The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Hello from Pennsylvania!
Old 21st May 2022
Here for the gear

Hello from Pennsylvania!

Hi, everyone.

My name is Benji, and I just joined Gearspace today. I’ve looked at this forum in passing only a handful of times before, but today I decided to become a member. So before I go any further, I just want to say, thanks for having me. :D ������

Now, to start things off, I’ll just come right out and say it:

I. KNOW. ABSOLUTELY. NOTHING.

Okay, maybe that was an exaggeration. I do know a few minor (and I mean VERY minor) things, like some of the basics about surround & hi-res music formats, including DVD-Audio, SACD, DTS-CD, Dolby Surround CD, Blu-ray, etc., and I also know a tiny bit about audio encoding and the differences between codecs, like LPCM, MLP, DSD, Dolby & DTS (including their lossy and lossless variants). Oh, and I’m also pretty good at using Audacity. Yes, I know that’s lame, but these things I just mentioned are about the full extent of my knowledge with anything audio-related. Other than that, I have not even the most microscopic-sized shred of knowledge or experience in real audio engineering like most people on here do. So, needless to say, I don’t have a single bit of background in audio engineering. And by the standards of this forum, all the stuff I do know is purely inconsequential, or even just plain useless. I don’t think I’m even worthy of being called a “beginner” or a “newbie”. I’d say I’m below those terms - that’s how much of a novice I am, lol.

Speaking of those surround formats…….even though I unfortunately don’t own a surround sound system (or ANY system, for that matter), I am still a huge fan of multi channel music. I have a decent-sized collection of 5.1 albums on both DVD-Video and DVD-Audio, as well as a Dolby Atmos album on Blu-ray. Funny thing is, though, my DVD / VCR combo (yes, I’m the only person left on Earth who still has one of those) can’t play DVD-Audio, just DVD-Video. And my Blu-ray player? For one thing, it’s just a portable machine, and even that can’t play DVD-Audio, either!

I’m pathetic, I know.

However, despite my lack of knowledge and experience with audio engineering, and despite the fact that I don’t own any gear or software, music & audio production (especially when it involves surround) is honestly something that I am incredibly fascinated with and interested in. I’m super eager to learn more about it, and it’s something I’d eventually like to pursue as a job or career someday.

Hence my decision to join Gearspace. I look forward to getting to know everyone on here, and to hopefully increase my knowledge of everything from DAWs to equipment, from mixing to mastering, and everything else there is to know about the audio universe.

Once again, thanks for letting me be a part of this great community. And by the way, sorry this intro was so long. Once I start talking, I can’t stop. XD ������

Cheers! ✌️
Old 21st May 2022
Greetings Octane Twisted

Welcome to Gearspace!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…