The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Amphion... Beautiful
Old 9th November 2022 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperschool ➡️
@ VPrel
I love that you went for over 10 years without posting at all on GS but are now back with us!
Also that 45% of all your posts have been in this Amphion thread
Hah! Yeah, and I’ve been lurking here for far longer than that! But I’ve had time to get back in to recording a bit more lately than previous years and also moved to a house where I’ve had the opportunity to build a dedicated treated studio room, which of course contributes to the renewed interest in the subject. And also, the Amphion monitors has been a revelation. I’ve heard higher end Genelecs, Dynaudios and the likes before and I’ve owned a bunch of different monitors over the years but nothing close to these. They’re pretty easy to get excited about.
Old 17th November 2022 | Show parent
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by VPrel ➡️
Hah! Yeah, and I’ve been lurking here for far longer than that! But I’ve had time to get back in to recording a bit more lately than previous years and also moved to a house where I’ve had the opportunity to build a dedicated treated studio room, which of course contributes to the renewed interest in the subject. And also, the Amphion monitors has been a revelation. I’ve heard higher end Genelecs, Dynaudios and the likes before and I’ve owned a bunch of different monitors over the years but nothing close to these. They’re pretty easy to get excited about.
Glad to hear you're someone who's circled back around to a passion. It can be hard to keep those going. Also agree with you on how these are easy to get excited about. Was fairly skeptical of this whole thread before. Originally suspected there was a fair amount of self-fulfilling groupthink around here, but these really do inspire you to get back to work.

There's an intangible thing with them I hadn't gotten previously. With my last speakers (Barefoot), I got good to great mixes, but sometimes I'd want to do a "vibe" reference, and palette cleanse with some favorite records, say a 90s grunge era track, or 60s/70s/80s classics. When I would do that on the Barefoots, the presentation didn't always feel musical. Some older favs were now damn near unlistenable. I could only focus on technical things rather than delivery and emotion. Records I thought I knew in and out often became foreign. I could see every tree in 4K, but not always the forest. I would lose track of artistic intent more often than I ever had before, or would ever care to admit. I didn't believe speakers could, or should, have that much impact on your basic perception of a song, but they really can.

The difference with the Amphions, is they still let me hear the song, flaws and all, but not in such a way that it completely did in the enjoyment, or my ability to appreciate what a record got right.

The positive mix comments I've been getting lately have also cemented their spot behind my desk. I recently won back a client I had go with another mixer for a single album. First mix we did back together he made the comment that we had never gotten a record done that quickly before. The only mix note I received back was "lead vocal slightly up, and a tad drier." And mind you this one of my most picky and detail-oriented clients.

Longer reply than I meant to post, but think I've been holding on to some pent up Amphion love lately
Old 17th November 2022 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georges ➡️
Glad to hear you're someone who's circled back around to a passion. It can be hard to keep those going. Also agree with you on how these are easy to get excited about. Was fairly skeptical of this whole thread before. Originally suspected there was a fair amount of self-fulfilling groupthink around here, but these really do inspire you to get back to work.

There's an intangible thing with them I hadn't gotten previously. With my last speakers (Barefoot), I got good to great mixes, but sometimes I'd want to do a "vibe" reference, and palette cleanse with some favorite records, say a 90s grunge era track, or 60s/70s/80s classics. When I would do that on the Barefoots, the presentation didn't always feel musical. Some older favs were now damn near unlistenable. I could only focus on technical things rather than delivery and emotion. Records I thought I knew in and out often became foreign. I could see every tree in 4K, but not always the forest. I would lose track of artistic intent more often than I ever had before, or would ever care to admit. I didn't believe speakers could, or should, have that much impact on your basic perception of a song, but they really can.

The difference with the Amphions, is they still let me hear the song, flaws and all, but not in such a way that it completely did in the enjoyment, or my ability to appreciate what a record got right.

The positive mix comments I've been getting lately have also cemented their spot behind my desk. I recently won back a client I had go with another mixer for a single album. First mix we did back together he made the comment that we had never gotten a record done that quickly before. The only mix note I received back was "lead vocal slightly up, and a tad drier." And mind you this one of my most picky and detail-oriented clients.

Longer reply than I meant to post, but think I've been holding on to some pent up Amphion love lately
It's all about what a speaker makes you do. And how easy it is, doing it.
Old 20th November 2022 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro ➡️
Hello,

I love my One 15.

But they lack that low end for my EDM and house tracks

Is anybody using them with success with a subwoofer ? Which one?

I am thinking about purchasing the Focal Sub One ?

Does it need then, room dsp correction, when using the One 15 with the sub, like Sonarworks ? In other words, Is it worth using in this case, room acoustic dsp correction software ?

Thanks for sharing your experience

Regards

Sergio
Yeah I use them with a sub just tucked under and it’s a game changer for sure. Going to get the basetwo25s at some point too so that will improve it even more.
Old 20th November 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizz ➡️
Yeah I use them with a sub just tucked under and it’s a game changer for sure. Going to get the basetwo25s at some point too so that will improve it even more.
Hello and thanks for your reply,
Which model of sub are you currently using with your One 15?
Cheers
Sergio
Old 23rd November 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Is the ONE18's bass enough for mixing electronic pop music? Currently debating getting One18's or barefoot footprint 02's..I keep reading that the One18's are better for mixing but also that the footprints have better bass. So hard to choose honestly.
Old 24th November 2022 | Show parent
Gear Head

Is the general consensus that Amphions pair well with 3rd party subs?
What would be the preferred method, full bandwidth with a sub blended in, or crossed over?
Also would a passive radiator sub be preferred to match the Amphions?
If anyone with experience can give some advice.
Old 24th November 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkess ➡️
Is the general consensus that Amphions pair well with 3rd party subs?
What would be the preferred method, full bandwidth with a sub blended in, or crossed over?
Also would a passive radiator sub be preferred to match the Amphions?
If anyone with experience can give some advice.
When i used a sub I preferred with crossover, the two15 seemed to sound more precise that way since they worked less hard.
Old 26th November 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Does anybody know if Jim Williams AKA audioupgrades are still modding Adcoms? Im about to buy one thats on Ebay but dont want to pull the trigger until I know for sure they are still doing it.
Old 26th November 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear

I'm having a difficult time deciding between the amphion one18 and atc scm20asl pro.

Room is relatively small, 6ft x 8ft. Planning to add a sub to either of them in the future.

I produce and mix music as a hobby so the speakers will also be used for my day to day music listening.

Can someone share some thoughts?
Old 27th November 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromee ➡️
I'm having a difficult time deciding between the amphion one18 and atc scm20asl pro.

Room is relatively small, 6ft x 8ft. Planning to add a sub to either of them in the future.

I produce and mix music as a hobby so the speakers will also be used for my day to day music listening.

Can someone share some thoughts?
I've used both. Some will def disagree with this, but I do see the Amphions more as a world-class mixing tool than a "do everything/mixing/consumer listening and enjoyable" kind of speaker. If you get the mix right in the Amphions, they're likely gonna sound great everywhere. If that's what you need, get 'em!

ATC's 3-way 25 SCMa is really a special speaker that I would recommend to you as well. Rick Rubin has them in all his rooms at Shang ri la, and was super impressed with them. In fact, when I was there, Skrillex was in the smaller space in some kind of guest house looking thing across the way. I thought for sure they were the big boys, but nope, just the 25's absolutely boppin'. A really special speaker.
Old 5th December 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homunculus ➡️
Is the ONE18's bass enough for mixing electronic pop music? Currently debating getting One18's or barefoot footprint 02's..I keep reading that the One18's are better for mixing but also that the footprints have better bass. So hard to choose honestly.
It will depend on your room size. I'm in a room that's 16square meters, and even the One15 has enough bass for bass heavy music.
Old 10th December 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homunculus ➡️
Does anybody know if Jim Williams AKA audioupgrades are still modding Adcoms? Im about to buy one thats on Ebay but dont want to pull the trigger until I know for sure they are still doing it.
I'm pretty sure he is, but you can always call/email to check. http://audioupgrades.com/contact_us/conact_us.htm He modded mine back in March.
Old 18th December 2022 | Show parent
Gear Nut

I haven't posted on this thread before but I've loved reading from time to time. And it was influential in me wanting to hear Amphions in the first place. So, longtime Amphion user here. I compose TV scores in UK and in 2016 decided I needed to upgrade my studio monitors. Over a period of months I auditioned loads of speakers - worked on them for a week at a time - the ones I liked the most by far were the Two18. So I got them with Amp500. Loved them - the clarity, definition - my workflow seemed to speed up and my mixing certainly got better. Soon after I added BassTwo25 then upgraded to Amp700. So after 6 years, working with them pretty much every day, I still love my Amphions. Apart from the fact I still get a thrill from listening to them, the big takeaways for me are translation and no fatigue with constant listening. I'm going into a BBC dubbing studio tomorrow and I know my mixes will sound the same as they do in my place - and that's so reassuring. So, thank you Amphion - you've created wonderful work tools that are also a pleasure to listen to. I hope to visit you in Finland one day!
Old 18th December 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Got my pair a few days ago. I had never used monitors up to now, more than 10 years of making music. I used headphones all the time. Even used high end Audeze MM500 which I sold to fund these monitors and holy hell does this sound so freaking good. No headphone can compare to this. And these are for mixing?! I cant even imagine what audiophile speakers would even sound like. This is the most luxurious noise Ive ever heard. And Im currently in an untreated room! Hearing 24k Magic which I consider an amazing mix on these monitors are just mind blowing. I feel my love for producing and mixing has been re-invigorated. So happy to have these monitors! Im powering them up with Jim Williams modded Adcom 545. Now will be treating the room. Awaiting a pair of basstraps from GIK but will be buying little by little. Honestly just grateful for these forums that have so much info, sometimes its overwhelming but at least you can take your time to research and figure out the best solution for you.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Is anyone using the Behringer A800s with the Amphion one18s? I bought one (so its running at 220 watts as 8 ohm load). I planned to get another but I cannot go loud so thought I could leave it for a bit.

I want to know should I plan to just sell the a800 or get another and go into Bridged mode on both? I have had some tell me that using the Behringer with the Amphions is sacrilege? Whats the thoughts? The Amphion amps are really pricy but am I loosing out a lot not just going that way?
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambander ➡️
I've used both. Some will def disagree with this, but I do see the Amphions more as a world-class mixing tool than a "do everything/mixing/consumer listening and enjoyable" kind of speaker. If you get the mix right in the Amphions, they're likely gonna sound great everywhere. If that's what you need, get 'em!

ATC's 3-way 25 SCMa is really a special speaker that I would recommend to you as well. Rick Rubin has them in all his rooms at Shang ri la, and was super impressed with them. In fact, when I was there, Skrillex was in the smaller space in some kind of guest house looking thing across the way. I thought for sure they were the big boys, but nope, just the 25's absolutely boppin'. A really special speaker.
Tend to agree here. Whenever I'm done mixing with the Amphions, I don't find myself lingering and thumbing through Tidal like with some previous speakers. Once I'm done working on them, I'm happy to put them back in the toolbox and walk away, which in a way, I appreciate.

Not to say I don't enjoy listening to them, but I'd rather cast some music over to an old pair of hi-fi Focal speakers for that. It's even become a nice little routine. I'll export the Amphion mix(es) for the day, walk to the living room, start playing some familiar/contemporary stuff to recontextualize my ears while I tidy up or prep dinner. After 3-4 songs I'll then play my mix to see if it holds up when played among its "peers" in a casual setting. Been finding this a bit more useful than even the old car check routine.
Oop
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardNolan ➡️
Is anyone using the Behringer A800s with the Amphion one18s? I bought one (so its running at 220 watts as 8 ohm load). I planned to get another but I cannot go loud so thought I could leave it for a bit.

I want to know should I plan to just sell the a800 or get another and go into Bridged mode on both? I have had some tell me that using the Behringer with the Amphions is sacrilege? Whats the thoughts? The Amphion amps are really pricy but am I loosing out a lot not just going that way?
I have the A800 paired with the One18's at home. In the studio I have the Amp500 and Amp100's in a full Amphion Atmos rig.

I quite like the A800 compared to the Amphion amps and I haven't felt that it doesn't have enough power. My One18's are just two feet away on my desk, so I don't need that much loudness. I can't comment on the soundstage differences as the home setup is completely untreated, but I haven't noticed any major issues in translation from the Two18's in the studio to One18's at home.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Just received a used pair of Two18s. Has anyone compared the Two18s to Barefoot MM45s by chance? I am running an Adcom 545 JW modded with the Two18s, and I'm surprised how light the low end is compared to the 45s. First impression of course...maybe I just need more time to adjust.

I used to run One15s in my old space, and felt those were bass light as well, but just figured that's how the speakers sound due to their size. Hoping the amp is working correctly. Prefer not to shell out another $2K for the Amp700, but now I'm curious how it compares to the 545. I haven't heard the Amphions anywhere else, and the Adcom is the only amp I've had so I have no basis for comparison. The cables are homemade military spec twisted pairs.

Corner trapping and first reflection points are covered, but will be treating the room further in the coming month or so. Haven't done any measurements yet; just moved to this space about 6 months ago.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by JClay; 4 weeks ago at 07:18 AM..
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I have the Amp700 and both a set of Two18’s and a set of One15’s. I think the bass response has a lot to do with placement (and the room of course). Free standing they are a bit bass light and does not punch very hard in the low end. Running them like that I would recommend a sub if you want to feel the low end. Placed up against the front wall however, they both have plenty of dry and punchy bass, very defined.
I haven’t heard them myself but from what I’ve read in other threads the Barefoots have quite a lot of bass, maybe that skews your perspective?
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have the Amp700 and both a set of Two18’s and a set of One15’s. I think the bass response has a lot to do with placement (and the room of course). Free standing they are a bit bass light and does not punch very hard in the low end. Running them like that I would recommend a sub if you want to feel the low end. Placed up against the front wall however, they both have plenty of dry and punchy bass, very defined.
I haven’t heard them myself but from what I’ve read in other threads the Barefoots have quite a lot of bass, maybe that skews your perspective?
May I ask how you use both pair and why do you have both ?
I have and love One15 + Flexbase, but I moved into a bigger room ( 40m2 with 3m high ceiling) and I may want to try Two18 just for fun.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownSideUp ➡️
May I ask how you use both pair and why do you have both ?
I have and love One15 + Flexbase, but I moved into a bigger room ( 40m2 with 3m high ceiling) and I may want to try Two18 just for fun.
A bit of a coincidence I guess. I had a set of Neumann KH 80’s with the KH 750 and MA 1 room correction system but wanted to try some higher end monitors. I found the Two18’s with the Amp700 used at a pretty good price so I bought them and was really impressed. Shortly after that I found a set of used One15’s without an amp at a pretty good price so bought them too just to experience them really, thinking I’d sell the ones I like the least. Bad idea as it turns out because I still have them all trying to decide which ones to let go of every day. They are all excellent in their own way. For the money the Neumanns are actually hard to beat, at least when calibrated (without the calibration, they’re a completely different set of speakers).
The Two18’s are more relaxed sounding than the One15’s, especially in the mids. They do sound like a bigger speaker, a bit punchier and they are deeper sounding. The One15’s are more upfront and a bit obnoxious (in a good way). They are very fast sounding with very good transient detail. I think it’s easier to hear compression accurately on the One15’s but the Two18’s are better for time based effects like reverbs. They have a lot in common but also differ enough to make it hard to decide which ones to keep. Maybe I need to try a pair of Two15’s too…
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just had a tweeter die for the 2nd time on the same One 15 speaker. The other speaker has no issues, so now I'm wondering if it going is being caused by something other than bad luck.

Has anyone had this issue before?
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by machinated ➡️
Just had a tweeter die for the 2nd time on the same One 15 speaker. The other speaker has no issues, so now I'm wondering if it going is being caused by something other than bad luck.

Has anyone had this issue before?
Too loud, too long? I monitor very quietly 95% of the time.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by momomel ➡️
Too loud, too long? I monitor very quietly 95% of the time.
I don't monitor too loud, never popped a tweeter on my ns10's or other monitors. I can't rule it out for definite but it seems strange that one speaker has had the same issue twice and the other is fine. If they were being slammed into oblivion, presumably both would fail at a similar rate.

I spoke to the store I bought it from, I don't think they can do anything for a week but I was told newer units come with a protection circuit which I think seems worth the upgrade...
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by machinated ➡️
I don't monitor too loud, never popped a tweeter on my ns10's or other monitors. I can't rule it out for definite but it seems strange that one speaker has had the same issue twice and the other is fine. If they were being slammed into oblivion, presumably both would fail at a similar rate.

I spoke to the store I bought it from, I don't think they can do anything for a week but I was told newer units come with a protection circuit which I think seems worth the upgrade...
I see. One unit may have wrong crossover connection so that low frequency keeps leaking to the tweeter cables. I would check if the crossover is working correctly first. You can compare 2 units removing both tweeters. Send the sine wave at different frequencies and measure the voltage at the tweeter cables.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by momomel ➡️
I see. One unit may have wrong crossover connection so that low frequency keeps leaking to the tweeter cables. I would check if the crossover is working correctly first. You can compare 2 units removing both tweeters. Send the sine wave at different frequencies and measure the voltage at the tweeter cables.
This sounds like it could be a culprit, I'm going to have KMR check the speakers over once their tech department is back after christmas and I'll make sure they check the crossover just in case that's what's causing the tweeters to go.
Lives for gear

Quote:
A bit of a coincidence I guess. I had a set of Neumann KH 80’s with the KH 750 and MA 1 room correction system but wanted to try some higher end monitors. I found the Two18’s with the Amp700 used at a pretty good price so I bought them and was really impressed. Shortly after that I found a set of used One15’s without an amp at a pretty good price so bought them too just to experience them really, thinking I’d sell the ones I like the least. Bad idea as it turns out because I still have them all trying to decide which ones to let go of every day. They are all excellent in their own way. For the money the Neumanns are actually hard to beat, at least when calibrated (without the calibration, they’re a completely different set of speakers).
The Two18’s are more relaxed sounding than the One15’s, especially in the mids. They do sound like a bigger speaker, a bit punchier and they are deeper sounding. The One15’s are more upfront and a bit obnoxious (in a good way). They are very fast sounding with very good transient detail. I think it’s easier to hear compression accurately on the One15’s but the Two18’s are better for time based effects like reverbs. They have a lot in common but also differ enough to make it hard to decide which ones to keep. Maybe I need to try a pair of Two15’s too…
Thanks for the reply. I had One18 ( but in a small room), so I recognize the 18 signature in way you describe.
I love the punch and fast/clear transients of the 15s and I am definitely intrigued by Two15, specially now that my new room is so long ( 10m x 4m) I can adjust where I seat, all the way. So they would probably not suffer from a "back wall". I'll try to demo them some day!

And for the fun of it, I had found a really cheap ( and beautiful all white) pair of 7LS, almost new, well by the time I secured and appointment with the guy, he decided his new pair with more bass ( lower model of Dynaudio) was kinda artificial, and his 7LS were exquisite in the mids. maybe next time!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
has anyone compared a one 18 setup with hedd type 20's?
Gear Head
Quote:
Thanks for the response. Yes, I agree that the MM45 have a lot of bass, so I probably need more time to adapt.

I had a hunch about the back wall, because that was the case with the One15s in my old space. Wasn't sure if that was also applicable to the Two18s, but will try moving them back towards the wall tonight. They are currently free-standing about 1'8" from the back wall, on the monitor platforms of my Buso Audio desk.
📝 Reply