The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
is FMR RNP preamp road-worthy?
Old 13th February 2021
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Question is FMR RNP preamp road-worthy?

Hi everyone,

a musician (wind multi-instrumentalist) needs a two channel pre (for 1 mic & 1 1/4" inst) to feed into guitar effects. The effects chain is centered on the Line6 HX Effects, which has switchable line level / hi-z inputs.

The FMR RNP looks like it fits the bill perfectly, but I wonder if it can stand up to touring (if we ever start touring again). Any thoughts, or other suggestions? It's strange how few small, simple, solid state pres I'm finding for road use...

thanks!
~peter in athens
Old 13th February 2021
Lives for gear

26 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by huzzam ➡️
Hi everyone,

a musician (wind multi-instrumentalist) needs a two channel pre (for 1 mic & 1 1/4" inst) to feed into guitar effects. The effects chain is centered on the Line6 HX Effects, which has switchable line level / hi-z inputs.

The FMR RNP looks like it fits the bill perfectly, but I wonder if it can stand up to touring (if we ever start touring again). Any thoughts, or other suggestions? It's strange how few small, simple, solid state pres I'm finding for road use...

thanks!
~peter in athens
I used one of these for years with no issues. I would say they are at least as road worthy as most other electronic gear. Plus, the customer service was excellent, the one time I needed it. New PSU I think (wall wart).
Also, it is a very good sounding preamp, and a great small form factor.
IMHO. Good luck.
Old 13th February 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The roadworthiness if this is going to depend much more on the owner than on the unit itself.

Look after it, case it, and it'll likely last you for donkey's years.

Throw it in the bottom of a bag with loads of other kit, and you might have problems.

The bit that's most likely to fail is the external power supply - but even that will be from cable abuse. So, again, treat it well and it will return the favour.
Old 16th February 2021
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
thanks so much for the info! i think i'm sold on it...
Old 23rd February 2021
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Not road worthy, I took mine to a friends to do some recording and one of the attenuation knobs got broken off. They stick out far and the shaft is tiny. Very nice preamp though.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear