The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Triggering Video Clips On Stage
Old 28th September 2022
Here for the gear

Triggering Video Clips On Stage

Hi Folks,

Our band is looking to spice up our stage show with video. Ideally, in practice our singer would press icons/thumbnails on a tablet or on a control-surface to instantly trigger video clips. A comparison would be the way a sampling keyboard allows the random playback of various audio samples - we would like to do this with video clips (on a budget).

The projector is another unknown: Apparently in a typical club, our 8.8' x 6' (3m X 2m) school-room screen would need 5,000 lumen minimum. Is that a good place to start (or is lumen power even the proper initial shopping parameter??)

There is surely much wisdom out there... I would be so grateful to hear it! Thanks everyone.

Peace,

Dan
San Jose, CA
Old 28th September 2022
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapeake ➡️
Hi Folks,

Our band is looking to spice up our stage show with video. Ideally, in practice our singer would press icons/thumbnails on a tablet or on a control-surface to instantly trigger video clips. A comparison would be the way a sampling keyboard allows the random playback of various audio samples - we would like to do this with video clips (on a budget).

The projector is another unknown: Apparently in a typical club, our 8.8' x 6' (3m X 2m) school-room screen would need 5,000 lumen minimum. Is that a good place to start (or is lumen power even the proper initial shopping parameter??)

There is surely much wisdom out there... I would be so grateful to hear it! Thanks everyone.

Peace,

Dan
San Jose, CA
This post is not getting much attention. Is there a better location for this post?
Old 3rd October 2022

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Hey Dan,
That can be done utilizing a moderate laptop with hdmi output. There are several ways of achieving that. I'll tell you how I did it for my band's live show. We had a pre-programmed (with occasional intended randomness) video installation running on one laptop that responded to midi messages sent from a midi track and midi controllers on another laptop (we are an electronic band with Ableton driving our live setup). The software on the video laptop was Magic Music Visuals. The laptops were connected with ethernet cable, midi transmitted by CopperLan protocol. The "video" laptop was a cheap Lenovo thingy with both hdmi and vga ports to accomodate most of the projectors or LED screens. Magic Music Visuals is quite affordable modular software that not only allows to trigger clips but also apply effects and modulators and control their parameters via midi (that way we achieved intended randomness in the video part). We could trigger clips, opengl shaders, various weird effects from a midi track programmed for each song and make them respond to keyboard parts or filter knobs on the synths.
If you just want to trigger clips manually - this can be done even easier, either from a dedicated software, or even from Ableton Live Suite (which can host video clips like regular audio loops). My suggestion - go with the dedicated VJ software (like mentioned above Magic Music Visuals, or Resolume or whatever else is available now). In most of them you can bind individual clips to buttons on a midi controller or keys on the midi keyboard (or keys on the computer keyboard).
Technically from my experience the main thing is to keep it simple - like don't go 4k And use efficient video codecs designed for live performance (I used HAP codec and everything worked flawlessly). It is better to use a computer with a "gaming" video card. My crappy Lenovo had some subpar budget NVidia as a secondary graphic card and even though it wasn't anyhow fancy for any "real" task it handled live video without glitches.
I even managed to run a DMX lighting installation controlled via midi via Ethernet alongside visuals on the same lousy laptop and it worked fine.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…