Old 1st September 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
RCA 77d vs RCA 77dx on vocals

Yo Slutz,

i am considering buying a RCA 77d.
I have a decent offer in good shape.

Read everything i found on the web.

I want to use it also and especially on Vocals for that souly al green, amy winehouse vibe.
I know they used 77s, too.
But i often read it was the 77dx.

I know there is a little level difference and other minor differences between the d and dx.

However i am in particular interested how these two models perform differently on vocals?

Will i experience a let down with the d for vocals and only the dx shines on vocal recordings?

I know 50 years and a wide production variety makes clear statements about that issue hard... however, maybe i am lucky and someone has first hand experience, also in comparing them on vocals...

Cheerio from Berlin

Chris
Old 2nd September 2014
Les
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hi Chris

I don't think you'll find much audible difference in the D and DX other than
the latter's 4dB more output.

There can be considerable difference between one mic and the next with the same model though.

I'd pick the DX as a recording tool just because of the greater output.

The D is rarer and might fetch higher prices from collectors.

We've studied all the 77s and KUs a great deal because we have come out with a modern version, the POLYRIBBON.
Old 2nd September 2014
Lives for gear

24 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Mics look very interesting Les. I've been wondering when you would roll something out.
Old 2nd September 2014
Les
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks, Doug.
Old 2nd September 2014
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
I think Ds sound a bit smoother.
Old 3rd September 2014
Les
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hi Bob.

Both mics had a huge 5K peak in the more omni settings that gave a particular character, in addition to the rapid rolloff above 9K. We found the reason for that
and corrected it, so ours don't have that particular coloration.

We saw a lot of variation though.

My feeling is that if you want a 77 vibe, best way to get it is with a 77.

The 77 A,B, and C and KU2 used a double ribbon so had a different sound.

D, DX, and KU3 have the single ribbon with inertance leak shunted with the
labyrinth.

I'm a big Motown fan. I'd be interested in what you used the 77s for there.

Horns?
Old 3rd September 2014
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
In the old days bass drums. For about four years we used all KM86s and then each studio got one DX that typically got used for trombone.
Old 16th October 2017
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les ➑️
There can be considerable difference between one mic and the next with the same model though.
.[/I]
Yes agree 100%. I own 10 RCA 77s. 5 77Ds and 5 77DX. I can tell you with clear conscience that the only way you can compare one 77 against another is only when you set the 77's output impedance to match the input impedance to the mic pre (Royer says 4-5 times) and most importantly only way to compare, is to replace both ribbon as a baseline. Ribbon thickness, how old, dirty and saggy the ribbon, all affects the rounds.
Old 31st October 2017 | Show parent
RTG
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
So, after you've done all the necessarily maintenance,
how do they compare?
Quote:
Originally Posted by drybones ➑️
Yes agree 100%. I own 10 RCA 77s. 5 77Ds and 5 77DX. I can tell you with clear conscience that the only way you can compare one 77 against another is only when you set the 77's output impedance to match the input impedance to the mic pre (Royer says 4-5 times) and most importantly only way to compare, is to replace both ribbon as a baseline. Ribbon thickness, how old, dirty and saggy the ribbon, all affects the rounds.
Old 31st October 2017
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Never cared for any 77 on vocals....
Old 31st October 2017 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTG ➑️
So, after you've done all the necessarily maintenance,
how do they compare?
Excellent question. Keep in mine this is my own perspective, strictly subjective. I am just very lucky to be
close to Mr Clarence Kane of ENAK. I sit at the feet of a master. But with high gain micpres like AEA, Great River and True Systems (Ribbon version), all of which I own, I find I like the D over the DX. The DX, given its more powerful magnet, can distort. But please, this could have been situational. They both sound silky smooth, something I love with 77s vs 44s. The 44 has a much bigger ribbon, so it takes more acoustical energy to move it. I have been using 77s as drum overheads and am very happy. Maybe time for an AEA R88 stereo ribbon. But I digress, this thread is about vocals. Actually, my favorite vocal micpre with ribbons is the Ampex 351. I have two. Awesome.....
Old 31st October 2017
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Old 10th April 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years

I think I just saw one on vocals here in this IDK video and it brought me to this thread trying to research. Cheers.
Old 11th April 2021
Gear Guru

What's the difference, between the two?
Why 77dx minus 77d = x.
Chris
Old 11th April 2021 | Show parent
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 ➑️
What's the difference, between the two?
Why 77dx minus 77d = x.
Chris
The DX has a higher output level so it could be used as a television boom mike. It has a diamond-shaped whatchamacallet around the pattern switch like the one in the Elvis picture.
Old 11th April 2021
Gear Guru

The 77 was the first ribbon microphone, I ever saw in person. An older friend had worked for NBC TV, for over 30 years, in the Sound Editing department.
They gave him a mint one, as a retirement present. This must've been around the mid 80's. (who wanted those things that much then? )

I read Bones Howe, as saying it was his favorite vocal mic-ever. Just switch on a classic Mamas & Papas cut!
Chris
Old 11th April 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

24 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson ➑️
The DX has a higher output level so it could be used as a television boom mike. It has a diamond-shaped whatchamacallet around the pattern switch like the one in the Elvis picture.
I recall the DX is 4dB hotter.

RCA stuck an 'X' on the end of many things that had slight variations from the first design, originally everything that pre-dated the VU standard, for example, got an 'X' tacked on the name when the VU option came available. 96-A became 96-AX, etc. A larger change would've gotten the 'D' changed to 'E' on the 77.
Old 11th April 2021
Gear Guru

My heart belongs to the 44 though.
Chris
πŸ“ Reply