Quantcast
LOW CUT FOR SPEAKERS - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
LOW CUT FOR SPEAKERS
Old 1 week ago
LOW CUT FOR SPEAKERS

GOOD EVENING, I BOUGHT THREE ACTIVE AMPLIFIED SPEAKERS AND AN AMPLIFIED SUB, I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF IT WOULD BE APPROPRIATE TO PUT A LOW CUT FILTER ON THE SPEAKERS AND LEAVE THE LOW FREQUENCIES TO THE SUB. I DON'T INTEND TO SOUND SYSTEMS AND LIVE SYSTEMS.
FEDERICO
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by STRUCTURE9RAH ➡️
GOOD EVENING, I BOUGHT THREE ACTIVE AMPLIFIED SPEAKERS AND AN AMPLIFIED SUB, I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF IT WOULD BE APPROPRIATE TO PUT A LOW CUT FILTER ON THE SPEAKERS AND LEAVE THE LOW FREQUENCIES TO THE SUB. I DON'T INTEND TO SOUND SYSTEMS AND LIVE SYSTEMS.
FEDERICO
Could you provide the model number of the speakers you bought? That will be necessary to answer your question appropriately.

Thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Also, just maybe, try turning off your Caps-Lock key...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
A quick answer? Many subs also act as a high pass filter. You connect primary audio to the sub, it takes the lower frequencies, and then daisy chains to your mains.

There are better ways to do this, but it works pretty well and is certainly simple.

Again, name the subs and mains, and you'll get some great advice here.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEng ➡️
Could you provide the model number of the speakers you bought? That will be necessary to answer your question appropriately.

Thanks!
I have two street audio sp315a and a mackie thump 15a.... i'm watching for the subwoofer, next days i will write the model which is..
Federico
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Broadly speaking yes, maybe & no are the answers depending on the speaker models and the way you deploy them. Generally speaking using a high pass filter on the full range speakers will increase their output capacity in the lower range ( bass reproduction is power intensive ) and reduce destructive interaction with the subwoofer.

I'm unclear on how you plan to deploy three full range speakers for a live PA system but if the single sub is not near to any of the full range speakers the interaction is reduced and some frequency overlap is appropriate. If one or more of the full range speakers are say sitting on the sub then yes you want to high pass the full range at the sub low pass frequency to act as a crossover. Again the right answer absent instructions from the speaker maker is to set it all up and test various configurations to find the one that works best for each mode of set up.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The thump has buttons on the back for "mode". Put it in "Sub" mode. In this mode, the the speaker will "low cut" the speaker. Unfortunately, it doesn't pass that low cut out so you can't use it as a cross-over for your other tops.

I couldn't find any information on your other top speakers. Since they appear to be passive, you should get a cross-over. Set the cross-over point to around 100-110 hz. Send one of the hi signal outs to your tops amplifier, and send the 2 speaker wires to your 2 non-mackie tops. Send the other one of the high signal outs to your Mackie thump.

Send the sub out on the cross-over to your powered sub(s).

You should be able to get a used cheap cross-over on ebay for very little money.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…