Quantcast
Alternative for VoiceLive Play - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Alternative for VoiceLive Play
Old 2nd March 2017
Here for the gear
Alternative for VoiceLive Play

Hello

I've been looking into the VoiceLive Play from TC Helicon, because I'm looking for a compact vocal FX processor to use live.

The VoiceLive seemed to be exactly what I was looking for, wasn't it for one thing: The equaliser and compression can only be set for the entire pedal, and not adjust per effect or preset.

I think this is a major flaw, because different effects need different EQs imo...

Is there any other option in this price range that would be a good alternative?
Because to me it seems like there's not an awful lot of competition...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Michael
Old 3rd March 2017
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
My guess is likely, not. Even TC-Helicon's flagship VoiceLive 3 can't do compression or lead vocal eq by preset (going by memory it does have some eq in the efx). Honestly, I think you're overthinking it. My guess is there are 10 other things that could be tweaked or improved with the mix, before micromanaging these things should be considered, if at all. Even then, changes could easily be detrimental. EQ and compression are things that are best left "stable" during the show to avoid monitor feedback and have the best chance of staying the same in the mix. If you're suddenly brighter, or have compression squashing your signal, you can become overbearing or nonexistent in the mix. If you're mixing yourself, you have little idea what your changes just did to the overall mix. If you're being mixed, you likely will have the engineer fixing/fighting your EQ and compression changes for the good of the mix. I hear this in guitar mixes all the time where guitar comes and goes as the player changes their patch to a dark tone and disappears into mud. I'm sure it sounded great when practicing alone, but competing with everyone one else at 100+ dB and the rules for success change. In my own band I often use multi-band compression on the the keys and guitar to tame these EQ changes.

Understand too, the EFX themselves actually do have have different EQ's set as part of the patch. ie: not all verbs and delays sound the same. The voicelive 3 has settings within the delay patch, such as "telephone, radio, low cut 1, low cut 2, etc."

I own both the voicelive play and voicelive3 and find the voicelive play a great bang for the buck. Less ability to tweak is often a good thing as you can more quickly set patches without getting into the weeds, spending hours on things that don't make much difference, especially live, and often end up not sounding as good as you pile adjustment on adjustment, and lose your reference.... It's a lot like mixing live sound that way.
Old 4th March 2017
Here for the gear
Thanks a lot for the elaborate explanation!

Makes sense of course. I might buy the Play after all. Can always hook up the separate tc pedal for Eq and compression if there is this one effect that really needs it.

Thanks again!
Old 5th March 2017

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
I have VoiceLive 2s and the rack vesions ... I would suggest that you do not need different eq for different FX. Your audience won't want you basic tone chopping and changing all the time. But if you want the odd effect EQ, the VoiceLive has a Transducer section which has filter/eq and distortions for emulating small speaker etc. It's very powerful, so if you just want some fun effects based on strong EQ, you have that option. I'm not familiar with what has been left out on the smaller versions, but it might have the same.
Old 6th March 2017
Here for the gear
Ok, thanks to the tips of you guys, I decided to buy one and see where takes me.

Thanks!
๐Ÿ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…