The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is there a way to mic a small cymbal so it sounds like a big one?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Is there a way to mic a small cymbal so it sounds like a big one?

I have a very portable mobile percussion setup. I've been using a 16" Crash because that's the sound I need. I'd really like to go to a smaller size. It looks too big and is heavy. Is there a way to go to much smaller cymbal and mic it so it sounds like the bigger one? Any tips on equipment and/or cymbal much appreciated.
Old 1 week ago
SRS
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Not possible, unless you "slow down" the audio to lower the pitch in a recorded situation. Live, there is no true feasible way. It is physics. Larger cymbals have more mass/metal and put forth more sound in a "larger" way.

Last edited by SRS; 1 week ago at 01:10 AM.. Reason: fixed typo
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRS โžก๏ธ
Not possible, unless you "slow down" the audio to lower the pitch in a recorded situation. Live, there is no true feasible way. It is physics. Larger cymbals have more mass/metal and put forth more sound in a "larger" way.
In this setup I have only one cymbal and use it making sounds primarily like a high hat (muted with one hand) a lot the bell sound and occasionally a full ending crash. I'm very new to micing cymbals so I hoped there might be a trick to lighten the load. Thanks.
Old 1 week ago
SRS
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
If you use it primarily as a HiHat sound, then common HH sizes are 14" and 13" so you may be able to downsize a bit. Not sure how you get a real HH sound with only one cymbal though...???
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRS โžก๏ธ
If you use it primarily as a HiHat sound, then common HH sizes are 14" and 13" so you may be able to downsize a bit. Not sure how you get a real HH sound with only one cymbal though...???
I strike it while damping it with my forearm or the other hand so it has the effect of a closed hit hat. I do use it often as a ride but a crash effect as well. I was wondering if using some kind of processor might do the trick like how some can change ones voice in so many ways. Cheers.
๐Ÿ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…