Quantcast
Sounds with no Low Freq - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sounds with no Low Freq
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Sounds with no Low Freq

So... Something very odd happened the other day at our church. The podium mic (sm58) all of sudden lost it's umph. I don't know the technical terms but it was like the bass was completely gone. Our setup is a Mackie ProFX12 connected to a Bogen GS 100 Amplifier.

When you get closer to the mic it completely sounds distorted. I sound like a kid. Lol the lows are completely done.

I tried troubleshooting... I powered off the amp and mixer moved cables around and the tried it and it seemed to have worked. But then I tweaked the volume and eq on the mixer and it the problem reappeared. Switched the settings back and still have the problem.

I'm not sure what causing it. I tried a new mic and had the same issue.

Could it be the amp or the mixer? And any thoughts on how I can fix this before Sunday! Lol

Thanks,
A
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
If you tried a new mic and got the same problem then my best guess is that the problem is with the speakers and/or the amp, depending on how the amp and speakers are setup.
I'm guessing that the only sound is coming from the tweeters and there is no sound going through the woofers.
There could be a few reasons for this, but that's where I would look next.

EDIT: You could conceivable have accidentally shelved all the lower frequencies at a far too high frequency.
My first guess is that your speakers are "bi amped" and the amp that powers the woofers simply isn't working.

Last edited by AnthonyG; 1 week ago at 01:22 AM..
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyG โžก๏ธ
If you tried a new mic and got the same problem then my best guess is that the problem is with the speakers and/or the amp, depending on how the amp and speakers are setup.
I'm guessing that the only sound is coming from the tweeters and there is no sound going through the woofers.
There could be a few reasons for this, but that's where I would look next.

EDIT: You could conceivable have accidentally shelved all the lower frequencies at a far too high frequency.
My first guess is that your speakers are "bi amped" and the amp that powers the woofers simply isn't working.
We have 7 or 8 Sonance speakers in the main sanctuary. If the sound is coming through the tweete on all the speakers (let's say, I haven't confirmed) you think it's the Amp then?

I check last night and it seemed to be working normally so it's intermittent it seems.

Speakers are Sonance Mariners H20
http://studio-hifi.com/sonance-marin...r-loudspeaker/

Thanks, A
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Getting a fault simultaneously in 7-8 speakers is an extreme long shot, so yes it would more likely be an amp or mixer fault.
Intermittent faults makes it harder to find.
I did notice that there was a graphic equaliser on the amp. If you manually slide down all the lower frequency sliders (the sliders from the left), can you get the same result?
Don't forget to slide them back up.
There well may be an intermittent fault somewhere in the graphic eq circuit.
If you do then I highly doubt that it would be cost effective to repair unless someone in your Church could do it gratis.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I'll give that a try. One thing I've noticed, the amp has toggle switch 1. Acoustic EQ, 2. Out, 3. Feedback Control. The switch is set to Feedback Control. I never changed it and honestly don't know if thats the correct setting. I inherited this task after the person managing the sound passed away. So I'm still figuring out the system.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
You could try switching the eq setting to out and see what happens. Again it well could be the feedback control circuit that's at fault.

Last edited by AnthonyG; 1 week ago at 02:25 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I've been unsuccessful in recreating the problem... I did notice when I turn the volume knobs on the Amp I hear static and some times I hear nothing. Sounds like their is dust or some type of oxidation on the connectors.

Could a thorough cleaning of the dust inside the case and the contact cleaning resolve the intermittent sound issue with the lows dropping?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Dirty sliders and pots (potentiometers, dials) are a known problem/issue for a lot of older gear.
I can't offer you any expert advice on cleaning them though.
๐Ÿ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…