The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Amphion... Beautiful
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JClay ➡️
Thanks for the response. Yes, I agree that the MM45 have a lot of bass, so I probably need more time to adapt.

I had a hunch about the back wall, because that was the case with the One15s in my old space. Wasn't sure if that was also applicable to the Two18s, but will try moving them back towards the wall tonight. They are currently free-standing about 1'8" from the back wall, on the monitor platforms of my Buso Audio desk.
No problem.
If you can, try them on stands behind the desk. Chances are that will clear up the midrange while giving you a better bass response at the same time. It made a huge difference for me.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by momomel ➡️
Too loud, too long? I monitor very quietly 95% of the time.
I Just replaced a tweeter in my 2-18! Not the easiest to replace but got it done. May I ask where you got the part?
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by VPrel ➡️
No problem.
If you can, try them on stands behind the desk. Chances are that will clear up the midrange while giving you a better bass response at the same time. It made a huge difference for me.
Happy to report that this helped tremendously. Thank you!

They are positioned on stands as close to the back wall as possible before touching, spaced roughly 64" apart. I had them at 60", and the additional 4" made a significant different in all areas: balance, sound stage, and clarity. Just locked in with the room at that spacing.

More acoustic treatment on the way, which should help further.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JClay ➡️
Happy to report that this helped tremendously. Thank you!

They are positioned on stands as close to the back wall as possible before touching, spaced roughly 64" apart. I had them at 60", and the additional 4" made a significant different in all areas: balance, sound stage, and clarity. Just locked in with the room at that spacing.

More acoustic treatment on the way, which should help further.
Awesome!
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homunculus ➡️
Got my pair a few days ago. I had never used monitors up to now, more than 10 years of making music. I used headphones all the time. Even used high end Audeze MM500 which I sold to fund these monitors and holy hell does this sound so freaking good. No headphone can compare to this. And these are for mixing?! I cant even imagine what audiophile speakers would even sound like. This is the most luxurious noise Ive ever heard. And Im currently in an untreated room! Hearing 24k Magic which I consider an amazing mix on these monitors are just mind blowing. I feel my love for producing and mixing has been re-invigorated. So happy to have these monitors! Im powering them up with Jim Williams modded Adcom 545. Now will be treating the room. Awaiting a pair of basstraps from GIK but will be buying little by little. Honestly just grateful for these forums that have so much info, sometimes its overwhelming but at least you can take your time to research and figure out the best solution for you.
How would you compare the MM-500 to the Amphions tuning? Would you say its comparable to mix with both?
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Had a bit of a scare today with my right Two18's tweeter suddenly deciding to just stop working. Did all the usual on/offs, cable swaps, etc. and nothing worked. Ended up working on my HD800S instead all day until I could bring it over to ProAudioLA tomorrow for a tweeter replacement. Decided to check a mix on them anyways tonight in mono and panned only to the left, but somehow everything was working perfectly fine again. I'm thrilled that I don't have to go without them for a bit, but I'm also quite concerned because if it randomly died and randomly decided to work again, chances are it'll happen again.

Has anyone else ever had this happen? I'm running them through a JW-modded Adcom 545 left on 24/7 and I don't listen louder than 80dba (well once I tested at 85dba when I was trying out my new Pro17 earplugs, but that was months ago and for a max of 15 minutes).
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by john117 ➡️
How would you compare the MM-500 to the Amphions tuning? Would you say its comparable to mix with both?
I use two18 and mm-500 and find them very compatible. I don't use any eq/tuning on 500 - just like them as they are
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Not remotely comparable. The Amphions are so much better for mix translation. My mixes were translating better within just a week of using the amphions with minimum room treatment compared to months of using the MM-500. With the MM-500 kick and bass is a guessing game and has very shouty mids.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
i know you did not ask me, but i´ve had one15 for years now, and even though i´ve tried other (sometimes much more expensive) options, i´ve returned to my trusty one15 in which i´ve found my work translates much better. And since november i got an mm500 pair, and i´m really using them for remote mixing and editing, paired with a mojo2 DAC-Headhpone Amp (i´m using it´s amazingly transparent eq ) and they have become and indispensable tool for me
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawson. ➡️
Had a bit of a scare today with my right Two18's tweeter suddenly deciding to just stop working. Did all the usual on/offs, cable swaps, etc. and nothing worked. Ended up working on my HD800S instead all day until I could bring it over to ProAudioLA tomorrow for a tweeter replacement. Decided to check a mix on them anyways tonight in mono and panned only to the left, but somehow everything was working perfectly fine again. I'm thrilled that I don't have to go without them for a bit, but I'm also quite concerned because if it randomly died and randomly decided to work again, chances are it'll happen again.

Has anyone else ever had this happen? I'm running them through a JW-modded Adcom 545 left on 24/7 and I don't listen louder than 80dba (well once I tested at 85dba when I was trying out my new Pro17 earplugs, but that was months ago and for a max of 15 minutes).
I recently changed a tweeter out! It stopped working and stayed stopped!
I thought it might be the crossover because I heard some audio coming out of the tweeter but not what it should have been! Anyway changed the twet and all good now! Keep us posted!
Gear Head
Has anyone tried both the FlexBase and the BaseTwo25 in comparison? I imagine the FlexBase will be more than enough for me, but I’m very tempted to just go end game and save up the extra $4k for BaseTwo25. They’d be going under a pair of One18’s. I’ve heard the BaseTwo and know how impressive that is, so it’s just the FlexBase that’s the unknown quantity here. Ultimately I’d aim to test in my own room, but curious about some other folk’s experiences.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georges ➡️
Has anyone tried both the FlexBase and the BaseTwo25 in comparison? I imagine the FlexBase will be more than enough for me, but I’m very tempted to just go end game and save up the extra $4k for BaseTwo25. They’d be going under a pair of One18’s. I’ve heard the BaseTwo and know how impressive that is, so it’s just the FlexBase that’s the unknown quantity here. Ultimately I’d aim to test in my own room, but curious about some other folk’s experiences.
I have not but what I can tell you is that there's something very nice about listening to a system with big stereo woofers.
My speakers at home have 15" bass drivers in them and you can defenitely tell that the low end sounds more spacious.
So yeah, personally I'd go with the BaseTwo25.
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by matskull ➡️
I have not but what I can tell you is that there's something very nice about listening to a system with big stereo woofers.
My speakers at home have 15" bass drivers in them and you can defenitely tell that the low end sounds more spacious.
So yeah, personally I'd go with the BaseTwo25.
Yea, I've heard the BaseTwo in person, and it was incredible. It's my understanding that the FlexBase also operates in a "stereo" capacity, despite being a single unit, so I'm actually pretty curious to hear it in action. I imagine phase alignment and positioning won't be as effortless as simply placing a unit under each speaker, but even the used rates on the BaseTwo are a bit of a hard pill for me to swallow.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdd17 ➡️
I recently changed a tweeter out! It stopped working and stayed stopped!
I thought it might be the crossover because I heard some audio coming out of the tweeter but not what it should have been! Anyway changed the twet and all good now! Keep us posted!
Well, it stopped working again yesterday and stayed off. Took them up to ProAudioLA for a tweeter change, and as of about ~15 minutes of listening, so far so good. They mentioned it might be a crossover issue as the tweeter was on/off, but the only way to tell would be to replace the tweeter and see if more problems arise. I have my fingers crossed this is the fix!

They also mentioned it may have been caused by an amp issue due to the fact that the Two18s are 200W monitors and my JW Adcom mod is only 150W. I'm wondering if I should just buy the Amp700 to be safe? EDIT: I just checked and Two18s were originally rated 50-200W and Amphion has updated the spec sheet to say 100-350W. Either way, my 150W amp fits in their guidelines.

Also, WOW fresh tweeters are crispy. They sound a bit more like Genelecs right now, and the next 50-100 hours or so will be interesting. Assuming that they don't stop working again, at least.

Last edited by Lawson.; 2 weeks ago at 12:45 AM.. Reason: added wattage ratings
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yea, I've heard the BaseTwo in person, and it was incredible. It's my understanding that the FlexBase also operates in a "stereo" capacity, despite being a single unit, so I'm actually pretty curious to hear it in action. I imagine phase alignment and positioning won't be as effortless as simply placing a unit under each speaker, but even the used rates on the BaseTwo are a bit of a hard pill for me to swallow.
Yes it is quite a bit of money. I'd have a pair myself otherwise but I prefered investing in my home system since I don't work much these days.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Well, it stopped working again yesterday and stayed off. Took them up to ProAudioLA for a tweeter change, and as of about ~15 minutes of listening, so far so good. They mentioned it might be a crossover issue as the tweeter was on/off, but the only way to tell would be to replace the tweeter and see if more problems arise. I have my fingers crossed this is the fix!

They also mentioned it may have been caused by an amp issue due to the fact that the Two18s are 200W monitors and my JW Adcom mod is only 150W. I'm wondering if I should just buy the Amp700 to be safe? EDIT: I just checked and Two18s were originally rated 50-200W and Amphion has updated the spec sheet to say 100-350W. Either way, my 150W amp fits in their guidelines.

Also, WOW fresh tweeters are crispy. They sound a bit more like Genelecs right now, and the next 50-100 hours or so will be interesting. Assuming that they don't stop working again, at least.
So far so good on my tweet replacement! The amp 700 sounds really good so it might be a good road for you to consider! I think its a step up from the 500 for the 2-18's for sure!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I haven’t heard or tried the baseTwo sub but I have the flexbase running with my one15s. I love it. Gives such a full image and the adjustable crossover and stereo spread is so useful. I will say I don’t personally use it mix - I prefer to work with the limited picture of the one15s and then check later with the sub. It’s also great for production and for getting people excited when tracking.
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwolf ➡️
I haven’t heard or tried the baseTwo sub but I have the flexbase running with my one15s. I love it. Gives such a full image and the adjustable crossover and stereo spread is so useful. I will say I don’t personally use it mix - I prefer to work with the limited picture of the one15s and then check later with the sub. It’s also great for production and for getting people excited when tracking.
Yea, that’s another reason I was thinking Flex over BaseTwo. I too tend to prefer doing the bulk of a mix bandwidth-limited to be more focused in on the mids, and to get the upper tonality of the bass elements correct first. Then I’ll check full range to make sure nothing crazy is sneaking by below 40hz. You can often tell pretty easily if you’re too hot in the lowest octaves on the One18’s, you’ll hear the speaker working too hard to reproduce those notes and it’ll audibly interfere with the cleanliness of the low end within its usable frequency range. I imagine I’d use a foot switch to bypass the Flex quite often.

How do you find the stereo spread feature? Seems a bit odd to have stereo it a single unit sat in between two speakers like a mono sub would often be. Does it really come across as full range stereo?
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Yea, that’s another reason I was thinking Flex over BaseTwo. I too tend to prefer doing the bulk of a mix bandwidth-limited to be more focused in on the mids, and to get the upper tonality of the bass elements correct first. Then I’ll check full range to make sure nothing crazy is sneaking by below 40hz. You can often tell pretty easily if you’re too hot in the lowest octaves on the One18’s, you’ll hear the speaker working too hard to reproduce those notes and it’ll audibly interfere with the cleanliness of the low end within its usable frequency range. I imagine I’d use a foot switch to bypass the Flex quite often.

How do you find the stereo spread feature? Seems a bit odd to have stereo it a single unit sat in between two speakers like a mono sub would often be. Does it really come across as full range stereo?
Yes, but subtly so. It’s kind of a weird setup with the two speakers facing perpendicular to the mix position but it works. You definitely hear the richness of the stereo field if you use extreme settings (not necessarily volume wise, but cranking the crossover up to 270 hz and fully cranked on the stereo setting). Honestly there’s not a setting that sounds bad to me. I’m frequently morphing b/w more conservative settings (crossover at 85, mono spread) through the above mentioned more extreme.

One thing to consider, and it may be mostly related to my “control room” (a basement with 7’ ceilings, 10-12” of rock wool stuffed in the joist cavities, finished with acoustic fabric — essentially a dead room), but the sub makes things sound dull and boomy everywhere else in the room except for my mix position. No skin off my back but I find I need to either do artist “critical evaluation playback” on my HR824s in the live room or let the artist sit in my chair. Or use headphones. Hasn’t really been an issue but I’ve been surprised by how boomy and muddy things sound when I listen on the large sofa where people chill 90% of the time. And this isn’t nearly as pronounced when the flexbase isn’t engaged.

If you’re ever in Portland, Or. feel free to come over and check it out!
Old 19 hours ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Rouge amps

What's the consensus nowadays regarding the Rouge amps vs the Amphion amps? Few years ago they seemed to be "the same but better and cheaper"
Old 18 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by machinated ➡️
Just had a tweeter die for the 2nd time on the same One 15 speaker. The other speaker has no issues, so now I'm wondering if it going is being caused by something other than bad luck.

Has anyone had this issue before?
slight update to this.

spoke to the store I bought from, repeatedly made clear that I've had the exact same issue with this tweeter (distorting around 1k before finally giving up). Was told that replacing the tweeter would solve it and that it cant really be anything else than a tweeter just dying. Had it replaced, worked well for a couple of days before the distortion crept back in.

Now its just died again. Frustrating when you can see this coming a mile off, try to do everything to avoid it etc and then you're still back at square one.

Using an Amphion Amp 100, never had any issues with the other speaker (or ever blown any other tweeters in my life).
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by machinated ➡️
slight update to this.

spoke to the store I bought from, repeatedly made clear that I've had the exact same issue with this tweeter (distorting around 1k before finally giving up). Was told that replacing the tweeter would solve it and that it cant really be anything else than a tweeter just dying. Had it replaced, worked well for a couple of days before the distortion crept back in.

Now its just died again. Frustrating when you can see this coming a mile off, try to do everything to avoid it etc and then you're still back at square one.

Using an Amphion Amp 100, never had any issues with the other speaker (or ever blown any other tweeters in my life).
Could be that you have had the bad luck of getting a bum capacitor in the crossover. The high pass filter probably has a capacitor in series with the tweeter, and if that is shorted your tweeter is receiving too much level right below the 1.6 kHz XO (in other words the 1k region!). If the filter was 12 dB/oct nominally it would act as 6 dB/oct with a shorted cap.

Since the tweeters are already stretched downward in frequency a bit in this design a faulty filter would finnish tweeters on a regular basis.

I suggest, when you replace the tweeter again, to place a measurement microphone right in front of the tweeter (like 1 cm) and measure the frequency response for both speakers so that you can compare the response above about 800 Hz. That should reveal if the filters are different.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oskari J. ➡️
Could be that you have had the bad luck of getting a bum capacitor in the crossover. The high pass filter probably has a capacitor in series with the tweeter, and if that is shorted your tweeter is receiving too much level right below the 1.6 kHz XO (in other words the 1k region!). If the filter was 12 dB/oct nominally it would act as 6 dB/oct with a shorted cap.

Since the tweeters are already stretched downward in frequency a bit in this design a faulty filter would finnish tweeters on a regular basis.

I suggest, when you replace the tweeter again, to place a measurement microphone right in front of the tweeter (like 1 cm) and measure the frequency response for both speakers so that you can compare the response above about 800 Hz. That should reveal if the filters are different.
Thanks! This seems a very likely cause to me. The store said this time they'd like to spend a bit longer with the speaker, so I'll again reiterate that I'd like them to check the crossover circuit. Presumably it should be easy enough for them to measure what value the capacitor is reading and whether its drifted (provided its accessible, its been a while since I've seen inside the Amphions).

Slightly curious to know what brand of capacitors they use, and whether its worth having my other speaker checked too. Never had any issues with that one, but if the caps are prone to failure, maybe its worth having them match with something high quality with the same brand/spec/tolerance (and ideally match close in value). Guessing thats overkill and its just bad luck with something drifting out of spec (which can happen and is nobodies fault).
Old 17 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHstudi00 ➡️
What's the consensus nowadays regarding the Rouge amps vs the Amphion amps? Few years ago they seemed to be "the same but better and cheaper"
I have never compared them side by side, but it's hard to believe there is any difference that we can hear between Rouge (Hypex) and Amphion. They are both A Straight Wire With Gain.

If you have a decent DIY skill, you don't even have to buy Rouge. Just get Hypex modules for a few hundred bucks.
Old 15 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
With regard to Amphion & Hypex NCore amps : Amphion... Beautiful

I eventually purchased a single Anaview card to replace my faulty one, but I could definitely work with the NC400 if needed (I'd just have to learn it).
As far as I remember, Rouge has some AMS0100 based amps, which are basically Amp100 in disguise.
Old 13 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Have not posted here in a minute . Still using Amphion’s and this is like going on 8 years. I have been using a Jim Williams modified Adcom 545 the whole time. I have used this Amp on One 18’s for years One 15’s and currently on Two 15’s.

The Amp is underrated power output wise . This came straight out of Jim Williams mouth. It puts out a lot more than the factory spec. I do not think it’s the amp, imo.

Amphion’s blowing tweeters is somewhat of a known factor as well. I am not dissing but I think people tend to drive them hard because the output is not as loud as other manufacturers. As well as the fact that for the first couple of years of production there was no protection circuit. I have been told there is now. I have never blown a tweeter( crosses fingers).

Much like others have said and what I have noticed with these monitors falls in line and I stated that hundreds of pages back the One18 is going to give you a bit more laid back feel and just overall complete top to bottom feeling.

One15’s are definitely more up front in your face and put you in the middle of things, for close in mixing it’s hard to beat them. Oh and they do deliver decipherable bottom end . Oh and ya I do a lot of Electronic music. and dance oriented stuff.

Now with that said this is not kick you in the gut bass . It’s their thought. I actually bought a set of Barefoots for that and loved that aspect of them alongside my One15’s . In the end I sold my Barefoots though because I could not get over the fact that they were scooped in the low mids to the point of a ? Like I can’t hear what’s going on there compared to the Amphion when switching back and forth. Bought the Barefoots for playback and composition.

End story Barefoots gone Amphion’s still here. My ideal setup would be to get a Bassflex to go with my One15’s.

Jury has not decided on the Two15’s some love them some claim they are more boxy , darker , closed in of the line. I originally found the Two15’s could rock synths and bass freq’s pretty damn good.
So I got a set and set my One15’s aside for a minute. Not selling them!

Oh and if anyone has one side go out completely using the Adcom amp the left right outputs are fused and you can occasionally bow this fuses as they are old school little wire filament tube fuses. I have had these blow on me as they do age.
It’s really easy to remove the top cover and replace them.

Last edited by Dave_Ionic; 13 hours ago at 10:33 PM.. Reason: grammatical
Old 13 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Yup, I have shorted and bIown the fuse on one side of my 545. And yup, sure has a Iorra Iorra current that thing. Domineers cones reaI good. And Amphion drivers want domineering. Sure as shit never being soId. I Iove that amp.
📝 Reply