The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Outdoor live + Streaming mix
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Outdoor live + Streaming mix

HI, I'm new to this forum. I've been doing mixing for our church for about 1 year, using an A&H QU-24. Thus far it's been primarily streaming with some occasional live services indoors. We now want to try doing some live services outside. We want to have both live and streaming mixes. I really do not want to have to move the QU-24 back and forth to accommodate this. So, I'm looking for a small digital mixer (preferably <$500USD) that I can send a mix to a set of PA speakers (which we have), and also send a mix with FX to the computer for streaming. We'll have a max of 5 inputs - 2 stereo from a keyboard, and up to 3 mics.
I've found the Soundcraft Ui12 that may work, but have no experience with it. It doesn't seem to have the FX available for aux out, only the mains. So I was wondering if I can do the stream from the mains with FX, and just send a pre -aux signal to the speakers? The aux seems geared more towards monitor use, I am assuming this pretty much a standard for most smaller digital mixers.
I don't see the need to do much FX for the PA speakers, given the setting it will be in.
Thoughts? Other recommendations?

Thanks
Doug
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
In that budget, yes there's little choice, but the XR series will do what you want. I'd always suggest plumping for the XR18 if you can as it'll give you more I/O, XLR ins/outs everywhere, and the multitrack USB I/O for recording. While the XR12 will do what you want, for very little more, the XR18 as a utility box will allow you to do so much more for this and other events.

All of the XR mixers have 6 mixbuses, plus 4 dedicated FX mixbuses. You can route whatever you like to the XR12's LR & 2 aux outputs. With the XR18 you have LR & 6 aux outputs - so much more flexibility. The 4 FX units can be used in send/return mode or insert mode, and can be inserted or sent wherever you like. Have a play with the X-AIR EDIT software which you can download from the Behringer website, that should help you understand your options.

All of this is pretty standard for most digital mixers, though you might be used to a slightly less flexible architecture on your QU.

If you get an XR, just make sure you use it with either a cabled connection to a PC, or with an external wi-fi router/access point.

In theory the UI12 will also work, but they've proved to have plenty of problems over their lifetime. A few swear by them, but may swear at them!

Can't think of anything else in your budget range. Really, don't overthink it, just get an XR and use it!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I second the XR18. It would allow you to have someone monitor the webstream on headphones from a laptop inside the church, somewhere close enough that they can make adjustments to the webstream mix from an extra tablet or phone over wifi. You don't want to guess at the effects levels based upon what you'll be doing outside.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…