The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Two physical inputs on a single channel
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Two physical inputs on a single channel

Hi,

I am looking for a way to have two separate physical inputs on a single input on a stagebox. Only one of the inputs will ever be used at a time, so I am not looking to sum two signals, but rather have two connectors instead of one. Would that be possible with a simple reversed y-cable or by soldering a couple cables together?

Thank you in advance
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Electrically that would sum both signals if they are connected at the same time, to prevent that you would need a way to switch between inputs or simply disconnect the one which isn't being used.. which may defeat the purpose here. Also simply hard wiring the output of 2 devices together may negatively impact sound quality and could even damage electronics, so it will take more than a simply Y cable.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
yeah, but the question is do you need the switch to be hands free? because there is always the option to get a very small analog mixer. unfortunately i don't know any switch like this. the other way around is something like the radial hotshot or palmer dms and use gender reversed cables or adapters. or look into the guitar world as aby pedals are quite common. but those are always unbalanced so not sure if that's an issue or not.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
A Y couple would work, and be the easiest and cheapest solution. Id be interested to know if you are trying to use this for microphones or instruments inputs.

For a couple hundred bucks you could get something like the Radial Mix 2:1 box.
It has x2 XLR or 1/4” inputs (with volume control knob) and one XLR out.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'd get a used Mackie 402 or 802 VLZ mixer. Great Swiss army knife tool that can sum multiple inputs to one channel with the ability to balance them going in. I have my DL1608 for bigger shows, but if it's just a mic and guitar or mic and iPhone, I bring the 402 - and bring the 402 to gigs just in case...
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrySound ➡️
A Y couple would work, and be the easiest and cheapest solution. Id be interested to know if you are trying to use this for microphones or instruments inputs.

For a couple hundred bucks you could get something like the Radial Mix 2:1 box.
It has x2 XLR or 1/4” inputs (with volume control knob) and one XLR out.
Unless you want to possibly "blow" the outputs of your two pieces of equipment it is NEVER a good idea to "Y" two outputs together...FWIW

Inputs are fine.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
use a switch...

...but then, there were (and still are) millions of situations in which mic signals were 'merged' via dead-simple y-cables or a di was used to hook up to guitars etc. - however, not all gear takes mis-use equally well and impedance mis-match can affect sonic results in unexpected ways.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe ➡️
Unless you want to possibly "blow" the outputs of your two pieces of equipment it is NEVER a good idea to "Y" two outputs together...FWIW

Inputs are fine.
We are all talking about inputs
I’ve used a Y cable on inputs many times when in a pinch. It may not be the most ideal, but it works and gets you through the gig.
For example- I have had to Y two rack toms together.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
We are all talking about inputs
I’ve used a Y cable on inputs many times when in a pinch. It may not be the most ideal, but it works and gets you through the gig.
For example- I have had to Y two rack toms together.
No the OP asked about putting two OUTPUTS into a single input... Re read the OPs question...
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
No the OP asked about putting two OUTPUTS into a single input... Re read the OPs question...
I feel like maybe it’s the language/wording of American v European
The OP never uses the word output.

Outputs referring to consoles outputs ie speaker inputs.
INPUTS (which is the exact wording the OP uses) refers to the instruments/ microphones input to the console.

Now, unless you are sending phantom power down the line to something that doesn’t need it. How could a Y cable damage the two sources being Y’d together????
The gain structure or EQ could make it sound like shit, sure. But there’s no damage being done.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
The OP would need to describe what's been plugged into the inputs. Are they passive or active?
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I feel like maybe it’s the language/wording of American v European
The OP never uses the word output.

Outputs referring to consoles outputs ie speaker inputs.
INPUTS (which is the exact wording the OP uses) refers to the instruments/ microphones input to the console.

Now, unless you are sending phantom power down the line to something that doesn’t need it. How could a Y cable damage the two sources being Y’d together????
The gain structure or EQ could make it sound like shit, sure. But there’s no damage being done.
It all depends on what the two outputs are. If they are transformer outputs then it may not do anything except mess with levels and frequency response BUT if they are single ended and or op-amp balanced outputs you run the risk of the OpAmps burning out. Again it depends on how the output circuit is setup. Most Op Amp outputs have a resistor in series with the output, usually 5 to 100 ohms to "somewhat" protect the outputs from shorting out to ground. But if you connect two of them together you run the risk of having the Op Amp overheating because it is trying to "drive" the other op amps output.

See https://electronics.stackexchange.co...ns%20of%20ohms.

and

https://e2e.ti.com/blogs_/archives/b...is-it-possible

It is NOT recommended if you value your equipment

FWIW...
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
It all depends on what the two outputs are. If they are transformer outputs then it may not do anything except mess with levels and frequency response BUT if they are single ended and or op-amp balanced outputs you run the risk of the OpAmps burning out. Again it depends on how the output circuit is setup. Most Op Amp outputs have a resistor in series with the output, usually 5 to 100 ohms to "somewhat" protect the outputs from shorting out to ground. But if you connect two of them together you run the risk of having the Op Amp overheating because it is trying to "drive" the other op amps output.

See https://electronics.stackexchange.co...ns%20of%20ohms.

and

https://e2e.ti.com/blogs_/archives/b...is-it-possible

It is NOT recommended if you value your equipment

FWIW...

Okay buddy. You really went a long way with that one. And I’m not saying your not correct BUT
Do me a favor. Set up a small live console. Y together two dynamic mics, or two passive DIs, and tell me what blows up
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Okay buddy. You really went a long way with that one. And I’m not saying your not correct BUT
Do me a favor. Set up a small live console. Y together two dynamic mics, or two passive DIs, and tell me what blows up
He never said what equipment he needed to have into one input.

Here is what he said: I am looking for a way to have two separate physical inputs on a single input on a stagebox.

Even with dynamic mics or DIs you still can have unexpected problems.

I have done concert sound for over 40 years and am pretty sure any person with my experience would tell the OP the same thing... FWIW
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mads Bas ➡️
Hi,

I am looking for a way to have two separate physical inputs on a single input on a stagebox. Only one of the inputs will ever be used at a time, so I am not looking to sum two signals, but rather have two connectors instead of one. Would that be possible with a simple reversed y-cable or by soldering a couple cables together?

Thank you in advance
I'm using this passive input switch: https://cpc.farnell.com/kramer/vs-4x...P=TREML007-005
If you need something in pedal form, you'll have to look for that.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…