Quantcast
Amphion... Beautiful - Page 300 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Amphion... Beautiful
Old 4 weeks ago
  #8971
Lives for gear
 
Robb Robinson's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxmfrlv ➡️
I would like your advice, which monitors would be suitable as complementary to one18 (maybe scm25 or scm45) or is it just time for me to upgrade to two 18 ?
I still have both Amphion and ATC and I prefer Amphions for mixing when I need to prioritize on stuff that matters, and I prefer mastering on ATCs because they give me that wide mosaic view great for making high confidence decisions.

They are very different speakers. You mix *to* the Amphions and *with* the ATCs.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #8972
Lives for gear
 
bambamboom's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieca ➡️
I'm the proud owner of Amphion 18 with amp700 from a few days.

My room is quite small (16m2) and well treated.
I'm coming from focal twin 6be with sub 6.
I've spend a lot of time this summer reading all pages of this tread. And ALL THIS HYPE IS TRUE !!!!

The imaging is really incredible,really 3d, speakers disappears, the sound is so great !

It's like my focals were broken.

Thanks you all for your posts.

Cheers
There is a very good reason behind why this is thread is so enormous with so many views and posts.

There is certainly hype, but if that hype were not true then this thread would have been a long forgotten memory. Instead it has endured for SEVEN YEARS (and counting)!

I am still delighted to this day for choosing Amphion. Congrats on your (wise) decision.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #8973
Lives for gear
 
Shaggy2039's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Is there any danger in trying the Amp 500 on the One 15's? I have them here in my studio finally and I just find the Amp 700 to be a little more forgiving / smooth then what I'd like. They sound absolutely ridiculous in my room with the 700 -- almost TOO GOOD - so I want to plug my 500 into them but I don't want to blow them.

I really wish I had the Amp 100 as they're pure Class D and no buffer.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #8974
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Want to trade your Amp500 for my Amp100?


I would throw in some cash, of course.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy2039 ➡️
Is there any danger in trying the Amp 500 on the One 15's? I have them here in my studio finally and I just find the Amp 700 to be a little more forgiving / smooth then what I'd like. They sound absolutely ridiculous in my room with the 700 -- almost TOO GOOD - so I want to plug my 500 into them but I don't want to blow them.

I really wish I had the Amp 100 as they're pure Class D and no buffer.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #8975
Gear Maniac
 
Oskari J.'s Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy2039 ➡️
Is there any danger in trying the Amp 500 on the One 15's? I have them here in my studio finally and I just find the Amp 700 to be a little more forgiving / smooth then what I'd like. They sound absolutely ridiculous in my room with the 700 -- almost TOO GOOD - so I want to plug my 500 into them but I don't want to blow them.

I really wish I had the Amp 100 as they're pure Class D and no buffer.
It's fine!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #8976
Lives for gear
 
MRSEED's Avatar
 
anyone here heard any German Sonics Anima along side the Amphions, One15 for example?

I haven't got Spiral Groove money, I might eventually have Amphion money (next year) - but I have Sonics Anima (used) budget now. Hence the question.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #8977
Lives for gear
 
Shaggy2039's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oskari J. ➡️
It's fine!
Great thanks!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boom ➡️
Want to trade your Amp500 for my Amp100?


I would throw in some cash, of course.
Thanks for the offer but I like my Two 15's too much with the 500!

I'm just demoing the One 15 in my room since I had to move into a much smaller space. Going to try the 500 on the One 15's now.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #8978
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I remember preferring amp100 to amp500 on one15's by quite a margin. Not sure how that heIps you, but......
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #8979
Lives for gear
 
Shaggy2039's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➡️
I remember preferring amp100 to amp500 on one15's by quite a margin. Not sure how that heIps you, but......
Was there any particular thing you remembered about the differences between the two amps? Like was the top end different, etc?

What I'm trying to do is create the exact experience I had with my Two 15's in my bigger studio, but in the smaller room. So far the Two's just have way too much low end mass / weight with them being so close to the sidewalls which are only 7.5 feet wide.

The Amp 700 with the One 15 sounds crazy good in here but I don't know if it's revealing enough harshness or mid range issues, honestly. Maybe I just have get used to them but they really sound very hi fi and pristine. Or atleast it's missing the more "brutal" (for lack of a better word) sound of the 500 where if the top end is wrong in a mix it'll blow your ears off.

I have my old Adam A7's up next to them and I've been going back and forth....The Adams are no slouch even though they're much older. They're more brutal, revealing in terms of overall mid range - especially 1-2Khz area but their main superpower is their ability to show how much reverb you have on a signal with unbelievable detail. At 5% wet I can hear reverb tails on them and how much it's affecting the signal.

The One 15's beat the Adams in terms of sub info, bass and low mids, high frequencies above 10Khz, speed and imaging.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #8980
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy2039 ➡️
Was there any particular thing you remembered about the differences between the two amps? Like was the top end different, etc?

What I'm trying to do is create the exact experience I had with my Two 15's in my bigger studio, but in the smaller room. So far the Two's just have way too much low end mass / weight with them being so close to the sidewalls which are only 7.5 feet wide.

The Amp 700 with the One 15 sounds crazy good in here but I don't know if it's revealing enough harshness or mid range issues, honestly. Maybe I just have get used to them but they really sound very hi fi and pristine. Or atleast it's missing the more "brutal" (for lack of a better word) sound of the 500 where if the top end is wrong in a mix it'll blow your ears off.

I have my old Adam A7's up next to them and I've been going back and forth....The Adams are no slouch even though they're much older. They're more brutal, revealing in terms of overall mid range - especially 1-2Khz area but their main superpower is their ability to show how much reverb you have on a signal with unbelievable detail. At 5% wet I can hear reverb tails on them and how much it's affecting the signal.

The One 15's beat the Adams in terms of sub info, bass and low mids, high frequencies above 10Khz, speed and imaging.
I remember the 500 comparativeIy congested in the top haIf and the 100 cIear as day. 500 more numb, 100 IiveIy and free.

With one18's it becomes a 'do you want the beef or the cIarity' choice of amps, neither ideaI, but the 100 has enough for the one15's to not feeI Iean in a bad way (which to me it does with one18's). 100 + one15's is a pretty damn happy combo.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #8981
Lives for gear
 
Shaggy2039's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➡️
I remember the 500 comparativeIy congested in the top haIf and the 100 cIear as day. 500 more numb, 100 IiveIy and free.

With one18's it becomes a 'do you want the beef or the cIarity' choice of amps, neither ideaI, but the 100 has enough for the one15's to not feeI Iean in a bad way (which to me it does with one18's). 100 + one15's is a pretty damn happy combo.
Sounds like the 100 and 500 play by the same rules with their design and the 100 probably gives the One 15 that same direct, raw sound that the 500 gives on the Two 15's, albeit on a smaller scale. I would love to hear the 100 with One 15's but it's hard to justify spending money on a third Amphion amp just to find out.

What's blowing my mind is that all the impressions I've read about the One 15 is that it's dramatically less low end than the others in the Amphion line up, but in this tiny room they sound huge. They absolutely go down to 40hz area and the last REW sweep I did shows that clearly. They sound like a tight, full range, compact monitor in here.

Conversely, the guy I picked these up from here in NYC has a room that's 3X the size of mine and when I heard them in his room I thought they were definitely missing that 40hz octave. He went and bought the Two 15's which just fit his room better.

Last thing, these One 15's were only used for like 20 hours of burn when I picked them up. I've been using them the last few days but not really burning them in since they're at home and it would keep everyone up. It'll be interesting to see how they sound a week from now.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #8982
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy2039 ➡️
Sounds like the 100 and 500 play by the same rules with their design and the 100 probably gives the One 15 that same direct, raw sound that the 500 gives on the Two 15's, albeit on a smaller scale. I would love to hear the 100 with One 15's but it's hard to justify spending money on a third Amphion amp just to find out.

What's blowing my mind is that all the impressions I've read about the One 15 is that it's dramatically less low end than the others in the Amphion line up, but in this tiny room they sound huge. They absolutely go down to 40hz area and the last REW sweep I did shows that clearly. They sound like a tight, full range, compact monitor in here.

Conversely, the guy I picked these up from here in NYC has a room that's 3X the size of mine and when I heard them in his room I thought they were definitely missing that 40hz octave. He went and bought the Two 15's which just fit his room better.

Last thing, these One 15's were only used for like 20 hours of burn when I picked them up. I've been using them the last few days but not really burning them in since they're at home and it would keep everyone up. It'll be interesting to see how they sound a week from now.
They have aII the info as long as you give them a room they can lean up against. In a big, loose room they get lost, yes. Sounds like yours will still get rounder below and softer up top as well then.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #8983
Lives for gear
 
Robb Robinson's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➡️
I remember preferring amp100 to amp500 on one15's by quite a margin. Not sure how that heIps you, but......
Yes, this is 100% the case with me as well. Amp100 is less 'pushy' and suits the One15 response very well.

Where the Amp500 really comes alive is when you mono block them with the Two18s. Suddenly they relax (not pushy), the distortion drops, the dynamics stay lively throughout a much larger gain range, and best of all, the low mid to low end connection gets a serious kick in the pants.

Ive not heard the Amp700 but im assuming this was a result of their dual mono block Amp500 experimentations, realizing how much better the 18s sound with more power.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #8984
Lives for gear
 
Shaggy2039's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Robinson ➡️
Yes, this is 100% the case with me as well. Amp100 is less 'pushy' and suits the One15 response very well.

Where the Amp500 really comes alive is when you mono block them with the Two18s. Suddenly they relax (not pushy), the distortion drops, the dynamics stay lively throughout a much larger gain range, and best of all, the low mid to low end connection gets a serious kick in the pants.

Ive not heard the Amp700 but im assuming this was a result of their dual mono block Amp500 experimentations, realizing how much better the 18s sound with more power.
I have the One 15's running with the Amp 700 as they don't even make the 100 anymore and apparently this is the one for all of their monitors now. The 500 definitely felt like it was pushing the One 15's too hard -- the top end felt more crushed / fried. The 700 has more extension on the low end and is smoother up top.

I'd still love to hear these with the 100 though eventually.

Also, I've decided I'm buying these One 15's. No way they're leaving my studio. They sound perfect in this new tiny room.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #8985
Lives for gear
 
Dave_Ionic's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Robinson ➡️
Yes, this is 100% the case with me as well. Amp100 is less 'pushy' and suits the One15 response very well.

Where the Amp500 really comes alive is when you mono block them with the Two18s. Suddenly they relax (not pushy), the distortion drops, the dynamics stay lively throughout a much larger gain range, and best of all, the low mid to low end connection gets a serious kick in the pants.

Ive not heard the Amp700 but im assuming this was a result of their dual mono block Amp500 experimentations, realizing how much better the 18s sound with more power.
Actually I think the 700 came about not only because of dual mono blocks but also a lot of us using Adcoms. As they actually contacted me In a series of emails asking what it was about the Adcom’s modified by Jim Williams that made a different impression as they knew about the fact that we had shot out the Amphion amps vs the Adcom. They were quite aware of the Adcom use and it being a Class A/B Nelson Pass design took note.
It’s not surprising that the Amp 700 has a class A/B stage Whats even more interesting is Shaggy’s feeling about the Amp 700 with the One 15’s mirroring your reaction when we put the Adcom on the One15’s now so many years back.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #8986
Lives for gear
 
Robb Robinson's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Ionic ➡️
Actually I think the 700 came about not only because of dual mono blocks but also a lot of us using Adcoms. As they actually contacted me In a series of emails asking what it was about the Adcom’s modified by Jim Williams that made a different impression as they knew about the fact that we had shot out the Amphion amps vs the Adcom. They were quite aware of the Adcom use and it being a Class A/B Nelson Pass design took note.
It’s not surprising that the Amp 700 has a class A/B stage Whats even more interesting is Shaggy’s feeling about the Amp 700 with the One 15’s mirroring your reaction when we put the Adcom on the One15’s now so many years back.
Ah I didnt realize Amp700 has a different topology. Yes that Adcom we shot out long ago had a very solid sound. I remember it having great punch and a more musical tone than the Amp100, which was cleaner and more delicate in comparison. Both had their strengths depending on user tastes. Im now curious how the Amp700 pairs with Two18s..
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #8987
Gear Maniac
 
Robin Walsh's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Robinson ➡️
Ah I didnt realize Amp700 has a different topology. Yes that Adcom we shot out long ago had a very solid sound. I remember it having great punch and a more musical tone than the Amp100, which was cleaner and more delicate in comparison. Both had their strengths depending on user tastes. Im now curious how the Amp700 pairs with Two18s..
The combo sounds fantastic! I much prefer the Amp700. Using it with the BaseTwo25 here.
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
  #8988
Gear Maniac
 
Proac SM 100 vs One 18

Has anyone compared the ProAc SM 100 with the Amphion One 18?

I love how musical my SM 100 sound but feel like I could use more clarity and detail, however not at the cost of musicality, where I'd draw the line and stick with my SM 100s, which are a joy to enjoy music through.
Old 1 day ago
  #8989
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Anyone here using a Trinnov ST2 with their Amphion rig? Just got one to use with my Two18/BaseTwo25s and it's phenomenal. What a listening experience!
Old 23 hours ago | Show parent
  #8990
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoo69 ➡️
Anyone here using a Trinnov ST2 with their Amphion rig? Just got one to use with my Two18/BaseTwo25s and it's phenomenal. What a listening experience!
I have heard the same setup on a friends studio. One of the best monitoring I have ever heard.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 4028 views: 1162524
Avatar for Shaggy2039
Shaggy2039 6 hours ago
replies: 160 views: 60364
Avatar for StevenLMorgan
StevenLMorgan 25th May 2021
replies: 2257 views: 312614
Avatar for aremos
aremos 3 days ago
replies: 107 views: 14512
Avatar for dinococcus
dinococcus 24th March 2019
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump