Quantcast
upgrade for Behringer PA speakers - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
upgrade for Behringer PA speakers
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

upgrade for Behringer PA speakers

I have a three-piece band - keyboard, bass, and drums. Original songs in the "70s pop/rock" style.

We have been using a pair of Behringer B212 speakers for live gigs (also recently acquired a 15" sub-woofer). Power/volume has been sufficient, but I am looking to upgrade the quality of the sound.

Everyone raves about the QSC k12.2, but I'd rather not spend that much (unless the extra cost will really make that much of a difference).

Mainly looking at the EV ZLX 15" or the QSC CP 12"

Both seem to get good reviews. While I could probably find a Guitar Center to compare them, I'm not sure a showroom would give an accurate picture vs an actual live situation. Also not sure I could get a comparison vs my current Behringers.

Is it worth the move from the 212s to the ZLX or CP12? Will I hear a significant difference?

Does it make sense to consider breaking the bank and looking at the K12.2? Is that going to be a major quality difference over the ZLX or CP?

Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm21 ➡️
I have a three-piece band - keyboard, bass, and drums. Original songs in the "70s pop/rock" style.

We have been using a pair of Behringer B212 speakers for live gigs (also recently acquired a 15" sub-woofer). Power/volume has been sufficient, but I am looking to upgrade the quality of the sound.

Everyone raves about the QSC k12.2, but I'd rather not spend that much (unless the extra cost will really make that much of a difference).

Mainly looking at the EV ZLX 15" or the QSC CP 12"

Both seem to get good reviews. While I could probably find a Guitar Center to compare them, I'm not sure a showroom would give an accurate picture vs an actual live situation. Also not sure I could get a comparison vs my current Behringers.

Is it worth the move from the 212s to the ZLX or CP12? Will I hear a significant difference?

Does it make sense to consider breaking the bank and looking at the K12.2? Is that going to be a major quality difference over the ZLX or CP?

Thanks in advance for any input.
I would consider checking out RCF which will be a bigger upgrade than the QSC or EVs in terms of the quality of the drivers and sound. RCF will start at around $450 for their least expensive speakers.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Be really honest about your setup - what's the weak link at the moment?

I would be very surprised if your speakers were the weakest link. You're quite likely to find it's the performance or the mix - both potentially fixed by hard work at no cost - just saying...
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

You did say UPGRADE from B212's right?

I own some EV ZLX12p... and I have even put a band through them but geez.... it wouldn't be my first choice these days.. you have to aim higher for live sound reproduction. I'm going to be totally honest... the B212's have no business at FOH for a band, they aren't even good enough for a DJ with subs. The EV ZLX or QSC CP's are better but not enough to be worth the effort. What you should be buying are RCF HD32's or something similar with a large format compression driver. This is the type of thing you won't understand until you hear it, the big CD brings the vocals right up front, you don't have to do anything it's just all clarity and presence. But these big drivers are expensive so you will not get this performance in a budget box, you have to spend some $$.
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecSp ➡️
Be really honest about your setup - what's the weak link at the moment?

I would be very surprised if your speakers were the weakest link. You're quite likely to find it's the performance or the mix - both potentially fixed by hard work at no cost - just saying...
We run everything through a Soundcraft ui24, which allows for multi-track recording via a USB stick. I take that and create a mix in my DAW. We are happy with the performance and mix on that.

It's definitely possible that the live mix leaves something to be desired. I don't have the same tools available in the DAW post-gig. We also don't have someone to tweak the mix when playing live.

I'll definitely give the mix some careful review. Thanks.

edited to add... I know there's a lot of dislike for the Behringer's. It is what we have to work with. The sound isn't that bad for the small venues we play. I'm just looking for something better. To your point... most of my concern may very well be the mix.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzgitter ➡️
I would consider checking out RCF which will be a bigger upgrade than the QSC or EVs in terms of the quality of the drivers and sound. RCF will start at around $450 for their least expensive speakers.
I'll definitely check out the RCFs. $450 is in my budget.

(Another poster mentioned the HD32s... at $999 each, that's definitely outside my budget.
Gear Addict

Quote:
(Another poster mentioned the HD32s... at $999 each, that's definitely outside my budget.
I get the budget thing I really do... but let me ask you this, how much does your bands keyboard rig cost? What about the drumset? Can you hear the difference between a $250 guitar and a $2000 guitar?

For a live band the speakers are easly the most significant component in the whole PA system determining the quality of your presentation. I blows my mind to see musicians each bring thousands of dollars in instruments and microphones to a gig and put it all thought entry level PA speakers. Don't they realise there is an even bigger difference in PA speakers than there is with instruments as you move up through the price brackets.

Like I said above.. I get the budget thing, if you guy are not one of those above and there really is no money then then don't spend any... use what you have. But if you are one of those above types then wait and save up the money to do it right... the same as you would with an instrument purchase.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Comparing speakers at guitar center???

Quote:
I could probably find a Guitar Center to compare them, I'm not sure a showroom would give an accurate picture vs an actual live situation.
If you're looking for new speakers, go to the clubs and find bands that sound better than your band and see what they're using.

Comparing cabs in GS is like shopping at Best Buy for a new television; when you visit the store (looking for the one model that is "on sale") you look at the wall of TV's and notice that the "one on sale" has a picture that is brighter/more contrast, etc.....wow, it's better(?)....not knowing that the other TVs' settings were changed (darker picture/less contrast) to make the sale item stand out.
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M ➡️
If you're looking for new speakers, go to the clubs and find bands that sound better than your band and see what they're using..
Pretty dodgy advice - find bands that sound better than your band probably means that you've found bands that *are* better than your band.

I've heard super tight bands made of name session musicians that sound awesome through the ropiest PA. And of course, crappy bands that still don't sound great through the best PA.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yep I agree with what Alec said above!
I used a single pair of Yamaha DXR15’s at an amphitheatre for 320 people. I had 4 vocals, 2x keys, fully miked drums and bass running by through the system and had a lot of people coming me up at the end and say how great they thought the sound was. On this gig the musicians very very seasoned pros with great sounding instruments that knew how to get the best out of them! Also, the singers were highly experienced session such Niger’s that had great mic technique! Finally, I used high quality mics throughout (Telefunken, Sennheiser etc).
At the same venue I heard a band through a D&B rig and there were complaints regarding the sound!

I’ve also experienced a hugely experienced and knowledgeable engineer help a band with their FOH on their EV ELX12p’s and the difference he made to the sound was dramatically better!!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…