Quantcast
So I nearly exploded my guitar amp... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
So I nearly exploded my guitar amp...
Old 28th January 2019
Here for the gear

So I nearly exploded my guitar amp...

Hi all, noob to live sound here - so I did a gig on Saturday in a busy mid-sized pub. Setup was acoustic guitar (through Boss RC1 looper) and 2 mics into a Behringer 1202 mixer. From there I went jack cable out of phones socket to input socket of 60w SubZero acoustic guitar amp.

I was struggling to get the sound loud enough to reach the back of the pub over the noise without feeding back, and listening back to videos the sound was a bit distorted. Neither the amp or the mixer were up full but the amp was still struggling, to the point that it started to cut out towards the end. It was also red hot when we finished.

I know it's probably just that I need a PA, which is on the list, but being a newbie I thought I'd just see if there's any glaring errors I made in the setup.

Cheers!
Old 28th January 2019
Lives for gear

Besides a minor miracle do you have the amp up on an amp stand or a case like a meter off the floor?
This might help. Otherwise purchase some powered loudspeakers and put them up on speaker stands
and put a mic or a line out of your guitar amp into the mixer.
If you are running your vocals back through that guitar amp then your really need a sound system.
Old 28th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonno234 ➡️
Hi all, noob to live sound here - so I did a gig on Saturday in a busy mid-sized pub. Setup was acoustic guitar (through Boss RC1 looper) and 2 mics into a Behringer 1202 mixer. From there I went jack cable out of phones socket to input socket of 60w SubZero acoustic guitar amp.

I was struggling to get the sound loud enough to reach the back of the pub over the noise without feeding back, and listening back to videos the sound was a bit distorted. Neither the amp or the mixer were up full but the amp was still struggling, to the point that it started to cut out towards the end. It was also red hot when we finished.

I know it's probably just that I need a PA, which is on the list, but being a newbie I thought I'd just see if there's any glaring errors I made in the setup.

Cheers!

Yup. Your amp is made to accept the tiny voltage output from a guitar pickup. After running the signal through a mixer you have raised the voltage several times until it's above the design capacity of the amp input circuit.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…