Publison experiences - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Publison experiences
Old 9th April 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Publison experiences

Hi slutz,

Anybody here with any Publison product experiences?

It's really hard to find any audio examples about the Infernal Machine or the DHM 89 B2.

Anybody here that can post audio examples and/or share experiences?

Thanks!
Old 9th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidChild ➑️
Hi slutz,

Anybody here with any Publison product experiences?

It's really hard to find any audio examples about the Infernal Machine or the DHM 89 B2.

Anybody here that can post audio examples and/or share experiences?

Thanks!
I love the DHM89 but haven't used on in a VERY long time.

it's one of the most 'tape like" sounding digital delays and is a avery cool harmoniser as well.

it's all over She's So Unusual (Cyndi Lauper) if that's any help.
as far as I remember it's ALL of the delays on the record, and also the chorus guitar effect on Time After Time.
I don't think I used a different delay unit on anything... everything was the Publison.
Record Plant had two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdQY7BusJNU

I used the Infernal Machine a few times at Cherokee, but never grew to love it as much.

for one thing, it seemed a lot less reliable.

I seem to remember it's on this vocal I mixed there (probably on the guitar as well):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A4xBp2rizQ

DHM89 here too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKcTGDBJUt8
Old 9th April 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
thanks for your helpful feedback!
Old 13th April 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Anyone else with experiences on Publison products??
Old 15th April 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
nobody?
Old 16th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Maybe ask some UK Guys.....The Publison's were really Big over in old Blighty due to the high American Dollar at the time. The UK Scene had bands exploding so the making of 12" Remixes and use of FX was huge, and the fact Lexicon's and Eventide's cost Big Money, so AMS and Publison's alongside Bel Delays and others were Studio Fodder! Not to say Lex & Tides were not in Studios just maybe not so prolific!
Still the Explosion of Hardware Reverbs FX &, Synths & Sampling was fuelling the fire in a very Big Way!
Old 16th April 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I used the Infernal Machine 90 for years. Sounded every bit as good as the AMS DMX 15-80S, generally I used them for the same thing, the old stereo delay / mod sound. The front panel used soft buttons that were cranky as hell, and over the years the machines needed a lot of love, wasn't at all painful to walk away from them.

Last edited by jeffsochor; 16th April 2014 at 04:38 PM.. Reason: grammar
Old 25th April 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastByte ➑️
Maybe ask some UK Guys.....The Publison's were really Big over in old Blighty due to the high American Dollar at the time. The UK Scene had bands exploding so the making of 12" Remixes and use of FX was huge, and the fact Lexicon's and Eventide's cost Big Money, so AMS and Publison's alongside Bel Delays and others were Studio Fodder! Not to say Lex & Tides were not in Studios just maybe not so prolific!
Still the Explosion of Hardware Reverbs FX &, Synths & Sampling was fuelling the fire in a very Big Way!
Thanks for the recommendation, I'll look in the UK for such devices.
Old 10th May 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Anybody else with Publison experiences??
Old 11th May 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I always found AMS delays much more ubiquitous in UK studios than Publisons

While I liked the Publison 'more' most of the time (because they sounded much more like tape delay, rather than 'digital') the AMS had a sound of its own that's certainly different.
Old 12th May 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
i touched various publison machines and the only thing i can say is that they are all great somehow.. even edited an album once on theire infernal workstation..which had no bar ruler..so i had to cut just by ear like with a tape machine..and it worked just like that. Thats still a thing you couldnt do with modern daws really because theire jogging is not fluid and precise enough.. I once visted them in france to have a look to theire attempt to build a digital console..that wa the first time i have seen multiple tft's as a meter bridge.. Today that seems as an obvious idea..but is it really? But maybe they wasnt the first.. I just know that they developed smart stuff and that the owner appeard to be a real fulltime musican with gear manufactoring as hobby and not the other way around..what explains probably the good sound and developed design of all publison products. Only problem..they are very secret about theire tricks so repair is mostly an expensive sending to france and wait game. However..they still do repairs..and thats rather rare for products that are so long of the market.
Old 13th May 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It didn't help them that they developed a reputation as very difficult people to deal with.

But it was a very cutting edge product using a lot of proprietary concepts to accomplish its goals. One thing is certain, they had a unique sound that if you were partial to you had to have one on your mix.

Reliabilty was definitely an issue, and repairs were expensive and time consuming. I can't imagine trying to deal with that today.
Old 15th May 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman ➑️
I always found AMS delays much more ubiquitous in UK studios than Publisons

While I liked the Publison 'more' most of the time (because they sounded much more like tape delay, rather than 'digital') the AMS had a sound of its own that's certainly different.
I Agree 100% more so as the AMS Line originally were RMX/1580/S Inside the same unit (Dependant on which cards were installed), then as popularity rose as did affordability (In Studio Parlance) the 1580 and RMX became 2 separate and distinct devices with a flourish of Broadcast Options (1580's with No Keypad or 2 Nudge controls only), Chorus Controllers, Remotes and plenty of other Flanger/Phaser type stuff alongside the Scanner with Additional Reverb Algo's etc. And many still for sale to this day! Publison seemed more coveted due to it's many multifunctions and it's timing in release, though the Eventide SP2016 did much of what the H3000 did, it was when the H969 and H3000 hit that many went to that camp permanently. I can remember seeing Publison units used in plenty of Broadcast rooms sitting alongside AMS stuff.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
...then as popularity rose as did affordability (In Studio Parlance) the 1580 and RMX became 2 separate and distinct devices with a flourish of Broadcast Options (1580's with No Keypad or 2 Nudge controls only), Chorus Controllers, Remotes and plenty of other Flanger/Phaser type stuff...
I always thought the DM2-20 "Tape Phase Simulator" was their first-ever product.
...and only product of that kind (except for the extended delay time version, DM2-80).
Didn't know they even did plenty of flanger/phaser type stuff.
Still learning every day

Ok, sorry, back to Publison

Last edited by nednerd; 15th May 2014 at 09:43 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 15th May 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have and still use the IM-90 and DHM 89 B2 units. in my opinion, the DHM is the best rack delay unit I've ever used. The immediacy of controls, the ability to run in true stereo or not, the pitch shifting, sampling, and even the dedicated controls for start/end so you can reverse, truncate, or add a bit of pre-delay make it one of the most fun boxes to play. You can be fairly abusive with the controls in realtime and it seems to handle it with minimal glitching.

The IM-90 is less immediate, but the reverbs sound great and the delay/pitch shifting is also world class. The MIDI implementation for the iM-90 gives you a good degree of control over playing back pitch-shifted samples and you can chain multiple IM-90's together to play chords and such.

Sure in this day and age, that doesn't seem that impressive, but you can go retro and use it that way.

Bottom line is - they sound amazing. Audio comes out sounding better than the source. They constantly make me smile whenever they are used.

Bottom bottom line -- they are not user-repairable and generally not repairable by your average tech for a number of reasons that you can find via some searching. However, I recently had to send my IM-90 over to France and they did fix it up and send it back in a timely manner. It was costly (shipping heavy units overseas isn't cheap and their labor rates are not low), but it came back in great shape. I have a DHM that had PS problems and I got it most of the way back, but I may end up sending it over for repair as well. If you are looking to buy one, budget at least one round trip to Publison for servicing.
Old 15th May 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Listen to the electric piano in the intro of "I Can't Go for That" by Hall & Oates. That's got Publison all over it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccenFp_3kq8
Old 15th May 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I still own a Publison Fullmost Relief Enlarger..

what a name..

ItΒ΄s a bit dangerous since its such an extreme fx that i only use it when i have to..but you solve real difficult mix problems like a tiny voice versus the wall of guitars.. or vocal recording on a cheap dynamic mike. turn that into a condesor mike experience. unbelievable what it does to speech intelligibility..and on the sum.. thats the scary part.. so i try to have it just for the looks that insures me that anything can be fixed in the mix but thats better sport to do it without dirty tricks.
Old 15th May 2014
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
I have a DHM 89 B2 and it's hands down my favorite delay (I do really like the lexicon prime time 93 and pmc41/42 a lot but the publison is just something unique and special).

I've been using it a lot on vocals lately, mostly in pitch mode with delay and feedback not pitch shifted or just subtly shifted down. It does the reduced bandwidth thing the lexicon delays do but definitely sounds different. Really crazy box. Good subtle slapback, or lush delays where each repeat pitches down incrementally, or totally mangled shifting and reversed glitchy effects. Really versatile and sits well in the mix. No plugins sound like this at all that I've heard.

Big issue is if you have problems. They take forever (like maybe over a year) to get repairs done, and all the chips have the numbers filed off (although Roginator here and some other folks figured most of it out). Cross your fingers or buy two.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viruslabs ➑️
I still own a Publison Fullmost Relief Enlarger..

what a name..

ItΒ΄s a bit dangerous since its such an extreme fx that i only use it when i have to..but you solve real difficult mix problems like a tiny voice versus the wall of guitars.. or vocal recording on a cheap dynamic mike. turn that into a condesor mike experience. unbelievable what it does to speech intelligibility..and on the sum.. thats the scary part.. so i try to have it just for the looks that insures me that anything can be fixed in the mix but thats better sport to do it without dirty tricks.
That is just a wonderful unit, certainly looks like a Publison "Broadcast Effort for Serious Audio use only" as was always joked! Could we get detailed and very close up of the front panel, say even if it was just 1 channel, Man...that would be so great and much appreciated!
Thanks!
TLB.
Old 16th May 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Imagine the guy who does the "SHAM WOW" advertorials selling a "Publison Fullmost Relief Enlarger..?" in 2014......Lol
Old 16th May 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Imagine the guy who does the "SHAM WOW" advertorials selling a "Publison Fullmost Relief Enlarger..?" in 2014......Lol
Old 16th May 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy ➑️
I have and still use the IM-90 and DHM 89 B2 units. in my opinion, the DHM is the best rack delay unit I've ever used. The immediacy of controls, the ability to run in true stereo or not, the pitch shifting, sampling, and even the dedicated controls for start/end so you can reverse, truncate, or add a bit of pre-delay make it one of the most fun boxes to play. You can be fairly abusive with the controls in realtime and it seems to handle it with minimal glitching.

The IM-90 is less immediate, but the reverbs sound great and the delay/pitch shifting is also world class. The MIDI implementation for the iM-90 gives you a good degree of control over playing back pitch-shifted samples and you can chain multiple IM-90's together to play chords and such.

Sure in this day and age, that doesn't seem that impressive, but you can go retro and use it that way.

Bottom line is - they sound amazing. Audio comes out sounding better than the source. They constantly make me smile whenever they are used.

Bottom bottom line -- they are not user-repairable and generally not repairable by your average tech for a number of reasons that you can find via some searching. However, I recently had to send my IM-90 over to France and they did fix it up and send it back in a timely manner. It was costly (shipping heavy units overseas isn't cheap and their labor rates are not low), but it came back in great shape. I have a DHM that had PS problems and I got it most of the way back, but I may end up sending it over for repair as well. If you are looking to buy one, budget at least one round trip to Publison for servicing.
Thanks for sharing your experiences with Publison gear, now I just need to find these units somewhere for purchase - anybody selling them?
Old 27th May 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
bump
Old 29th May 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
bump
I guess you're not interested in paying $4000+ US for the ones listed on eBay?

So what is your (realistic) price range for an IM 90 or DHM?
Old 29th May 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy ➑️
I guess you're not interested in paying $4000+ US for the ones listed on eBay?

So what is your (realistic) price range for an IM 90 or DHM?
Β§4000+ is far away from my pricing ideas, I think below 2000 Euro is a fair price.
Old 30th May 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Β§4000+ is far away from my pricing ideas, I think below 2000 Euro is a fair price.
Then you'd better start looking around everywhere and asking every used gear store in the world because you'll be lucky these days to find one (in good working condition) for less than 3000 EUR. No one reading GS is going to give one away for 2000 EUR or below.

If you're going to buy an IM-90 or DHM, research the different variations (MIDI, remote, SMPTE, extended memory for the IM-90 and with/without Env switch, with/without extended memory, etc for the DHM) and if you find one not working, budget 1000 EUR to get it fixed at Publison.

I agree prices are high and I'll make you cry when I say all my DHMs cost less than 1000 EUR and the IM-90's were less than 2000 EUR (including one with a remote), but that was years ago, not today.
Old 4th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
IM 90 in EU can go up to 3k euro and DHM is really going up in prices … ive seen em going up to 2K euros !

so .. this boxes are high in price …….

I paid mine first DHM 89 just 100 euros ))) thing was that guy who sold me that and ursa major space station ( another 100 euro) got it in exchange and he thought they were broken since they only made sound of chipmonkeys hehehehe

and yeah Publison pitch shifting is out of this world really best one I've heard!

just for fun and my best deal on FX boxes ever!!

Old 6th June 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Nice videos, thanks for posting!
Old 17th August 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Just curious if by some chance someone out there has built a break out box for the DHM 89 keyboard interface? Given that the KB 2000 is rarely encountered and that it seems to me the communication is analog CV it would seem like a really promising thing to build given plentiful CV generating gear these days.
Old 17th August 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
nope but if you need here is list of PINS on DHM 89

1. +15v 100ma PS for external use
2. Digital ground
3. Frequency Controlled ratio L Channel
4. Memory Latch mode for bouth Channels ( by 0 volt pulse)
5. Crosspoint 1 L Channel
6. Crosspoint 1 R Channel
7. Pitch mode for bouth Channels ( with +5v Pulse)
8. ISS right ( inhibit front panel potentiometers )
9. Insertion Output R Channel
10. Insertion Input R Channel
11. Insertion Input L Channel
12. Left input of DHM 89 B2
13. -15v 100ma PS for external use
14. +5V 100ma PS
15. Analog Ground
16. Crosspoint 2 L Channel
17. ISS right ( inhibit front panel potentiometers )
18. Crosspoint 2 L Channel
19. Frequency Controlled ratio R Channel
20. Output "Bandwith 10khz" ( Hi level = +7,5v / Low level = -8.5v)
21. Output "Bandwith 5khz" ( Hi level = +7,5v / Low level = -8.5v)
22. Insertion Output L Channel
23. Output "Quasi Stereo" ( Hi level = +7,5v / Low level = -8.5v)
24. Right output of DHM 89 B2
πŸ“ Reply