The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Amphion... Beautiful
Old 21st March 2021
  #8791
Lives for gear
 
Paul_G's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I'm still loving the One15's so much. Nothing helps me nail the low mid like these babies. On ITB mixes they're essential.
Old 21st March 2021 | Show parent
  #8792
Lives for gear
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G ➡️
I'm still loving the One15's so much. Nothing helps me nail the low mid like these babies. On ITB mixes they're essential.
What in particular about ITB mixes as opposed to OTB mixes makes these essential?
Old 21st March 2021 | Show parent
  #8793
Gear Maniac
 
Oskari J.'s Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
That sounds strange. I don't find stuff poking out or getting buried that shouldn't be. Rather the opposite; a good mix holds together and everything has it's place from top to bottom. Du you have a REW file or graphs to share (frequency response/waterfall)?
Old 21st March 2021 | Show parent
  #8794
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 ➡️
What in particular about ITB mixes as opposed to OTB mixes makes these essential?
Not wanting to speak for Paul, but personally I can relate to that as I am finding them very telling about tone and "plasticness" and whether a plug stays or goes becomes more ruthless. Makes you work harder.
Old 21st March 2021 | Show parent
  #8795
Lives for gear
 
vsthalion's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
You forgot to mention how good the low end is!! I can’t believe how precise the low end is in these tiny speakers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➡️
Not wanting to speak for Paul, but personally I can relate to that as I am finding them very telling about tone and "plasticness" and whether a plug stays or goes becomes more ruthless. Makes you work harder.
Old 21st March 2021 | Show parent
  #8796
Gear Head
 
My one18 started distorting

It’s been a year since I purchased them the one18 and today i noticed something bad about them! While i was controlling some low end stuff during mixing i noticed distortion every time the kick hits! Even at very low volume! Switched to krk and there is no distortion! Then i went and did all the possible changes to make sure it wasn’t the speaker but no, their low driver distorted no matter what! Changed amp! Changed cables ! Changed routing! Compared with krk and adams which i had previously! Same volume same signal! No hope! Their seem to be damaged!
Old 21st March 2021 | Show parent
  #8797
Lives for gear
 
Paul_G's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 ➡️
What in particular about ITB mixes as opposed to OTB mixes makes these essential?


Using hardware just feels more natural and precise to me. It's how I trained.

Pro Tools mixes just feel a bit "stodgy" and plugs are still a fairly pale imitation of the hardware I use. So I find I need to spend more attention carving out the low mid and also reduce the "plastic" (thanks @ Karloff ) sound that digital still inherently has.

The Amphion's just highlight the problems very quickly and help me fix something I may miss first time around.
Old 21st March 2021
  #8798
Here for the gear
 
davidryanolson's Avatar
 
Two15 user. Moved into a room probably 3x bigger and waaay better treated. Now feeling like they might be too small for my room. Plus the low mid bump + subtle smiley face seems a little more obvious in an honest room.

Tempted to either move up to the Two18s or add the flexbase to the Two15s. Not sure yet. Any thoughts?

(Anyone looking for a pair of Two15s? )
Old 21st March 2021 | Show parent
  #8799
Lives for gear
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➡️
Not wanting to speak for Paul, but personally I can relate to that as I am finding them very telling about tone and "plasticness" and whether a plug stays or goes becomes more ruthless. Makes you work harder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G ➡️
Using hardware just feels more natural and precise to me. It's how I trained.

Pro Tools mixes just feel a bit "stodgy" and plugs are still a fairly pale imitation of the hardware I use. So I find I need to spend more attention carving out the low mid and also reduce the "plastic" (thanks @ Karloff ) sound that digital still inherently has.

The Amphion's just highlight the problems very quickly and help me fix something I may miss first time around.
Cheers both.

I generally prefer OTB mixes myself, so that’s interesting. The main difference I tend to hear between the two approaches, is depth, and a sense of each instrument being in its own space.
Old 21st March 2021 | Show parent
  #8800
Lives for gear
 
Paul_G's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 ➡️
Cheers both.

I generally prefer OTB mixes myself, so that’s interesting. The main difference I tend to hear between the two approaches, is depth, and a sense of each instrument being in its own space.
Definitely, that's why I think things feel a bit bloated ITB because it doesn't have that natural sense of depth that analogue or hybrid mixes have.
Old 21st March 2021 | Show parent
  #8801
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Interesting I get distortion with my one 18s when I’m at the lowest level of my monitor controller, but it’s completely gone when it’s a little louder. I assumed it was my monitor controller, don’t have a second set of passive speakers at the moment to trouble shoot. If you turn up the level on your one18s does the distortion go away?
Old 22nd March 2021 | Show parent
  #8802
Here for the gear
 
Updated BaseTwo25 System!

Surprised these haven't been mentioned here yet!

https://amphion.fi/amphion-announces...ension-system/

I may or may not have just ordered them....

Two rack unit, 2x700 watt amplifier with level and crossover point. (Last iteration was 2x900 watts, I believe)

Seems they listened to some user feedback on price point and these are slightly more competitive pricing-wise, while hopefully still delivering enough power.

They mentioned in the article that these won't have to to be placed directly below your Two18's and can be placed behind the large format console while the Two18's (or other monitors) can still be on the console bridge. Interesting.

I'll let you know how they are when they finally ship!
Old 22nd March 2021 | Show parent
  #8803
Lives for gear
 
swafford's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Just picked up a pair of One15 and they seem they will be a really nice compliment to the Dyno BM6a/BM9s I've been using for 10+ years (and one is starting to crap out). More of a mixing tool then listening - the BM6as are just so great to kick back and listen on. Looking forward to getting to know them and gratified to know the current mixes I'm finishing up as good.

Anyone finding no need for a sub? Doing mostly folk and country rock.
Old 22nd March 2021 | Show parent
  #8804
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford ➡️
Just picked up a pair of One15 and they seem they will be a really nice compliment to the Dyno BM6a/BM9s I've been using for 10+ years (and one is starting to crap out). More of a mixing tool then listening - the BM6as are just so great to kick back and listen on. Looking forward to getting to know them and gratified to know the current mixes I'm finishing up as good.

Anyone finding no need for a sub? Doing mostly folk and country rock.
No need for sub for mixing. Certainly not for folk and rock. Only for exciting the talent when in record mode, as they are not powerful enough to get people fully physically engaged like other speakers, but then they are 5 inchers, and for that they sound pretty damned big. I love their bottom end for the simple fact that it lets you know whether it is tight or not by how it handles it when you turn up the volume. A track with tidy bottom end, even big synth bottom end, goes pretty damned loud without crapping out. But if your bottom end is ropey and loose it craps out ugly as sin. To let you know. lol Has no manners or decorum. Just calls you bass end crap if it is. And won't let you play it loud either.
Old 22nd March 2021 | Show parent
  #8805
Lives for gear
 
swafford's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➡️
No need for sub for mixing. Certainly not for folk and rock. Only for exciting the talent when in record mode, as they are not powerful enough to get people fully physically engaged like other speakers, but then they are 5 inchers, and for that they sound pretty damned big. I love their bottom end for the simple fact that it lets you know whether it is tight or not by how it handles it when you turn up the volume. A track with tidy bottom end, even big synth bottom end, goes pretty damned loud without crapping out. But if your bottom end is ropey and loose it craps out ugly as sin. To let you know. lol Has no manners or decorum. Just calls you bass end crap if it is. And won't let you play it loud either.
Thanks. This is exactly what I was hoping.
Old 23rd March 2021 | Show parent
  #8806
Lives for gear
 
lowkey's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I used to have a pair of BM6 passives a while back. Beautiful speakers for hifi, but not revealing enough for mixing in my experience. I wish I kept them for my lounge room!

I’ve had the One15s for a few years now and have used them both with and without a sub. I make electronic music btw.

In one room I found the sub (an Adam Sub7)made it harder to mix and I definitely preferred mixing with the sub off. I liked to turn it on mainly to get a bit of vibe going while I was composing. But the sub got shipped out to the lounge room for TV and hifi duties.

In another room during COVID lockdown I found the sub worked really well. So it may depend on the room.

In my current place I’m back to no sub. I find that the information coming out of the One15s by themselves is very easy to hear and make good decisions on, even though they don’t put out enough bass to really feel.

I’d give them a go without a sub. They are surprisingly good down low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford ➡️
Just picked up a pair of One15 and they seem they will be a really nice compliment to the Dyno BM6a/BM9s I've been using for 10+ years (and one is starting to crap out). More of a mixing tool then listening - the BM6as are just so great to kick back and listen on. Looking forward to getting to know them and gratified to know the current mixes I'm finishing up as good.

Anyone finding no need for a sub? Doing mostly folk and country rock.
Old 23rd March 2021 | Show parent
  #8807
Lives for gear
 
swafford's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkey ➡️
I used to have a pair of BM6 passives a while back. Beautiful speakers for hifi, but not revealing enough for mixing in my experience. I wish I kept them for my lounge room!

I’ve had the One15s for a few years now and have used them both with and without a sub. I make electronic music btw.

In one room I found the sub (an Adam Sub7)made it harder to mix and I definitely preferred mixing with the sub off. I liked to turn it on mainly to get a bit of vibe going while I was composing. But the sub got shipped out to the lounge room for TV and hifi duties.

In another room during COVID lockdown I found the sub worked really well. So it may depend on the room.

In my current place I’m back to no sub. I find that the information coming out of the One15s by themselves is very easy to hear and make good decisions on, even though they don’t put out enough bass to really feel.

I’d give them a go without a sub. They are surprisingly good down low.
Thanks, very helpful!
Old 29th March 2021 | Show parent
  #8808
Gear Maniac
 
Oskari J.'s Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion ➡️
It’s been a year since I purchased them the one18 and today i noticed something bad about them! While i was controlling some low end stuff during mixing i noticed distortion every time the kick hits! Even at very low volume! Switched to krk and there is no distortion! Then i went and did all the possible changes to make sure it wasn’t the speaker but no, their low driver distorted no matter what! Changed amp! Changed cables ! Changed routing! Compared with krk and adams which i had previously! Same volume same signal! No hope! Their seem to be damaged!
I just found the same thing with my old pair when running some measurements. Can't seem to remember hearing that when they were new. Lo and behold, when accidentally touching one of the woofer mounting screws the sound changed. I then discovered that most screws had become barely finger tight over time. Torqued the screws again and it did a ton to resolve this!

Thus:

HEADS UP, AMPHION USERS: Remember to check the bolts once in a while! Don't over torque them though.
Old 30th March 2021 | Show parent
  #8809
Gear Addict
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oskari J. ➡️
I just found the same thing with my old pair when running some measurements. Can't seem to remember hearing that when they were new. Lo and behold, when accidentally touching one of the woofer mounting screws the sound changed. I then discovered that most screws had become barely finger tight over time. Torqued the screws again and it did a ton to resolve this!

Thus:

HEADS UP, AMPHION USERS: Remember to check the bolts once in a while! Don't over torque them though.
A guidance by Amphion on the torque settings would be helpful!
Old 30th March 2021 | Show parent
  #8810
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
So funny, The exact same thing just happened to me. I could hear a buzzing from one of my one18s, I thought I’d blown a driver, but it turns out ALL the bolts for the drivers and radiators were very loose. Much better than having to buy new woofers
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #8811
Lives for gear
 
adamj31's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion ➡️
It’s been a year since I purchased them the one18 and today i noticed something bad about them! While i was controlling some low end stuff during mixing i noticed distortion every time the kick hits! Even at very low volume! Switched to krk and there is no distortion! Then i went and did all the possible changes to make sure it wasn’t the speaker but no, their low driver distorted no matter what! Changed amp! Changed cables ! Changed routing! Compared with krk and adams which i had previously! Same volume same signal! No hope! Their seem to be damaged!
I think I remember a similar experience years back. Low end distortion. Replaced the rear passive radiator and it went away.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #8812
Lives for gear
 
DownSideUp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamj31 ➡️
I think I remember a similar experience years back. Low end distortion. Replaced the rear passive radiator and it went away.
has anyone A/B One15 and Two15 ? my reseller told me that for him, Two15 had a better imaging due to the low crossover, big waveguide tweeter surended by two woofer making almost a point source speaker.

do they really need even more space to breath ?

I'm happy with One15 and I should stop geeking but hey I'm a Gear-Slut ! maybe gearspace.com will alter my GAS, or just getting some Two15
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #8813
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownSideUp ➡️
has anyone A/B One15 and Two15 ? my reseller told me that for him, Two15 had a better imaging due to the low crossover, big waveguide tweeter surended by two woofer making almost a point source speaker.

do they really need even more space to breath ?

I'm happy with One15 and I should stop geeking but hey I'm a Gear-Slut ! maybe gearspace.com will alter my GAS, or just getting some Two15
All amphions cross at 1600 as far as I am aware....? And tweeter and wave guide on thos 15's the same too, no? So just two 5" drivers over one. I haven't tried two15s though so can't help with impressions.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #8814
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownSideUp ➡️
has anyone A/B One15 and Two15 ? my reseller told me that for him, Two15 had a better imaging due to the low crossover, big waveguide tweeter surended by two woofer making almost a point source speaker.

do they really need even more space to breath ?

I'm happy with One15 and I should stop geeking but hey I'm a Gear-Slut ! maybe gearspace.com will alter my GAS, or just getting some Two15
Two15 have a little more weight in the low mids, crossover is the same, I believe all are at 1600. If you have one15 and want more Amphion juice go for a pair of 18s
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #8815
Lives for gear
 
DownSideUp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➡️
All amphions cross at 1600 as far as I am aware....? And tweeter and wave guide on thos 15's the same too, no? So just two 5" drivers over one. I haven't tried two15s though so can't help with impressions.
yes! it's considered a low crossover apparently, and the designs still end up a bit different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx ➡️
Two15 have a little more weight in the low mids, crossover is the same, I believe all are at 1600. If you have one15 and want more Amphion juice go for a pair of 18s
Yes they cross at 1600Hz. Indeed the design might not be night and day and I don't need the extra low mids. I've also noticed Two15 have a bump at 15k up to 20k.

I don't want the extra juice either, just curious about the design. I have One18 ( for sale) and I'm at home with the 15s, be it one or two woofer. One18 is a different presentation, need more space, they are just different.

Flexbase hopefully will be an option here, soon I hope.

Last edited by DownSideUp; 3 weeks ago at 08:46 AM..
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #8816
Lives for gear
 
Shaggy2039's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownSideUp ➡️
has anyone A/B One15 and Two15 ? my reseller told me that for him, Two15 had a better imaging due to the low crossover, big waveguide tweeter surended by two woofer making almost a point source speaker.

do they really need even more space to breath ?

I'm happy with One15 and I should stop geeking but hey I'm a Gear-Slut ! maybe gearspace.com will alter my GAS, or just getting some Two15
The Two 15's have ridiculously good imaging and often times when I'm mixing, it's not so much about making a volume adjustment to make things fit, but actually a width adjustment. I'm toying with side processing way more since I got the Two 15's. Sometimes I just need to nudge a reverb send just tad wider to really get it bloom out around the mix more.

It's been an eye opener to say the least.

PS: Speaking of side processing, I HIGHLY recommend the new Blackbox M/S!

PPS: When people comment on the Two 15's having more low mids, I really think they're referring to Two 15's width / imaging of that region. I noticed on alot of my mixes that I'm using side EQ processing to make that area a little more narrow and it translates really well.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #8817
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy2039 ➡️
The Two 15's have ridiculously good imaging and often times when I'm mixing, it's not so much about making a volume adjustment to make things fit, but actually a width adjustment. I'm toying with side processing way more since I got the Two 15's. Sometimes I just need to nudge a reverb send just tad wider to really get it bloom out around the mix more.

It's been an eye opener to say the least.

PS: Speaking of side processing, I HIGHLY recommend the new Blackbox M/S!

PPS: When people comment on the Two 15's having more low mids, I really think they're referring to Two 15's width / imaging of that region. I noticed on alot of my mixes that I'm using side EQ processing to make that area a little more narrow and it translates really well.
Love the way you "notice yourself doing moves" as an outside viewer. Basically it, innit. See what it makes you do, try to remember and refine.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #8818
Lives for gear
 
DownSideUp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy2039 ➡️
The Two 15's have ridiculously good imaging and often times when I'm mixing, it's not so much about making a volume adjustment to make things fit, but actually a width adjustment. I'm toying with side processing way more since I got the Two 15's. Sometimes I just need to nudge a reverb send just tad wider to really get it bloom out around the mix more.

It's been an eye opener to say the least.

PS: Speaking of side processing, I HIGHLY recommend the new Blackbox M/S!

PPS: When people comment on the Two 15's having more low mids, I really think they're referring to Two 15's width / imaging of that region. I noticed on alot of my mixes that I'm using side EQ processing to make that area a little more narrow and it translates really well.
Thanks ! I'll try to check them out, they are really rare, and he's one of the biggest reseller in Europe although he doesn't even have them ( he's thinking about it because he got 3 inquiries recently).

Pretty cool place stocking ATC, Neumann, Psi and Amphion. we'll see!
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #8819
Lives for gear
 
Shaggy2039's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➡️
Love the way you "notice yourself doing moves" as an outside viewer. Basically it, innit. See what it makes you do, try to remember and refine.
Yup. Every monitor I've ever owned has me doing certain things over and over to get it to sound right.

I remember my old Adam A7s (V1 not V2) and I'd always dip something around 2K and boost around 200hz to thicken / warm it up a bit.

On my old Focal Twins I used to pull out 275hz area on almost everything but those damn speakers hated distortion of any kind on guitars or synths (something I LOVE about the Amphion is they take well to distortion) so I was always zeroing in on 3-4khz on the Twins and tweaking harshness.

Amphions have their own "guide path" that I try to follow.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #8820
Gear Head
 
Danny Bagadonuts's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I thought I'd share a quick note RE my experience with the Amphion amp 500 powering my Two18's vs. a Bryston 4B. I've been using the Amphion amp with the Two18's for a few months now, but after reading numerous comments in this epic thread I thought I'd audition a different amp to see if I preferred the sound.

TURNS OUT NO.

The Bryston sounded compressed, with a more forward/splatty 4K. The top top end seemed rolled off/less open than the amphion amp as well, with a noticeable flattening of the sound stage/front to back depth/detail in reverbs etc...

The amphion amp, which some have called clinical or "boring" in this thread actually really suits the subtle elegance of these monitors after hearing them with a more standard (rock n roll?) studio amp. I will say that the low end and low midrange did even out a little and felt slightly more solid with the Bryston, but it also felt flatter and less dynamic as a result (related to my feeling that the Bryston had a more compressed quality).

When listening to reference material and my own mixes I preferred the vocal tone and open spaciousness across the board with the Amphion amp.

I have no affiliation with Amphion or anything...just wanted to share my experience bc I know theres been lots of grumbling about diff amps powering these.

The only question I have left after today's shootout is...when do I pull the trigger on the Flex Base 25?!
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 3950 views: 1119380
Avatar for JblKid95
JblKid95 1 day ago
replies: 146 views: 56802
Avatar for JblKid95
JblKid95 9th October 2020
replies: 2171 views: 285654
Avatar for Earcatcher
Earcatcher 2 days ago
replies: 107 views: 12893
Avatar for dinococcus
dinococcus 24th March 2019
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump