The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
X32 Replacement
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

X32 Replacement

First post here. Could have sworn I was a member but I guess I wasn’t. Just a reader.

Looking to possibly switch to a new mixer. Wanting something smaller just for ease of hauling around. Also something a little more refined. Stay with 24 channels at least. Still needs to be digital although I much prefer analog, but being able to mix out front with iPad is necessary with board next to stage. One thing I like about the X32 is being able to multitrack the performance on to a SD card so I don’t have to bring a computer. I know I can look online and see A&H, Yamaha, PreSonus but wanting some real world opinions like if I had to do it all over again I would get… Or I get this and so glad I did because… Prefer to stay around 3,000 but would go up if it’s worth it. Will offset cost by selling X32.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
It might help if you said what currency your 3,000 is in - Iit may well be USD, but it could be anything.

Unfortunately, I predict you'll get a load of "I've got an xxx - they're the best".

You've already got a reference in the X32. Every digital mixer lets you multitrack and control remotely - it's the nuances that make the difference. Yuu've told us nothing about what you really want to do with your mixer, and what you want to change (other than size). What does "more refined" mean?

If USD 3,000 is your limit, and you need 24 channels and a control surface, your choices appear to be X32 Producer/Compact or M32R plus stagebox, QU16 plus stagebox, QU-24 (a bit big), TF-1 plus stagebox, TF-2, Soundcraft Impact, Si Expression 2, Studiolive 32. SQ and others creep outside your price range.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
X32 Racks and a bunch of tablets ;-)
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecSp ➡️
It might help if you said what currency your 3,000 is in - Iit may well be USD, but it could be anything.

Unfortunately, I predict you'll get a load of "I've got an xxx - they're the best".

You've already got a reference in the X32. Every digital mixer lets you multitrack and control remotely - it's the nuances that make the difference. Yuu've told us nothing about what you really want to do with your mixer, and what you want to change (other than size). What does "more refined" mean?

If USD 3,000 is your limit, and you need 24 channels and a control surface, your choices appear to be X32 Producer/Compact or M32R plus stagebox, QU16 plus stagebox, QU-24 (a bit big), TF-1 plus stagebox, TF-2, Soundcraft Impact, Si Expression 2, Studiolive 32. SQ and others creep outside your price range.
That would be USD in currency. I talked to a buddy of mine and he suggested the M32 being it has better guts and a nicer build and would be a system Im already familiar with. I work with a lot of artist that have been on the Voice and will do smaller acoustic type shows then do a full on band with lots of gear. Haven't yet gone above 24 so having the small board will just make it easier. But having that option to go up to 32 is nice for future proof. Once it is set Im pretty much away from the board mixing out in the audience. Really like the QL1 but that is a jump in price. Our church where I play guitar has that one.
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
get the yamaha ql (or allen&heath sq series).
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah ➡️
get the yamaha ql (or allen&heath sq series).
Er, even the QL1 & RIO1608 is some 4x the OP's budget. As mentioned above, SQ is is also outside his budget, albeit by quite a bit less:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPStrat ➡️
Prefer to stay around [USD] 3,000 but would go up if it’s worth it.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
i know - nevertheless, almost all gear can be found for considerably less than msrp and personally, i'd do anything to avoid gear from evil b and his proxys...

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 3 days ago at 09:53 PM..
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
If you are happy with the capabilities and sound of the X32, but would simply like something smaller AND still want a control surface take a look at the X32 Compact OR the M32R.

If you want something with all the X32 features and DON'T absolutely need a control surface, look at the X32 Rack.

If I have mistaken your post and you are unhappy with the X32, the please let us know what about it you are unhappy with so we can make appropriate recommendations.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
a sonic upgrade to consider is SQ6..above budget a bit
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have a SQ5 & DX168 stage box combo that offers 32 channels of 24/96K XCVI processing. Adding $350. for the 5 compression package brings the USD street price to between 4 and 5 thousand dollars. World class sonic quality at that price point is a real bargain.
Hugh
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughshouse ➡️
I have a SQ5 & DX168 stage box combo that offers 32 channels of 24/96K XCVI processing. Adding $350. for the 5 compression package brings the USD street price to between 4 and 5 thousand dollars. World class sonic quality at that price point is a real bargain.
Hugh
Undeniably a much better solution overall, and smaller than an X32 (although you do need the stage box to get to the same channel count).

Still haven't heard from the OP if he is willing to shell out another ~ $3,000.00 to upgrade from the X32 or not .... or if there is some other deficiency OTHER than size he is looking to fulfill.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
How about a Midas DL16 or DL32 - you have the nice Midas pre-amps and connect easily to the X32. USD price on the DL16 $800, DL32 $1300. Keep the same mixer.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
If you appreciate the X32's Transient Designer effect you should know that nothing similar is available for the SQ5 even as an add-on. There's also no RTA except in the GEQ's. I can believe the SQ5 EQ's sound better, but the preamps are not better than the X32's, which are indistinguishable from Midas Pro preamps except in studio settings.

Have you used the X32's Pultec EQ emulator (XTEC EQ1)? If you haven't I'll walk you through how to set it up. It adds a layer of nice coloration that takes an X32 more than halfway to the sound quality of a Midas Pro. You should definitely try this before abandoning the X32/M32 platform.

That said, an M32R alone could suit your needs well. You should know that the 6 aux inputs are totally suitable for dynamic mics and DI's, just that they're limited to 12dB of gain, beyond that you'll have to use compressor gain, and of course need XLR/TRS adapters. But even without a DL16 they've got 22 inputs, awfully close to your 24 requirement. That's pretty campy of course, but if it's for your own use, who's going to know?
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
X32 rack and dl16 stagebox if you want to stay with the x32 system, or the Midas rack that’s just the brain and the dl32 stagebox (or 2 dl16). The Midas preamps are noticeably different than the behringer preamps, not that the behringer preamps sound bad.

And if you want faders, the x-touch works well with the x32 system. I have the x32 rack, a dl16, and an x-touch and it’s handled gigs well. The nice thing about this setup is that I can bring just the x32 rack and a tablet for something small, and bring the other pieces when I need them.

I am looking at the sq5 and stagebox as an upgrade at some point, but it’s not in my budget in the near future and I also haven’t encountered things that my x32 system can’t handle yet (when I have to bring it I mean, most of my gigs involve using house sound systems so I’m not bringing my mixer anyway). My x32 is for small gigs where I have to bring PA and it’s been great for that.
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2SPL ➡️
If you appreciate the X32's Transient Designer effect you should know that nothing similar is available for the SQ5 even as an add-on. There's also no RTA except in the GEQ's. I can believe the SQ5 EQ's sound better, but the preamps are not better than the X32's, which are indistinguishable from Midas Pro preamps except in studio settings.

Have you used the X32's Pultec EQ emulator (XTEC EQ1)? If you haven't I'll walk you through how to set it up. It adds a layer of nice coloration that takes an X32 more than halfway to the sound quality of a Midas Pro. You should definitely try this before abandoning the X32/M32 platform.

That said, an M32R alone could suit your needs well. You should know that the 6 aux inputs are totally suitable for dynamic mics and DI's, just that they're limited to 12dB of gain, beyond that you'll have to use compressor gain, and of course need XLR/TRS adapters. But even without a DL16 they've got 22 inputs, awfully close to your 24 requirement. That's pretty campy of course, but if it's for your own use, who's going to know?
When I get back to gigging again (this fall or next spring I expect), I might look you up for some tips on the XTEC EQ1. I know how to put it in the inserts, but would like to see how you have it setup.

Cool post
Old 19 hours ago
Here for the gear

So I found a basically brand new M32R Live, still had the plastic covering the screens. Definitely can tell the difference in build quality compared to the X32. Thanks for all the input.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…