Quantcast
Your movie reviews - Page 39 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Your movie reviews
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years

I enjoyed the heck out of Don't Look Up. It's about the discovery of a comet headed toward Earth, destined to wipe out all life on the planet. Sounds like a sci-fi disaster film, but it's really a dramedy about the way that the governments, the media, and businesses react to the news of impending doom. Basically, if you've been watching the news for the last couple years, this will seem very familiar as it's a scathing critique of modern society. Thought-provoking, hilarious, and extremely well-acted by the huge ensemble cast.

Also this weekend, my wife conned me into watching...

My wife really had to turn up the guilt to make me watch Galavant with her, as it's a musical show revolving around the middle ages, two things I don't generally get into, but there's a twist in all of this. Galavant is about your typical sword and sorcery hero who goes to rescue his girlfriend after she's kidnapped and forced to marry the king. The problem is that when he's got her in his arms, she basically tells him that she'd rather be rich and powerful than be in love, so she opts to stay with the king. It's SOOO funny! And the music was written by the people behind Beauty and The Beast's songs, so they're extremely high quality, and the jokes poke fun at the show. It was comedy gold. I was about this close to watching the show over again instead of watching a movie last night. I may still start the show over again because it's super short but extremely high-quality.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Sadly I am turning in to a curmudgeon in my old age. I watched "Don't Look Up" and loved it for about 30 minutes and then the joke lost its appeal for me. I also got asnnoyed at the soundtrack which was at times way too soft and at other times way too loud. I did like the performances.
I watched The Shallows a few nights ago.

Brilliant film and very well done!👍

Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years

Scary Stories to Tell In The Dark is one I'm still on the fence about how I feel about it. It's not bad, it's just not very good, either. I think a lot of it is that Guillermo Del Toro's got his name attached to it, so I expected something with a bit more depth. It's a good popcorn film, but nothing more. Also being based on a series of children's books, it's surprisingly not very kid-friendly. It's kinda gory and the language is a bit on the strong side. I can't help but think about the first Goosebumps movie and how it was scary, but not over the top, and still a memorable and fun movie. If you're in the mood for some light horror with a memorable story, I'd opt for Goosebumps instead. I think that one's going to end up being a classic one day while Scary Stories is going to be forgotten.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
500 Days of Summer

Not much of a rom-com fan, so not surprising I missed this in 2009.

This one has has some dark places it explores, and the good guy doesn't always win.

Gives a good look at that 1st year you meet someone, and wonder if they are a good match, or batshit crazy.

I'm a fan of Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and Zooey Deschanel so figured I'd take them for a spin. Glad I did.

Solid B.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp ➡️

Scary Stories to Tell In The Dark is one I'm still on the fence about how I feel about it. It's not bad, it's just not very good, either. I think a lot of it is that Guillermo Del Toro's got his name attached to it, so I expected something with a bit more depth. It's a good popcorn film, but nothing more. Also being based on a series of children's books, it's surprisingly not very kid-friendly. It's kinda gory and the language is a bit on the strong side. I can't help but think about the first Goosebumps movie and how it was scary, but not over the top, and still a memorable and fun movie. If you're in the mood for some light horror with a memorable story, I'd opt for Goosebumps instead. I think that one's going to end up being a classic one day while Scary Stories is going to be forgotten.
I haven't seen that one yet but have enjoyed other Guillermo Del Toro films.������
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama ➡️
500 Days of Summer
Thanks for recommending this. I've been in the mood for this style of film, but haven't known where to start, so this is going on my short list. Much less comedy than drama, but your description reminds me of movies like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Marriage Story, both very much worth watching as they're tragic tales of a relationships coming apart and living with the wreckage.

Also, when browsing Netflix, I found there's a new movie (I'm too lazy to Google the name) about the guy that wrote the script for Rent and his own troubled lovelife at the time that inspired the play. I feel like Andrew Garfield doesn't get enough love, so that's on my list as well.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Also, when browsing Netflix, I found there's a new movie (I'm too lazy to Google the name) about the guy that wrote the script for Rent and his own troubled lovelife at the time that inspired the play. I feel like Andrew Garfield doesn't get enough love, so that's on my list as well.
Wow. Weird world.

What an unfair ending for that writer.

It's called Tick, Tick… Boom

Jonathan Larson died at his home in the early morning of January 25, 1996, the day of Rent's first Off-Broadway preview performance. He suffered an aortic dissection, believed to have been caused by undiagnosed Marfan syndrome.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
500 Days of Summer
I just finished it. I enjoyed the characters and the plot itself. The nonlinear storyline was very creative in the way you kind of get a picture of everything all at once. Thanks again for recommending it!
iFi audio

Quote:

I enjoyed the heck out of Don't Look Up. It's about the discovery of a comet headed toward Earth, destined to wipe out all life on the planet. Sounds like a sci-fi disaster film, but it's really a dramedy about the way that the governments, the media, and businesses react to the news of impending doom. Basically, if you've been watching the news for the last couple years, this will seem very familiar as it's a scathing critique of modern society. Thought-provoking, hilarious, and extremely well-acted by the huge ensemble cast.

Also this weekend, my wife conned me into watching...

My wife really had to turn up the guilt to make me watch Galavant with her, as it's a musical show revolving around the middle ages, two things I don't generally get into, but there's a twist in all of this. Galavant is about your typical sword and sorcery hero who goes to rescue his girlfriend after she's kidnapped and forced to marry the king. The problem is that when he's got her in his arms, she basically tells him that she'd rather be rich and powerful than be in love, so she opts to stay with the king. It's SOOO funny! And the music was written by the people behind Beauty and The Beast's songs, so they're extremely high quality, and the jokes poke fun at the show. It was comedy gold. I was about this close to watching the show over again instead of watching a movie last night. I may still start the show over again because it's super short but extremely high-quality.
Both fantastic productions. I love the underwritten themes of satire in both, maybe more apparent in Don't Look Up. I loved how they used the cast in that satire as well. I felt each role was very well played out.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by iFi audio ➡️
Both fantastic productions. I love the underwritten themes of satire in both, maybe more apparent in Don't Look Up. I loved how they used the cast in that satire as well. I felt each role was very well played out.
I've got a friend that teaches feminist studies and for some reason loves Cate Blanchett. The whole time I was watching "Don't Look Up", I was thinking "Oh no, my friend is totally not going to like this at all." It wasn't a typical role for her, and I thought she played it very well.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I just 500 Days of Summer. I enjoyed the characters and the plot itself. The nonlinear storyline was very creative in the way you kind of get a picture of everything all at once. Thanks again for recommending it!
I've gotta say, this is a movie that really sticks with you. Two days later, and I'm still contemplating the themes. I think what the character learns in the end (and this isn't a spoiler because it's really kind of open-ended) is that if he'd just been more assertive from the beginning, he could have saved himself a lot of heartache. People want to assign Summer the role of bad guy, but she wasn't at all. She was always clear with her intentions, but Tom was just so happy to have somebody pay attention to him that he settled for less than what he really wanted, just like he did in his daily life. I think that the fact that he never comes out and says why he never pursued his dream job even when asked point blank is telling. It was a rough relationship, but I think that was the only way he was going to learn and grow as a person.

Sorry for the rant, I just loved this movie and have nobody to discuss it with.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I've gotta say, this is a movie that really sticks with you. Two days later, and I'm still contemplating the themes. I think what the character learns in the end (and this isn't a spoiler because it's really kind of open-ended) is that if he'd just been more assertive from the beginning, he could have saved himself a lot of heartache. People want to assign Summer the role of bad guy, but she wasn't at all. She was always clear with her intentions, but Tom was just so happy to have somebody pay attention to him that he settled for less than what he really wanted, just like he did in his daily life. I think that the fact that he never comes out and says why he never pursued his dream job even when asked point blank is telling. It was a rough relationship, but I think that was the only way he was going to learn and grow as a person.

Sorry for the rant, I just loved this movie and have nobody to discuss it with.
Yes...and if he was going to learn another lessen (besides being more assertive) ---it's that people string other people along all the time.

She did cross the line, inviting him to an engagement party.

I think she was well aware he still had feelings for her.

For some reason, humans like to do that. I have seen it in my own life.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

old henry was good, not great. but very watchable if you like westerns
I just finished this one. Terminus

I'd seen it many years ago and had forgotten how much I enjoyed it. A Sci-Fi film that had a very original theme. I recommend it if you enjoy Sci-Fi.

Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I tried watching "Alias Grace" on Netflix. Good acting but once again, slow - way too slow for this feller and the sound track was often too soft ot too loud and that pisses me off no end. I made it halfway through the second episode and shut it off - done. Too bad as it seemed like an interesting story.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I'm currently watching Jurassic Park. Its a great movie. I am using my apple airpods pro headset to watch because currently I am on work and its very useful for handle conference calls.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yes...and if he was going to learn another lessen (besides being more assertive) ---it's that people string other people along all the time.

She did cross the line, inviting him to an engagement party.

I think she was well aware he still had feelings for her.

For some reason, humans like to do that. I have seen it in my own life.
I had a whole tirade defending her typed out, but toward the end I realized that it only works through contradiction. As much as I want to ally myself with the feminist view of this movie, you're absolutely right. Summer could have at the absolute bare minimum told Tom that she was seeing somebody when she invited him to the party and in that one flaw alone, it's apparent that she was either oblivious to a fault (not likely considering how intelligent she was) or she was being cruel.

Thank you again for recommending the movie and for giving me even more to think about when reassessing it. My only regret is not having seen it sooner.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru ➡️
I just finished this one. Terminus
"Classic sci-fi", and it's free on YouTube? I might be naughty and watch this while doing busy work today.
Quote:
"Classic sci-fi", and it's free on YouTube? I might be naughty and watch this while doing busy work today.
I also watched Alien Code on YouTube. A ton of ads but you can skip them after 5 seconds. Anyway, this one is also worth a watch!

Here's the trailer for it:

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just watched Alien Code on Youtube... interesting take on XtraDimensionals.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Brazen...

I was having a slow day so surfed Netflix for something to watch. I came up with Brazen.

OMG - this should never have been made. Predictable, cliched, shallow, stupid, terrible characters, terrible acting, even worse, the dialog. A complete waste of time.

Advice...

Run Forrest Run....
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
I found this factoid about Don't Look Up to be quite fascinating and insightful.

Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years

So it turns out that Mike Flanagan (the guy behind Midnight Mass, The Haunting of Hill House, and The Haunting of Bly Manor) made a few movies before getting scooped up by Netflix and making these awesome horror/drama hybrids. I'm on a quest to see them all, so I started with Before I Wake since it's on Netflix. This is a pretty interesting tale of a boy that gets fosters by a family that just lost their son. The boy has a unique gift though in that the things he dreams about become real, but only until he wakes up. As far as horror elements, it's more mesmerizing than scary for the most part until the nightmares start. For emotional content, it's a little heartbreaking when they discover why his nightmares are so intense. It doesn't quite pack the same punch to the gut that Midnight Mass and Hill House did, though. All in all, it's good, but not great. If you're a huge fan of Flanagan's shows, it's worth the watch, but for casual horror and drama fans, I'd look elsewhere.
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
iFi audio

Just caught "Hail, Caesar!" a newer Coen brothers flick. Anyone seen it? I loved the satirical idea of ripping the filmmaking process in its GOlden Age and, in a way, likening some of the high brow artistry to any other business running a tight ship. It's hard to articulate points that other reviews and critics haven't, although I loved the absurdity and the immersion factor that made the run time go by quickly and the funnier dead pan scenes hit a deeper place than any other raunchy comedy. (Editted for formatting)
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…