "road worthy" equipment if you ask me... I have a pair of the 12" same vintage you can almost mix an album with them they are so accurate. Soon I will replace them with the powered version.. only thing is they seemed to have downsized the 2" driver to a 1 3/4"
Old 12th October 2012
  #17
Lives for gear
 
johnnyv's Avatar
 
13 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Old 12th October 2012 | Show parent
  #18
Lives for gear
 
GZsound's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyv ➑️
Yamaha! what ever model at the price point you can afford.
Our High School band teacher got talked into the wharfedale's, not sure which model,, have 2x15",, He wanted to "upgrade" from the bagged out looking 12 year old Yamaha's clubs he had, ( 2" horn driver and 15" ) We had them all wired up in the auditorium and the wharfedale's sounded like pure mud.
12 years in the hands of high school kids is pretty good testimony to "road worthy" equipment if you ask me... I have a pair of the 12" same vintage you can almost mix an album with them they are so accurate. Soon I will replace them with the powered version.. only thing is they seemed to have downsized the 2" driver to a 1 3/4"
That is one problem with Wharfedale, they make a large line of speakers, from cheap DJ speakers to their pro line. We have a sound contractor here in my town that uses nothing but Wharfedale and his system sounds great. But like Carvin, Yamaha, Peavey, etc. there are bottom of the line speakers that sound horrid and top line speakers that sound great.

For instance, the JBL Eon speakers don't get a lot of love and neither do the JRX line, but MRX, SRX, etc. are great. Peavey PR series sound terrible, but their SP line is much better. Yamaha BR speakers don't get much love but the S series are very popular. You can't judge a particular brand of speaker by their cheapest line.
Old 12th October 2012
  #19
Lives for gear
 
johnnyv's Avatar
 
13 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
SO true,, I guess the old saying " You get what you pay for it" still hold true.

Seems when the average joe shops for speakers they go looking for size and price. Then there's the power rating which is often not true.
My short list of things to look for'
Birch plywood
2" horn Driver
Speaker protection
Quality of backplate and connections.
Efficiency rating
The "true" wattage power handling specs.
Weight ( Often related to cabinet build and size of speaker magnets anyhow)

But most important is sound quality. My Experience has always come back to the Horn and driver quality... this is where a lot of your clarity is going to come from. I prefer 12" boxes and subs.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump