The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ultra compact speaker stands?
Old 30th May 2017
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Ultra compact speaker stands?

Hello,

I'm looking for a super compact telescoping speaker stand that can hold 30-40 lbs. We travel (by plane) with powered 10" speakers and usually have to borrow or rent speaker stands. We have mic stands that telescope down super small. But it doesn't seem like anyone makes speaker stands that do the same.

I'm thinking if I can't find any of just building / modifying some myself. I think if I start with a compact set and then add pvc pipe that telescope from the legs and the top that could work. Any thoughts?

Last edited by jackchandelier; 30th May 2017 at 10:21 PM..
Old 31st May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackchandelier ➑️
Hello,

I'm looking for a super compact telescoping speaker stand that can hold 30-40 lbs. We travel (by plane) with powered 10" speakers and usually have to borrow or rent speaker stands. We have mic stands that telescope down super small. But it doesn't seem like anyone makes speaker stands that do the same.

I'm thinking if I can't find any of just building / modifying some myself. I think if I start with a compact set and then add pvc pipe that telescope from the legs and the top that could work. Any thoughts?
34" inches folded in a bag

On Stage SSP7750 Compact Speaker Stand Pak
Old 31st May 2017
Gear Addict

I know it's less expensive to bring it carry-on, but it's getting a bit absurd with everyone stuffing the overhead bins to the max. Just check the stands. You can check them up to 62". You can go to 80" for an additional fee.
Old 31st May 2017 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calneva ➑️
I know it's less expensive to bring it carry-on, but it's getting a bit absurd with everyone stuffing the overhead bins to the max. Just check the stands. You can check them up to 62". You can go to 80" for an additional fee.
Never said I was bringing it carry on. I check a drum kit (it's a small one and I modified it so the entire thing fits in the 18" kick drum) and my singer checks a small suitcase with the rest of the gear in it, and then gate checks his guitar. I would put the speaker stands in one of the two checked bags, but 62" would never fit.

I ordered a pair of these: https://smile.amazon.com/Samson-LS40...Speaker-Stand/

They seem like the smallest stands I could find, and again, I'll probably end up modifying them with PVC. I may just end up making a pair from scratch with PVC, as the other issue is weight. We are just barely at the 50lb per bag limit as it is so every pound counts!
Old 31st May 2017
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I have a set of those Samson stands and they work fine. Very portable and sturdy if you don't extend them too high.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Never said I was bringing it carry on. I check a drum kit (it's a small one and I modified it so the entire thing fits in the 18" kick drum) and my singer checks a small suitcase with the rest of the gear in it, and then gate checks his guitar. I would put the speaker stands in one of the two checked bags, but 62" would never fit.

I ordered a pair of these: https://smile.amazon.com/Samson-LS40...Speaker-Stand/

They seem like the smallest stands I could find, and again, I'll probably end up modifying them with PVC. I may just end up making a pair from scratch with PVC, as the other issue is weight. We are just barely at the 50lb per bag limit as it is so every pound counts!
4.5ft height extended is pretty much useless as a pro speaker stand.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Sound Guy ➑️
4.5ft height extended is pretty much useless as a pro speaker stand.
Does no one here know how to read?
Old 1st June 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Does no one here know how to read?
I don't get it. These extend to a max height of 4.75', which as stated is pretty useless. What am I missing?

I am always looking for lighter stuff. obviously you have to trade some durability for the weight savings, but I am ok with that. A stand height fully extended under 5' doesn't check the boxes for my needs though, and assume it doesn't help many others either. A little better than sitting on the floor I guess.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
In my original post I said that sense this product most likely does not exist I would make or modify stands by adding PVC to the legs and the top, this would make them taller. But also 5ft or so would be fine. There's no reason our speakers need to be seven feet high.
Lives for gear
Quote:
In my original post I said that sense this product most likely does not exist I would make or modify stands by adding PVC to the legs and the top, this would make them taller. But also 5ft or so would be fine. There's no reason our speakers need to be seven feet high.
I don't think I'd ever use PVC pipe to hold anything up. Ever.

If you modify the speaker stand as you say and something happens (it's unstable and falls on someone, for instance), you're in big trouble.

Worth it?

Just use them as-is. Having the bottom of the cabinet 5' off the deck isn't the end of the world, but if it's a standing audience, someone's face is gonna get melted.

Chris
Old 1st June 2017
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris661 ➑️
Quote:
I don't think I'd ever use PVC pipe to hold anything up. Ever.

If you modify the speaker stand as you say and something happens (it's unstable and falls on someone, for instance), you're in big trouble.

Worth it?

Just use them as-is. Having the bottom of the cabinet 5' off the deck isn't the end of the world, but if it's a standing audience, someone's face is gonna get melted.

Chris
Face melted? We play super quiet background jazz.

I don't see the problem with pvc. It's durable, strong, and lightweight.

Honestly I don't know why I bother posting in forums like this regarding anything DIY. All that happens is a bunch of people tell me it won't work, and then I go ahead and do it myself and it works out great. The exact same thing happened when I built my nesting drum kit, my portable folding drum riser, my custom flight cases, etc..
Old 1st June 2017
Gear Addict

PVC pipe is not structural, but you can just as easily acquire some aluminum tube.

If you like building with PVC, check out Hollaender's Speed-Rail. Search Amazon for "hollaender fittings."
Old 1st June 2017
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Manfrotto makes amazing gear, they probably have something suitable. I've seen speakers on Tribal Orbit mic stand too, but not in the 30-40 lbs range.

Dutchy
Lives for gear
Quote:

Honestly I don't know why I bother posting in forums like this regarding anything DIY. All that happens is a bunch of people tell me it won't work, and then I go ahead and do it myself and it works out great. The exact same thing happened when I built my nesting drum kit, my portable folding drum riser, my custom flight cases, etc..
Sigh...

I DIY most of my own kit.
Some things, though, I leave up to the professionals. Load-bearing stands are one of them. Mains distros are another.

I could DIY those things, but making sure they're safe for our use is a lot of work that I'd rather pay someone else to do.

Chris
KEL
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

While I think Face melting is exaggeration, you probably know that you don't want your speakers at face level, regardless of music genre.

Schedule 40 PVC is pretty strong in those diameter sizes. The idea will probably work for a powered 10" cabinet. Most are in the 29-35 lb range. How to sleeve it or puts stops inside or outside the tubes might be difficult and a failure point ..beyond the tensile strength of the pipe itself. It's not very attractive stuff, doesn't paint very well, and sort of kludgy. I'd not want to put 4 pieces(if that's what it takes) of PVC on the speakers stands every gig.

I'd probably just get Ultimate support TS70b and modify them a bit
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEL ➑️
While I think Face melting is exaggeration, you probably know that you don't want your speakers at face level, regardless of music genre.

Schedule 40 PVC is pretty strong in those diameter sizes. The idea will probably work for a powered 10" cabinet. Most are in the 29-35 lb range. How to sleeve it or puts stops inside or outside the tubes might be difficult and a failure point ..beyond the tensile strength of the pipe itself. It's not very attractive stuff, doesn't paint very well, and sort of kludgy. I'd not want to put 4 pieces(if that's what it takes) of PVC on the speakers stands every gig.

I'd probably just get Ultimate support TS70b and modify them a bit
As much as I'd love to "leave it up to the professionals" there just doesn't seem to be a product in existence that will work.

If I can get metal instead of pvc that is the correct size then I will. I would use black pvc (looks fine) and I wouldn't have to put pieces on the stands every gig, I would permanently modify the stands so that they have additional telescoping pieces.

Anyway, I'll post back here with my results when I have them.
KEL
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
As much as I'd love to "leave it up to the professionals" there just doesn't seem to be a product in existence that will work.

If I can get metal instead of pvc that is the correct size then I will. I would use black pvc (looks fine) and I wouldn't have to put pieces on the stands every gig, I would permanently modify the stands so that they have additional telescoping pieces.

Anyway, I'll post back here with my results when I have them.
You actually didn't list a size you'd want the stands to be when folded.

I'd not feel all that comfortable adding height to a Samson stand by glueing or pinning PVC to it, that is already at about an 80% weight capacity with a 10" speaker. Metal may be stronger in and of itself but won't actually increase the weight handling of the original design. But I suppose if you keep safety in mind, cool...I'm not the one traveling, having to use them.
Old 3rd June 2017
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
PVC doesn't bend, it breaks...

Have you thought about what happens when the PVC does break because of (repeated) incorrect use? Who will be responsible for any injuries or damage? Some things can be done the DIY way, some should not. I would strongly suggest to cut your losses and carry a pair of K&M speaker stands. I used to have a pair that would hold up to 50kg each and have a self-weight of only 3,5kg. Regular size, but impressive none the less.

Height wise, it's very simple. In order to reach beyond the first row you'll need to get the horns (preferable the whole cabinet) above head height. The ideal height can easily be calculated, but generally higher is better. This is independent of musical genres and has to do with simple physics.

Dutchy
Old 3rd June 2017
KEL
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
How would any of us know what stages the OP is performing on, if they're raised, sitting audience, etc? Until a travel packed height is stated, it's only guesses.
Old 3rd June 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have K & M stands and they will handle a lot more than 40lbs. (a collapsed pair in the carry case are 42 inches long) I learned the hard way to avoid cheap gear to hang or support audio equipment. Failures in this area can be castrophic and at the very least a major inconvenience. If you do not have the time, money or conveniece to do it right the first time: how will you find the time or money to do it over?
Hugh
Old 3rd June 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hello,

Jack...

It would help to know exactly which 10" powered speakers you're using and their weight.
Old 3rd June 2017 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllys ➑️
Jack...

It would help to know exactly which 10" powered speakers you're using and their weight.
I've got both DBR10s (23lbs) and DXR10s (32lbs). Usually travel with the DBR10s.
Old 3rd June 2017 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy15 ➑️
PVC doesn't bend, it breaks...

Have you thought about what happens when the PVC does break because of (repeated) incorrect use? Who will be responsible for any injuries or damage? Some things can be done the DIY way, some should not. I would strongly suggest to cut your losses and carry a pair of K&M speaker stands. I used to have a pair that would hold up to 50kg each and have a self-weight of only 3,5kg. Regular size, but impressive none the less.

Height wise, it's very simple. In order to reach beyond the first row you'll need to get the horns (preferable the whole cabinet) above head height. The ideal height can easily be calculated, but generally higher is better. This is independent of musical genres and has to do with simple physics.

Dutchy
Got the Samson stands and they're great. The speakers are about six feet tall mounted on the second highest setting - which feels much more stable than the highest setting. That's as high as we have ever mounted our speakers so it's perfect. Again we play background jazz at rich people's dinner parties and weddings and the like so there's no need for them to be any higher.

I have flown with them twice now. They are about 31" folded. I strapped them to the side of a small carry-on and threw the whole thing in the overhead with no problems.

I would like them to fold up a bit smaller. I just saw that Yorkville makes a pair that fold to 27", but they don't get as tall, doesn't seem worth it for 4 inches.

I'm still going to look into modifying these to make them collapse shorter. Just have to track down the right diameter of metal tubing..
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…