Quantcast
2 Speakers w Speakon off 1 Amp Channell? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
2 Speakers w Speakon off 1 Amp Channell?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
2 Speakers w Speakon off 1 Amp Channell?

Hi, Can you power 2 speakers with Speakon connectors off one amp channel. I searched but couldn’t find an answer. I would assume not but am asking anyway. Thanks
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LapoC ➡️
Hi, Can you power 2 speakers with Speakon connectors off one amp channel. I searched but couldn’t find an answer. I would assume not but am asking anyway. Thanks
. Yes. Use a “Speakon splitter”. Google it.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I knew it was worth a shot. Thanks!
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
wait a minute: it depends on the amp and speakers whether you can also safely do it (and keep operating under heavy load)...
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I need to setup email notifications so I see reply’s. Yeah, I hear you on that point. I think it will be Ok. It’s 2 8 Ohm speakers which will make a 4 ohm load. The amp, an Ice 1200as2 puts out 700w/ch at 4ohm. I do have another question. Will a speaker split the channels power evenly, or will both speakers have access to as much power is available considering the amount the other is pulling. For example the mains are 150watts Rms and the Sub’s recommended amp pairing is 400watts. Would it give those watts to them or split the output evenly?

A second point would be, if this were a 2.1 setup with 2 mains and a sub, 1 channel would have a main only, the other a main and sub. Perhaps the signal levels to the mains wouldn’t match in this case. Could it be adjusted on the interface or daw without SQ punishments? This is coming out of an UA Apollo x8p.

Thanks!
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
I need to setup email notifications so I see reply’s. Yeah, I hear you on that point. I think it will be Ok. It’s 2 8 Ohm speakers which will make a 4 ohm load. The amp, an Ice 1200as2 puts out 700w/ch at 4ohm. I do have another question. Will a speaker split the channels power evenly, or will both speakers have access to as much power is available considering the amount the other is pulling. For example the mains are 150watts Rms and the Sub’s recommended amp pairing is 400watts. Would it give those watts to them or split the output evenly?

A second point would be, if this were a 2.1 setup with 2 mains and a sub, 1 channel would have a main only, the other a main and sub. Perhaps the signal levels to the mains wouldn’t match in this case. Could it be adjusted on the interface or daw without SQ punishments? This is coming out of an UA Apollo x8p.

Thanks!
Personally I would keep the sub on one channel and put both the mains on the other channel. This will give you far more flexibility with balancing the sub and you'll need more power to drive the sub than you will the mains. Also might give the option of eq'ing each channel appropriately for the speaker type and putting a high pass filter on your mains. You could then also use the balance control to keep some signals out of the sub altogether - eg vocal mics.

I may have the wrong end of the stick here - are you using this for live sound?
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Yeah, I came to the same conclusion. It will be for both live and studio. This will work until I get another amp. Thanks
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Yeah, I came to the same conclusion. It will be for both live and studio. This will work until I get another amp. Thanks
The studio situation might not work quite so well in mono - but this is fine for live work. I'm not sure how usable connecting the sub and one top on the same channel would be as you need both channels going to the sub for in stereo ideally - I don't think you will break anything but balancing the sound of your system might be a result of more luck than judgement. Then there are all the issues with not having a crossover in place and bass frequencies disappearing because of the phase relationships between the tops and the sub. For a studio set up you'd be better served with a proper crossover of some kind and a separate amp for the sub - maybe skip using the sub in the studio for now?
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Thanks
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…